September 2012 mag

Doug Ireland

Advert

If you have not read the mag- DON'T READ THIS COMMENT!

What a magazine guys. But also tinged with sadness.

The best piece of text in the whole magazine was the Editor's piece at the start about supporting model shops. I think we need to try and stop getting things cheaply from the Internet. Going to a local model shop we can talk to people, get advice, and for me, that is worth the extra payment and more so.

Flying in not so perfect weather is also something we should be doing. Now I'm one of the bad guys here, I am not flying nearly enough at the moment. I will try and get out some more!

The mention of Galaxy models is the prime example of the situation for model shops. We need to help them. Need some wheels? Need some clevises? Get down to your local model shop, as Graham said, every £10 or £20 purchase helps.

I know I'll be going to Pegasus models soon. Getting a plane for my Dad, I need some wheels and maybe an undercarriage for my Domino as well. I could get these things a lot cheaper from the internet, but joining Graham, I will try to support my local model shop as much as possible.

Thank you Graham for bringing this up, I for one will try as hard as possible to help out.

Brilliant magazine, great review of Greenacres, I WISH I WAS THERE! MY FUNFLY COULD BE THERE, IN THE MAGAZINE!!!

I also liked Pete Lowe's roundel tuition, the Foam-e Acro Wot review and the tempting free plan. Hmmm, IC conversion?

CS

(Read previous comment)

Went to Pegasus models today, bought my Domino wheels and a plane for Dad's birthday. Brilliant shop, wide range, lots of kits as well as ARTF's, shopkeepers were polite, helpful and imformative.

I feel I have helped out a bit, and I will probably be back soon. Need a spinner, reciever. Better start saving!

Nice review on the Sparrow hawk Mr Ashby, 50" span would certainly make it better. And servos in the tail? I would have done the same. That Acro Wot looks fantastic, I may get a kit one some time (I like wood, kits and engines!). This is the best mag in a while!

CS

PS- 300 posts! Only one way to celebrate...

Concorde and two Spitfires!

Hi guys - why is it that every month this thread often results in people simply posting stuff like "Got mine this morning", or "Haven't got mine yet".

I'm thrilled that people get so much enjoyment from the mag that they have to tell the world when they receive it. smile p

And even more constructive ;

Great to seen my Corby Starlet design published but sorry to tell that the plan printed size is 74% of the original model.

The drawing in the magazine is about 40" span and not the 52" which it should be.

There are also some parts not correct some of the arc's on the part are flattened which shows very clear on the Rudder ribs, Wing ribs and Fuselage centre plate.

No problem if you go for the CNC parts from RBCkits because those parts are just fine.

Ton

Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 24/07/2012 11:20:21:

Great to seen my Corby Starlet design published but sorry to tell that the plan printed size is 74% of the original model.

The drawing in the magazine is about 40" span and not the 52" which it should be.

There are also some parts not correct some of the arc's on the part are flattened which shows very clear on the Rudder ribs, Wing ribs and Fuselage centre plate.

Ton

Ouch! That seems a rather embarrasing c0ck-up for all concerned! Will the correct size plan be forthcoming I wonder?

Posted by Bill_B on 24/07/2012 20:32:41:

Ton

Ouch! That seems a rather embarrasing c0ck-up for all concerned! Will the correct size plan be forthcoming I wonder?

Bill,

I did send an email to Graham and David Ashby and I think they have to sort out first what has gone wrong, after that they will let us know how to go from here.

Ton

Posted by Simon B on 24/07/2012 20:43:02:

Tony, i'm a bit confused. The RBC list shows the Corby, but with a 1300mm wing span. I'm getting confused!

Simon,

Both Corby's are the same (my) design and started its life at first as a kit from RBC, my own protomodel took some more time to build and durring that time I came to the idea of also making this a plan for RCME.

Did also made some minor changes to the design making the wing a little more scale so there is a little differance, the basic design is the same and also the wingspan.

So there will not only be the option of a cnc parts set , vacuum parts set but also a compleet kit.

Hope you like it are you planning on the build one its a lovely model and there are some great color scheme's to find on the internet and also some nice youtube vids.

Ton

No problem if you go for the CNC parts from RBCkits because those parts are just fine.

Ton

Hi Tony,

Get used to it. It is rare from there not to be errors in the final plan. Some even after proofing twice.

At least Harlequin was pretty accurate.

I draw my plans up and trace them. Then I build from the print, Then I make any corrections and send in a print.

Eventually they send a PDF file which I get printed out and the check by laying my tracing over it. I then send in a list of corrections.

Sometimes they are not all corrected

Edited By Peter Miller on 25/07/2012 07:37:33