Gordon Whitehead Fokker DVII

Bridon

Following on from the success of another posting I made on this forum (Thanks Andy Green) I wonder if I might try a very long shot with another request.

I have the plans for Gordon Whitehead's 53" Fokker DVII which was featured in the RCMW magazine issued in JUNE 1985.

This will be my 'Winter Build' hopefully so what I am after is the construction article that was featured in this issue to go with the plan, I had this magazine until 18 months ago when it was inadvertantly sent to the local recycling by mistake. crying 2

If anyone actually has this particular magazine in their possession would it be possible to scan the article for me.

As I said, I know it is a long shot but I am hoping that there may be someone who is a bit of a hoarder like many of us modellers are. Sorry to put up a request so soon after my last one but this seemed the best forum for this and you truly are a helpful lot !

Regards

BrianG

I have the mag. Only trouble is the article was all 'arty crafty' and printed black on red and white on black which probably won't scan very well. If Gordon has a typed copy then that might be better, failing that send me a PM with a normal e-mail address and I will scan it for you. Will take a few days.

I had the previous article you requested too, but Andy offered first!

kc ...... RC mag ' Chief Hoarder'

Thanks lads...still looking,

BTW Devon Flyer, I had already sent a PM to Gordon prior to your reply but do still ask him if you see him this weekend as he might not pick up my message for some time.

Regards

BrianG

PS Thanks KC message sent yes

Edited By Bridon on 03/08/2012 18:55:58

• 3 months later...

Spotted this post and wondered how you were progressing. I Originally built my D7 from this plan way back in 1993. Flew it a couple of times but did not get on too well flying it. My problem not the model. So it got hung up. Recently restored it and converted it to electric. e-Max GT2826/6 on 4cell LiPo. Now flies great. Does not need much power cruises on half throttle. Does need rudder/aileron coupling as it suffers from adverse yaw.

Best of Luck

steveH

Hi Steve,

Project is ongoing and will start now after the Christmas period due to real life getting in the way...!! Gordon did get back to me and kindly sent me scans of the original magazine articles which was a nice gesture and I am indebted to his generosity in doing this for me...nice bloke.

Glad to hear that yours has been restored and is airworthy again. I have a few of Gordon's '20' sized scale plans which I will take a look at after the D7, luckily I bought these years ago when they were reasonably priced but regret not getting the Avro 504k or his Jungmeister at the time as these are now prohibitively expensive at £12:50 and £17:50 each respectively plus postage!..angry 2...good plans but seriously overpriced to us in the UK. Amazingly over in the States these plans are cheaper both priced at $12...something wrong with pricing structure in the UK......still...rant over copies of these plans turn up from time to time so I will keep looking. smiley

Nice to hear from you and thanks for your interest.

Regards

BrianG

Did Gordon W also send you a scanned copy of the D7 article or was it the copy I sent you?

I have the original magazines for many of these designs amongst my collection if it helps anybody else.

I agree that plan prices are too steep and I think they will kill building skills.

If you want to buy any of these plans you can get them from RCMplans.com in the USA just by phoning them ( Pacific coast time = 8 hours behind UK ) and quoting a credit card. The RCM plans usually come with a copy of the original article or instructions included in the price so they are even better value. RCM plans are very nicely drawn and often much better than the same plans from UK source. However there are some reports of very slow service from RCM, but recently all the people who commented on RCuniverse said they got the plans eventually.

If you check the RCM website you will also find many online articles from RCM magazine to download.

Edited By kc on 24/11/2012 18:58:26

Gordon sent me both articles from RCM and RCMW so thanks to you both I have 2 copies of RCMW article, he also sent over his Lozenge article which was very interesting indeed. It is chaps like you and Gordon who are very supportive and generous. I used to have a large collection of mags until 2 years ago when I made a disastrous decision and recycled them prior to an intended house move...which never happened in the end crying 2....but there you go, we all make great mistakes but thankfully there are people like your good self who are so generous with the scanner.

The link to RCM is very handy, thanks for that and also the info for plans which will be a cheaper alternative to UK pricing!

It is such a pity that plans are so expensive here in the UK and I agree, it does little to encourage building skills but I suppose it is supply and demand whereby so many buy ready made aircraft that the plans suppliers sell less and less so consequently the prices have to increase....vicious circle indeed.

Regards

BrianG (in extremely wet Dorset)

Edited By Bridon on 24/11/2012 19:19:24

Good luck with the building. I am very fond of Gordon's designs straight forward but interesting and fly well. I chickened out of painting a lozenge colour scheme and went for the very simple all white of Herman Goerings machine. Needs a nice blue sky though or it can get a bit disorientating.

SteveHFokker

• Like 1

Thanks for the good luck...going to need it as I want to do one of the lozenge schemes...I know, I'm a sucker for punishment but I shall look on it as therapy after the build as I intend to make my own wheels as well....roll on the new year when I shall start cutting the timber!

Regards

BrianG

• 11 years later...

Hi, hope you are still active in the RC world.

I saw your post about the DVII by Gordon Whitehead and I’m building this now.

I have been looking for information regarding the AOI of the wings and tail plane. In my build it looks like the bottom wing has significant more AOI than the top wing. To me this looks wrong so I’m looking for some real world info.

Can you help with this?

Thanks 

Kind regards

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Removed visible email address - better to reply here or by PM for security…