Perhaps you should cal it a Phoenix 78.74?????

In all seriousness I have seen one fly they go very well, I guy where our holiday house is has one, almost bought one myself but bought its baby cousin the Kinetic800.

There is a video of the Phoenix here, albeit an R2 one (same thing different stickers)

Well,

Having ordered it at just before midnight from the UK warehouse, ITS ON ITS WAY!!!

Thats great service compared to the days long wait from the HK warehouse! Postage was quite reasonable also considering it is Parcelforce 48hr!

Conway Soarer, Great Video. Are you going to the PSS meeting in a few weekends time on the Lleyn Peninsula? If so, Will see you there with this model!!

Davesmiley

Posted by David Gilder on 19/07/2012 14:04:36:

Conway Soarer, Great Video. Are you going to the PSS meeting in a few weekends time on the Lleyn Peninsula? If so, Will see you there with this model!!

Davesmiley

Going south for the summer Dave so will miss the Lleyn PSS, back in September with a few new models if this weather persists. Have fun with the Phoenix!

Right then....

Here goes with the build (put it together) review!!

Firstly.... How was the packaging?

The parcel was a large brown box that was well packed. There was a little bit of transit damage on the outer box, but this had not tranferred to the model box inside.

100_0491.jpg

Once opened I found plenty of bubble wrapping to prevent any damage!

100_0492.jpg

Under this was the model box itself!

100_0493.jpg

So,

Out of the big outer brown box!!

100_0494.jpg

This box was sealed with 2 tapes on each side and again at the ends.

Once opened the model was found to be well packaged with the wings, tailplane and fin all wrapped up in bubble wrap bags.

100_0495.jpg

cont:

Having removed all the items from the box, It was time for a "group picture!"

100_0496.jpg

The hardware pack is very substantial containing all the horns, screws, bolts,servo arms, linkages carbon fibre wing brace, wing joiner, a propless nosecone for pure gliding and even 2 Y leads!!

So really quite a substantial kit!

100_0499.jpg

The wings come with the Aileron servos pre installed and has pre formed flaps if you want flaps on your model!

I will not be using these yet till I have flown the model and seen if it really needs them!

The fuselage comes with the Rudder and Elevator servos already installed and connected to the snakes through the fuselage.

100_0501.jpg

In the nose, we find the motor and ESC pre installed and velcro for the battery a plenty!

100_0500.jpg

The ESC is fitted with a Deans connector but not a big issue if you want to change this to your preffered method!

The recommended Lipo is a 3Cell (11.1v) 1300 - 1800 but there is room for a 2200 which is what I plan to use!

cont:

The first thing to fit is the horizontal stabaliser.

You push the first bracket up through the fuselage and then mount the second half through the horizontal stab. these then mate up and are locked together by 2 screws.

100_0504.jpg

100_0505.jpg

As you can see, the horizontal stab is reinforced with corbon rods that are pre installed.

The fin then slotts into the top bracket and is secured by 2 scres through the bracket.

100_0506.jpg

This has provided a very secure and strong rear end!!

Next is the wings!

These have a metal sleeve running for over half the length into which is inserted the carbon fibre joining tube.

The 2 wing halves are then brought together and connected together by a ply plate which is then screwed down with 4 screws.

100_0508.jpg

Once together you can connect up the aileron servo leads to the provided Y lead, ready for connecting to your own choice of receiver.

100_0509.jpg

So now you can mount the wings to the fuselage and get a feel for the real size of a 2 meter wingspan!

100_0510.jpg

100_0511.jpg

The canopy is nicely finished off and is held in place by 4 moulded pips on the inside of the canopy that drop nicely into the pre drilled points either side of the cockpit area.

So thats really all there is to the build apart from putting on the horns, servo arms and connecting them all up! Oh .... and the decals!!

So here is how it looks now!!

100_0514.jpg

So to sum up

At £48-81 excluding p+p

This looks like a very good model

Very easy to put together - as usual with these types of planes, it takes longer to put the decals on than to actualy build the model!!

So as long as it flies well, its a great model!

Thanks for looking and I will update once I have had the chance to maiden it!

Dave

smiley

Yes Olly,

It is quite similar to the ST330 in general looks!

Main differences are 10cm longer wingspan, moulded fuselage and pre formed flaps.

Cant wait to get it maidened but due to being busy at work, unlikely to happen until sunday afternoon at the earliest!!sad

Edited By David Gilder on 24/07/2012 11:03:49

Yeah, my ST is hardly standard though...I have had to make some 'adjustments' to the nose after an intersting landing the other week....

Flaperons worked well to slow it to the speed it used to come in at before glassing......

What might be cool is to get the Fox up and flying with it's new battery and repair the servo, then do a velcro piggy back up.....

She's flown!!!

Only had chance for one flight this evening before the hooligans (sorry - footballers) arrived to wreck the ground (Sorry again - train!).

Full power climb and she went up vertical!!!

Power off at approx 150m high. 2 clicks of up, 1 clight of right and trimmed!!

Following this was a 15 min flight with absolutely NO VICES!!!!

She floated around picking up every little thermal and after 15 mins I had to dump all my height (still around 130m) and land.

Landing was a non event. lined up wings level bleed the speed then at 2 inches up, set her onto the ground and slide to a stop!!

The landing slide was quite long (about 20m) so I think that fitting flaps will be a good way to go!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any pics but I'm sure that will be corrected in the near future!!!

Cheers all

Dave

smileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmiley

Your more than welcome to have a go with her Ian.

I've just fitted up the flaps!! From my calculations this will require a bit of down elevator to counter the ballooning effect so I have included a mix and will try to get a test flight in on Saturday morning to make sure its set up okay!

Looking forward to it now!!!

Dave