Rcm&e photos

KingKade

The best modelling mag by the way...
..but with all the nice photos (on grass, taking off, from a low angle, in the arms of the maker) of the show stopping one off models, we never get to see inside them!? Why not? Have the makers something to hide? Does it say somewhere 'made in china'? Probably not but its a view into another fascinating world where many dont see. Where does the gear go, what gear do they use, what technology is in there? Where do the servos go, whats the connections? We all love this modelling hobby because of all the technical skills required but we dont get to learn anything from these models or modelmakers.
What do you think? Regular indepth photos of showstoppers? And there insides!

Advert

Two problems, I think;

1. Getting a modeller to strip his model down at the field/show/event in order to allow some photos to be taken of its inwards might be stretching a favour a tad.

2. Getting acceptable shots of the build progress of a review model is not easy. Our Ed is notoriously fussy about the pics he'll accept, so shots of a half-built structure set against a background of a cluttered building bench (in dim lighting conditions) are unlikely to be chosen for publication.

tim

Perhaps additional photos on the website - i.e. here.

If there are photos which arn't up to scratch, or will simply not fit in the report then why not have an area on here with a disclaimer so people can see more detail if they want. some review models I won't bother with, and others I will.

I agree, it's a point Graham and I disagree on to some extent though. I think G finds them a bit asethically displeasing at times. I'm a little more relaxed....but it's his call.

Sometimes (more than you'd think) we do have to spare the builder some embarrasment by not using photos of what is a horribly untidy installation. By their nature, some of the internal photos we received can be badly lit and sadly not usable.

Surely an untidy instalation is all part of the education, its lets everyone see 'behind the scenes' and lets us into the mind of the modeller?.....

It lets us know even the masters, get away with an untidy instalation. Even if they are perfect inside, we'd all (i'm sure) like to see.

At the start/ end of a show a modeller wouldnt mind a few shots to show the workings, they are probably equally proud to show off the technical gear inside as well as the detailing on the outside, for the greater good, the education of the rest of us.

All the spectators and equally enthusiastic modellers that dont get past the barriers dont get to see any of this.

It could be the start of new compeitions at shows,

'the cleanest radio instalation'....

'the best concealed radio instalation'....

etc

I saw the insides of one of my lifelong scale modelling heroes, and was slightly dissapointed to see just how untidy it was. So I am not so sure it is something you should see, unless its tidy. Certainly shattered my illusions. However the likes of John Ranson always does an amazingly tidy installation, so it can be done.

If you see the inside of my Electric Chipmunk you would be horrified embarrassed because of all the wiring involved in BEC's, onboard electronic switches, telematary and landing light ystems it can't really be done tidily, no matter how I tried. I certainly wouldn't want a picture of the insides of that model published smile o

Cheers

Danny

Danny, im sure your just being modest...angel but when it comes to club flyers and sport models we're all in the same boat, with the same problems with loads of gear , restricted space and big hands, what you consider a mess would be slick to someone else! Ha! Me...

The bigger scale models at shows have loads of space, like on those 50% scale planes or larger that are around. Radio gear and wires, i suspect, just disappear in those large airframes.

Sam

• 1 month later...