What do you say to a friend who has just crashed his pride and joy ?

Ian Rayne

Advert

Glad to hear he's OK, and flown again..

I NEVER fly my heli, unless my gut says it's OK... Sounds daft, but true.. There have been some lovely evenings i've past by cuz the voice in my head said 'no'...

I'd be SO upset if it went in, so I ONLY fly it when i know i'm 'In the Zone'..

BUT, it's a reality i've come to terms with, and except. 'It could come back in a bin bag'

My planes a different, mainly cuz most are my own-design foamies, so I have no fear about loosing them.. Just build another.. !!

I put my Edge in a tree yesterday, playing in strong wind, but laughed the whole thing off cuz I was aware I was playing close to the edge... If anything, I was more miffed that I dropped it, and broke the prop, as it was poked out the tree with a set of ladders...     Poo happens...

If YOU fly it, EXCEPT it's possible loss gracefully....

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 19/07/2012 23:18:37

Out for a walk a couple of nights back I spotted someone flying from the local slope site.

I stopped tosay hello and as he replied the model stalled and went down into a narrow path between stone walls.The tail assembly was broken off (it was an all moulded model)

Now I feel guilty, was it my talking to him that caused a loss of concentration and the crash?

I apologized and said I hoped it was repairable embarrassed

Posted by Mowerman on 20/07/2012 11:15:44:

Out for a walk a couple of nights back I spotted someone flying from the local slope site.

I stopped tosay hello and as he replied the model stalled and went down into a narrow path between stone walls.The tail assembly was broken off (it was an all moulded model)

Now I feel guilty, was it my talking to him that caused a loss of concentration and the crash?

I apologized and said I hoped it was repairable embarrassed

The lesson the pilot should have learned is of course "Under every circumstance ..... FLY THE PLANE!!"

Heh. It sounds like he was frustrated with himself, and probably knew what he did wrong to cause the crash. I get like that with things. I can't fly properly yet, so crashes are just, "Ho hum, did I learn something?"

But someone suggested kicking the family! Don't even joke about it! Rather dislocate your own hip and kick yourself!

I put my Cessna in a few weeks back.

After some 15 lights I had just got the hang of doing landings and go-a-rounds when I tip stalled it at about 15ft high. No chance of saving it. Smashed the front end in. I was a bit fed up with myself but learned something from it

Put it away to be looked at another day. The engine was ok and is in my Piper Pawnee 40.

I've lost count of the models I've crashed since I started in the 60's. I have had 2 flyaways but only one that didn.'t come home. In the early days the challenge was to get a successful flight due to unreliable radio and engines. Just had to get the next model ready and try again.The cost as a percentage of income was probably higher then and you had to build all the models from scratch. Happy days though.

john

He he John! Recently my long awaited and much cherished Britflight Breeze after 8 succesful flights(and 4 unexpected arrivals) was circle climbing quite happily overhead on 1/2 throttle, I detected a smashing thermal as the wings waggled and the nose rose up. I throttled back to tick over and trimmed slightly forward whilst tightening the circle and up she went. And up she went. And up she went. Oooops! Wings level, nose down, cut the throttle.... no response. And up she went. Fully crossed aileron and rudder to try a spin.........and up she went. Cloud base reached and just a dot now.... that was the last I saw of her as she was sucked into the forming CB(cumulo nimbus) cloud. Glider guiders would have been proud. My Breeze probably reached 25000ft before being spat out in several bits over the north sea. Hands in pockets I huffily trudged home empty handed, but by the time I got home (5 mins) to phone the London Air Traffic NOTAM section to report my sucked up model, I had already been fired up to finish the self designed traditional trainer I had started building and was grinning about the little Breezes soaring abilities. Hey ho.......lesson learned? Well, no so obvious really, sometimes difficult from the ground to determine if a standard Cumulus has started to 'go ballistic' when the rest of the 'cloud street' appears normal,, i.e. don't have anvil tops up to 30000ft.dont know

I totalled my beloved Edge today... Playing in the V strong wind, trying to get aerial footage of my parents house, so not my usual territory..

I came down between the 10ft hedges, to land on the quiet, straight country road, but I was at 90degs to the afore mentioned STRONG wind, and as I came past myself, stood by the car, and the OPENING in the hedge, the wind literally flipped the plane over, and in... Only about 4-5ft up, but on 2/3 throttle... It disintegrated on the rough tarmac..

Never mind.. It can be re-born with bit of splicing here and there... and there, and there, and there.......

In one word.... DOH.. !!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 23/07/2012 22:40:21

i totalled my telemaster on its third flight.

yes i was upset, who wouldn't be, but throwing a strop is silly.

the parts are sitting in the corner while i debate what to do with it.

my breeze has been crashed so many times now that it is held together with sticky tape.

(low level inverted flights do tend to be risky lol)

WOW! Smashed his transmiter too? Geeze I'd honestly do exactly as I've just done. I've been crashing a lot latley... Duno why. I wanted to throw my TX and stopped myself. I wanted and almost did trash my new f-18 that wouldn't rotate. But in the end I took a deap breath picked up my model chewed som gum and then got out my trusty trainer. It fly's, it's docile and it always comes home. So tell him to relax and fly with something that's meant to fly well and easy.

• 3 months later...
Posted by Tony Bennett on 24/07/2012 08:32:02:

" i totalled my telemaster on its third flight.

yes i was upset, who wouldn't be, but throwing a strop is silly.

the parts are sitting in the corner while i debate what to do with it."

Shoudn't be too much of a problem for a modeller of your skills and experience Tony, after all, the Telemaster is pretty much all straight lines! smiley

Dave Davis

Formerly Sole Proprietor of Telemaster Sales UK.