Hi All, Since assembling my Phoenix glider two weeks ago I have now had 5 long flights with it ( 3 flat field and 2 off the slope) and I am more than happy with the model.

However -I thought I would ask- I am using a 3s2200 LiPo battery as a power source - to get anywhere near Cog it is sat off the rear of the battery pan - (approx half on half off!).

I pack it in place so no problem, but I was wondering have others found this issue also?

Edited By Harry Twist on 18/06/2017 22:56:31

Yes, the CoG is a long way forward with battery central on the tray. I moved my battery tray back as well as sticking some weights on the tail.

My motor failed and I replaced it with a HK Gliderdrive 960kv motor with a 12x6 prop. That combo draws 22 amps on a 3S battery which gives reasonable performance but there's more on tap without over stressing anything if you go up to (say) 13x6.

Geoff

Hi there Harry Twist, I have been flying the Phoenix 2000 and 1600 as well, for the past two years., They are absolutely great gliders, once a few minor tweaks have been sorted out. Now that you have had a few flights and got familiar with the basic pros and cons of this great glider, may I suggest that you consider sifting through this ginormous thread????

Many owners have contributed their suggested mods and photos to help the rest of us further enhance the Phoenix 2000 performance, and set up. Also bear in mind that, what suits one pilot, may not be the next ones flying style.

Personally, (but that's just me) I prefer the stock 10X6 prop and stock motor. I use Zippy 3S 35C 1500. I velcro this lipo to a six inch ruler, and slide that under the servos mounted in the fuse. I have settled for a CofG at 85mm on calmer days, but 80mm on windier days. I motor to 150 feet, and hunt around for a thermal or two, and keep the Red Kites company, or sometimes they join me. I can get flights up to two hours with just 3minutes motor time on one lipo.

I am not boasting, but merely reasuring you to experiment, with the stock gear first and get familiar with the capabilities of the plane, and of course develop your own skills and styles.

Recently I bought a FrSky variometer to go with my Taranis. Yes just another bit of fun, but it does help me guage what the glider is doing when it's five ir six hundred feet up there.

Check out what SpeedsterDen is able to do with his P 2000 sloping on some small sand dunes. He also does a bit of Dynamic soaring there. There's lots to do with your plane just utilising the natural airs around you

Enjoy your Phoenix.

Go With the Flow

Bruce.

My experience with the Phoenix 2000 is probably similar to Bruce's and Steve's. All I did with mine out of the box was fit flap servos, put on the stickers and fly it. I use the Zippy 3S 1500s and even they need the to be set fairly well back to get the c of g right. I have no doubt that 3S 1300 is perfectly adequate. It flies very well and gets to height fast, flight duration is all you need. I can't see any point in adding the weight of a 2200 Lipo and reducing performance. For me it is a powered glider and a very good one. When I bought it I'd been thinking of buying a Multiplex Heron but decided that although more sophisticated and an expert's choice, it certainly wasn't worth paying 3 times as much for and I'm not disappointed with the Phoenix 2000.

I use 3S 1350 Zippy compact batteries pushed right to the back stop of the tray.

I have 10g weight right at the back of the fuselage to get stock C of G.

My first Phoenix I used 3S 2200 on the stock tray, so the fuselage must have been a bit heavier.

My brother akways runs 3S 2200 batteries in his P2k but I don't see any advantage.

Hi All, Many thanks for all your comments ref batteries and CoG etc. I totally agree - adding lightness is the aim where possible(!) I have been using the 2200 3S since it was available from another model. Having read the above, I think I will go down to 1300mah and benefit from a few less ounces! My model has the stock set up and I have added a couple of servos for flap actuation.

Very happy with its performance so far.

Regards H

I use 3S 2200 LiPos in mine mainly because they're the batteries I have but I get bored and land long before they're anywhere near fully depleted. I have a FrSky altimeter/variometer in mine and try to get up to 200 metres and see if I can glide for 10 minutes but I need good visibility before I fly as high as that.

Not flown it this year, though.

Geoff

Hi trebor, I reckon that, if you think you're going to find staying aloft with a glider boring, then maybe you should look at another branch of the hobby?????. I'm not being disrespectful, it just sounds like you're not quite sure what you want to fly.

I suggest that you go along to the local flying club, or flying site and check out what the others are flying. If you see a flying model or flying style that takes your fancy, then chat to the pilot to find out more about it. Check out the costs and then buy it.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Only asking which one you like flying more, no one has this model at our club. I've never had a glider so any advise appreciated. I fly from a flat field mostly but also live near the south coast so maybe leaning towards the 1600 version dont know

• 9 months later...

Just done the maiden of my 2000. 36.36 920kv motor. 2200 3 cell batt pushed back to the servos. 6 servos setup in 5 flight modes. Takeoff, Cruse, Thermal. Acro full wing ailerons. CG at 70mm. Only other change was i packed the front of the horizontal stab up just over 1mm no noticeable climb at full throttle. Got a 5 amp ubec on the battery tray with the esc underneath, may move the ubec later and try it with a 1300 battery as it gives the same c of g as the current setup.

Thats made the thread a bit longer. lol