What do you say to a friend who has just crashed his pride and joy ?

Ian Rayne

Advert

At a previous club I saw.

One member crush his model after placing it down at the end of a session and then inadvertently reversing over it. He was the local LHS owner but soon dissapeared from the scene.

Another member ( joined as a non flyer, learnt very quickly, progressed very quickly, became very knowledgeable very quickly but crashed alot) my last memory of him was launching a Futaba M series Transmitter about 100 feet after swinging it by the end of the aerial after his latest wipeout.

Never saw him again,

This was my local club about 35 years ago.

Regards

If the chap was, say 15 yrs old, I would say 'ah thats a shame' and do all I could to help him even to the donation of a model that flies well but that I no longer use. If he were 45, I would offer him a small plastic bag for the bits and suggest fishing or golf as the way forward.

Gazza

Gazza58, you were spot on, I was the 15 year old. To the best of my memory both were were in their 40's I think (because everyone looks old to a 15 year old). By the same same token, there were some great club members that inspired, helped and encouraged me at the time to which I'm eternally gratefull.

Sorry, I meant to say I was 15 years old at the time....

Gazza58, you were spot on, I was the 15 year old. To the best of my memory both were were in their 40's I think (because everyone looks old to a 15 year old). By the same same token, there were some great club members that inspired, helped and encouraged me at the time to which I'm eternally gratefull.

In my first flying career (about '84 to '93) I flew a lot but broke very few planes because I was too scared to push the envelope, everything being kit built at the time. The memory of the effort put into building them was too strong. As a result I got a bit bored and fed up with my skills failing to improve.

Starting up again a couple of years ago, first with a plane built in 1992 where the "newness had worn off" I was less wary about pushing my luck. Then at Christmas I treated myself to a Micro Stryker, because it's a shop bought "toy" I've really explored the envelope and strayed outside on many occasions. But as a result my flying has improved immensely.

My opinion is this: To improve you have to push the boundaries, sometimes it goes wrong, sure it's disappointing, live with it. Expensive model, try to stay inside the envelope. Cheap model, go for it.

Shaun

• 1 month later...

BBC, now I know what to do with that Sharkface of mine, on which I sat a few months backwink.

This was so painful to me, moments after the crash I usually want to jump off the bridge, cause nothing happens without a reason (me). This plane survived countless crashes (I got it logged, but lost the logcheeky), few flyaways, even a month on the top of the tree... and I just didn't notice it and broken whole thing. In addition, my son puzzled it even more, but no way I'm gonna bin it. She will fly soon (just setting off to Blackburn model shoplaugh), I have all pieces of fuselage, so it will be my first built plane alive again, with 100% original parts.

Even total devastation of my PZ Spit didn't impress me that much, but by the way - she is RTF now.

Cheers
Tom

PS I hope my Corben will meet another fate, but if something goes wrong - aliphatic glue is not expensive...