Hmm...Don't think SWMBO is going to let me get one of these for a while. but she has DEMANDED that I have a shed at the new house...

So once I've got that done (probably building in the coldest months of the year - joy) then I'll resume the campaign to get a pheonix.....

Posted by David Gilder on 20/11/2012 11:39:53:

Sorry Chris, but I agree with Olly!!

ORME ORME ORME ORME!!!!! lol

They are like the flying mans Rubiks Cube... You just HAVE to have one!!!

Dave you don't know the effort it's taken to get this far! We don't want to scupper this first tentative step do we? Then we'd never get him up a slope.

Lets all be honest here!!

I've never heard of anyone who once "up the slope" has "wanted to leave"!!

Even first timers have to get dragged away screaming!!

(having said that... I've just got back in from having a fly with my new Canterbury Sailplanes Falcon Slope Combat plane.... I didnt want to leave, but unfortunately terrential downpour forced me back to the house!!crying 2)

wink

Well, I got home from work - main-lined on Cavonia and Lemsip - and there was an ENORMOUS box! I mean 6 foot long and 3 foot deep. It looked like it could have been Dolly Parton's coffin!

"What's this then?" said Mrs BEB (I think she suspected it could indeed have been Dolly Parton - but live!)

"Me? I ain't bought noffink" was my reply. I think she could tell by the look of fear in my eyes that I was telling the truth. "It must be the Phoenix dear", she retorted "You said it had a quite a big wingspan, but wasn't THAT big!"

We opened the box - very cautiously - after all we didn't want to do poor Dolly a mischief. And.....it was full of what looked like a cut-up matting! Deep, deep inside, nestling in a corner of the cut-up matting, was a box with a picture of a Phoenix2000 on it!

Well - I've checked it for damage - sadly there isn't any so it looks like I'm going to have to build and fly the thing. Its now been taken off me to be "given to Santa".

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/11/2012 21:21:20

Well I've taken the plunge and added flap servos into my Phoenix, a pair of fairly standard turnigy micros went in a treat and then the job of getting a uBEC connected in was undertaken.

I didn't like the idea if having to plug 4 servo wires in at the field so I've soldered a multiplex connector onto the servo wires, one per wing. And then another couple on some extension wires running to the RX. That's a lot of soldered connections so fingers cross it is all fine!

Hopefully I'll get a chance to have a flight tomorrow, although looking at the forecast for this part of the world, I think it is doubtful!

R.

I had two interesting flights in strong gusting winds off our strip yesterday. The Phoenix (and me of course) handled it very well. Most impressed with it's ability to penetrate and the control authority to keep it into wind compared with my previous foamie gliders. Landing no problem either. Really enjoyed it.

I like this powered glider a lot and VFM is superb!

Terry

Robin, to solve the same issue for mine, a four servo wing also I used a 9 pin D-sub connector fixed in the fus and about 6" of fly lead coming out of the wing, 2 secs to join when rigging. I built the wing one piece.

dscf1152.jpg

I made a lot of other mods to bring it up to a standard I'm happy with, things like ball links all round, the original hardware is a failure waiting to happen IMHO. I also stripped the heatshrink on the ESC off the heat sink, mounted it away from any surfaces and cut larger NACA ducts int he nose with an outlet after the ESC. There have been reports of them overheating with a subsequent loss of the model.

dscf1150.jpg

Gave it some paint too, underside the wing & tail for better visibility on the flat and the L.E.'s when diving in on the slope, painted the canopy and spinner too.

dscf1157.jpg

dscf1155.jpg

BBC, there's no dark art or complex wiring diagram here, you just need to be deft with a soldering iron. Below is a photo of the rx side of the loom for the tail section servos of my Lightning. I used 9 pin connectors so all pins were used for the three servos.

dscf1219.jpg

The other end of the wires had plugs on and went straight into the rx. The other end of the loom mirrored these connections and had sockets ready to accept the servo plugs. A good way to do that is to cut a long extension lead in half for the looms, at a couple of quid each it's cheap and saves making the connectors yourself. These are the D-sub connectors I use most commonly:

dscf1221.jpg

I would suggest using good quality plugs with machined contacts, I used these **LINK** but don't forget you'll need to buy a male and female set.

I always cover the pins with heatshrink after soldering for peace of mind. The other thing you can do is to run 4 servos (with 12 wires) off a 9 pin plug. To do this 2 servos can share a pin for both positive wires and another pin for both negative wires, the critical thing is that signal wires must be independant. Do this twice for each plug and you only use 8 pins. I always wire them so that both flaps share pins and the same for ailerons so that should a solder joint fail you will lose either flaps or ailerons, not both control surfaces on one side of the wing, giving you a beter chance of bringing it down in one piece.

I have heard some people say that these connectors don't like repeated plugging 'cycles' or vibration. All I can say is that my Elipse came designed for a D-sub and has had well over 10 years regular flying without issues. If I had any concerns about them I wouldn't be using them!

Matt,I like the idea of using a 9 pin connector, I'm more familiar with them as serial connectors on old Sun servers, I've plugged and unplugged them countless times and have never had one fail, also easier to solder than the multiplex connectors I used. I like the idea! Next time I'm wiring up a glider wing I'll look some out.

So on the Pheonix are you using one connector per wing or one in total? If it is just the one are you sharing pins for the power lines? Although having thought about it you could wire both flap servos to the same 3 pins emulating a Y-lead.

r.