Fake DLE engines

Ben Ramsay

Advert

One thing concerns me about all these engines being fake is the price, one seller is charging on ebay £155 for the DLE30 the genuine dealers cost is £225.

With ebay/paypal fees approx 15% vat at 20% and even if you worked on a small margin of 10% that makes the cost of the engine about £105 if we said 20% margin which is more realistic you are looking at engine cost value of approx £95 I doubt very much if the official dealers are buying them at that price and I would be on streight away to DLE and asking how can you sell to ebay sellers for that price and charge me more being an offical dealer.

So safe to assume I think any DLE30 engine less than about £180 on ebay is a fake. and the same for other size of engines.

Posted by Seamus O'Donnell on 10/10/2015 12:01:36:

One thing concerns me about all these engines being fake is the price, one seller is charging on ebay £155 for the DLE30 the genuine dealers cost is £225.

With ebay/paypal fees approx 15% vat at 20% and even if you worked on a small margin of 10% that makes the cost of the engine about £105 if we said 20% margin which is more realistic you are looking at engine cost value of approx £95 I doubt very much if the official dealers are buying them at that price and I would be on streight away to DLE and asking how can you sell to ebay sellers for that price and charge me more being an offical dealer.

So safe to assume I think any DLE30 engine less than about £180 on ebay is a fake. and the same for other size of engines.

I have to disagree, I've bought two on eBay, a 20 and a 30cc. Whilst I would say the 30 is fake (not conclusive), the 20 I would say is the genuine article.

Posted by john stones 1 on 10/10/2015 12:26:51:

My advice is run some fuel through your DLE and forget the threads about them, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to make sense of it all.

John

Absolutely. One thing I have noticed is that although the sellers have loads of great feedback, little or none of it relates to the sales of DLE engines !

Whilst I have bought a couple of smallish engines, I would think twice about anything bigger and of higher value.

I asked the ebay supplier and they pointed me to the dlpower.net website.

I came across this on the flyinggiants website:

"The condition of your DLE is pretty much the level all of them are at. We don't pay the extra hundreds of dollars that engines with a better fit and finish cost when we order a DLE. Therefore minor casting blemishes are to be expected. Your engine could arrive with a Walbro, DLE, or EMAS carb, although DLE has pretty much gone with the DLE stamped version. It's probably made by EMAS with a different cast stamp on it and cloned from a Walbro.

A lot of people seem to think immediately replacing the ring with an after market ring to be an absolute necessity. It's not, the stock ring will work just fine but takes longer to break in. The after market ring may or may not provide an immediate couple hundred RPM increase. Shoot, the weather for the day can provide a 100 RPM difference from day to day all by itself.

The brown cardboard box is probably a little cheaper than the white cardboard box, so guess what they did.

The DLE is one of the two best all Chinese engines on the market, with the other being a Taiwan product, not mainland China. Read the instructions, mount it, tune it, and fly it. 99% of the time that's all you'll need to do."

Also, I have emailed dlpower some photos to see what they say.

Check out these differences, where the casting is square (mine isn't) they say is genuine:

dlpower.net.jpg

On the dle-engines.com website it is also not square - like mine, which is correct? dont know

dle-engines.com.jpg

Edited By Rich2 on 12/10/2015 07:18:33

Posted by john stones 1 on 10/10/2015 12:26:51:

My advice is run some fuel through your DLE and forget the threads about them, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to make sense of it all.

John

Sorry, I can't help it! It would just be good to know for future reference. If I were spending more money on a bigger engine for instance.wink

Edited By Rich2 on 12/10/2015 07:20:11

Edited By Rich2 on 12/10/2015 07:21:18

This was the response I got from the seller - perfectly reasonable:

Thanks for your message.
You could check how to Identify the authenticity from the official website.
We have cooperated with DLE company for 6 years.
DLE engine of our store are authenticity.
If you need other DLE engine, please contact me. i could give you the lowest price.
If there are any other question, please feel free to contact me.

I also find it very interesting that on the dlpower website they list the distributors for each country - there are none in China!

Posted by Rich2 on 12/10/2015 07:16:08:

Also, I have emailed dlpower some photos to see what they say.

Check out these differences, where the casting is square (mine isn't) they say is genuine:

dlpower.net.jpg

On the dle-engines.com website it is also not square - like mine, which is correct? dont know

dle-engines.com.jpg

Edited By Rich2 on 12/10/2015 07:18:33

Photos on most retailers' - i.e. reputable LMCs who you would imagine are carrying "genuine" DLEs - websites appear to show that particular detail is rounded, not squared. Which according to these pics makes them fakes smiley

Then only thing we can be sure of is that this whole subject appears to be clouded with misinformation and muddy waters.

If anyone's got one that doesn't run well AND can positively i.d. it as a fake then let us know. I don't think anyone has, so far

Edited By IanN on 12/10/2015 09:16:02

I emailed a couple of photos clearly showing the castings and the Walbro carb and I got a surprisingly positive response:

Hi Ricahrd,
We confirmed the engine your bought is a genuine DLE engine, the latest DLE engines comes with Walbro carb now.

------------------
Best Regards

Posted by john stones 1 on 14/10/2015 11:54:42:

The link looks a bit iffy to me, according to a thread I read it's a fake link wink

John

Haha! I checked and its on the user manual for both my DLE's, so I don't think it is fake.

I think that (for whatever reason) DLE stopped selling through Chinese distributors, and they are coming out through the back door. Just a theory.😉

Posted by IanN on 14/10/2015 12:27:50:

And check the photos of DLE 30s in that link. They show engines that are waaaaaaaaaaaay shinier than any DLEs I've ever seen. Different finish altogether laugh

Yeah, I thought that when I took photos of mine, but the lighting makes a huge difference.

I received my DLE30 today from a seller on ebay called ontone2014 after doing loads of research into all these copies and convinced myself his were genuine and the pictures shown on his listing are a genuine engine, but alas I dint get an engine that even matched these photos ! a big ebay breach there for a start.

But apart from that, my engine looks used, not just run, black staining on front casing and lots of greenish corrosion between fins etc,

The engine has stainless screws, brass nipple on carb, blank spark plug, Rcexl on plug cap

If I wanted a fake DLE I would have bought a AGM30 which I have one of already and pleased with it for much less money, I just wanted a DLE this time to have a real comparison before I buy two more for a twin.

imag1608s.jpg

imag1607s.jpg

imag1605s.jpg

imag1603s.jpg

Edited By Seamus O'Donnell on 15/10/2015 20:48:40

No etched number on ignition unit and my instructions are like ones posted but they are the easiest thing to copy, I am fairly happy mine is a complete fake.

There is another website which seems to be USA distributor they have a completely different set of instructions for the DLE30 actually a proper set of instructions 24 pages all the pictures in that show the correct engine with black plastic nipple DLE carb etc

**LINK**