Ripmax ARTF Bullet

Posted by Simon Chambers on 20/08/2012 18:08:52:

Any news if it has a leccy option (i.e. battery hatch)?

I really hope so! Unfortunately Ripmax current trends seems to be not to have an easy leccy option (without conversion) on their wood ARTFs.

Cheers,

Si.

No sign of a top hatch Simon. Incidentally I see some trader websites are mentioning a late Aug delivery but my date comes from the distributor.

Alan

I suspect the original is long out of copyright, and if not, Crescent are now not around to defend it. So it is open to anyone.

It's not 'orrible, it is a nice, clean design. It is just that these far easten manufactures choose to colour it in stripes, totally disguising its elegant shape, just like they do with their naff trainers. The ones some poeple put on their feet, not our sort of trainer.

It is bigger than the PB one. Which is the same size as the original. There is one in my LMS. Was tempted the other day. Will buy it tomorrow. Then I will not be tempted to buy this far eastern one though laziness (It would probably fall to bits a week or two anyway, as usual) smiley

ARTFs? Look at the 'Seagull 'Zero' thread. Hope he re-glued the engine bulkhead and fuel proofed it. Bound to fall out or go soggy if he didn't. I don't have to do it with my  ARTD car or my ARTW television, why should I have to do it with my plane. More hassle than they are worth.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 20/08/2012 19:08:09

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 20/08/2012 19:24:56

Unless pb own the trademark then anyone can use the name. Also unless they have design rights registered on it and along as it's not a direct copy then there is nothing to stop lookalike copies being made.

I really don't know why ripmax don't do a leccy option to future proof it. Especially as the hobby is going that way.

Si.

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 20/08/2012 18:43:13:

sorry guys, its orrible, just as a matter of interest, if PB model own the design, how can there be another artf one? one of them must have pirated the name, and design

Come on Alan, informed commentary please.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 20/08/2012 19:26:31

sorry Dave, havnt seen one yet, so cant give an inflormed view, only to say it makes me feel ill with its gaudyism( is that a word?) as for the pirating bit, dont really have a clue, apart from PM models have put out a nice retro, kit, i am just wondering if things like this are subject to copyright issues, thats all

Never had a Bullet first time around, I had the Piper Jetstream which was swept wing but otherwise similar (I actually had the second one flying, being in the then still emerging team at the time, mine was all red as in red frequency................... Oh how we laughed at the guy who drew brown!!!).

The only comment I'd make at this stage (and I am attracted to it) is that the involved quite "busy" scheme is going to make it harder to easily amend/add to it to make it individual.

Edited By Dave Bran on 20/08/2012 20:23:08

Sorry but I like the red colour, what I dont like is the way Ripmax gave a taster two years ago I wonted one then and the Gangster (mick reeves) it took nine months to get Wot 4 XL so why two years, where is the gangster, why show models that they know will not come to market within a couple of months

Interesting. Not a great response for this. The colour scheme is not great, very random but she's still a nice plane. A bargain at £104.99, pretty much the same as the kit, but like most ARTF's she may not be so durable.

Never owned a Bullet, but she's a classic. So I looked at the original response on the first ARTF Wot 4 (another classic) thread to compare, and that was different. The response was mixed, some saying great and others prefering the kit.

And that turned into (probably) the greatest selling ARTF ever. I think this will be a hit, maybe not like the Wot but I still think Ripmax have hit a winner, she is a classic!

Tried to give an un-biased view, I would prefer the kit, I'll wait till a review before I finally decide (are you doing one David?). If it flies well, then she'll look beautiful!

CS

As I remember the gossip from back when it was first announced and displayed, it's not very closely modelled on the Crescent Bullet either in outline or construction. I'm sure they issued shots of a red one, which just served to highlight the differences.

At least the H9 Phoenix and GP Dirty Bird ARTFs are recognizable, this I'm not so sure.

edit:

However, if you needed an unbiased assessment of a review sample teeth 2

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 20/08/2012 21:30:58

Had one of the original Bullets way back and flew as if on rails. Have got the Dirty Birdy ARF next up on the building board now the YT 82" Hurricane is finished. Really like the old style pattern aircraft as they "groove" so well.

Looking forward to seeing the re-incarnated Bullet despite the slight increase in size when I am in the UK next May. Never know, one may just find its way into the Emirates A380 hold !!

Assume there will be a review coming up in a forthcoming mag ?

Safe landings

Roger

Acro Wot ARTF versus kit.

In my local Hobbystores the other day there was both the original 'proper' Chris Foss (not Ripmax) kit and the Ripmax 'interpretation' Acro Wot balsa ARTF right next to each other. One of the staff, a very good flyer, has both. He said to buy the kit rather than the ARTF as it flies better. I didn't, will get the PB Bullet. It is 'purer' than the Acro Wot.

Robin, no, not seen one yet. I'm pretty ambivalent about the scheme - there are plenty worse out there.

Roger, possibly, we'll have to see.

Funny that Mark, given that Chris Foss tweaked the AW design for ARTF. Having flown both I'd say the ARTF AW flies a tad better, it doesn't fish tail like the kit built examples sometimes do although, having said that, there's really not much in it.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 21/08/2012 08:29:37:

Funny that Mark, given that Chris Foss tweaked the AW design for ARTF. Having flown both I'd say the ARTF AW flies a tad better, it doesn't fish tail like the kit built examples sometimes do although, having said that, there's really not much in it.

Interesting, wonder if the Bullet with that bit of extra size will fly better than the original? Hope it does not need a cathedral up front like the ARTF AW!

CA

David,

I am tempted by them all. I like the Bullet, whichever version, PBs or the RipMax one. Not too keen on ARTFs usually but have an almost new OS46 two stroke going spare, due to a recent crash. The Ripmax one, being larger, might better suit the OS 46. Like the Acro Wot too, and was most impressed by the ARTFs performance in your fairly recent video. Too many choices !

lets not get too carried away on the ARTF flies better thing, the whole point of a hack model, as well as being able to flies nice, is the ability to take the knocks and bangs of flying when the weather and the patch is not at its best, hack models generally have foam wings and a fus that sherman tank would be proud of. do you seriously think this artf will take the knocks as well as a trad built kit ??

an example!!

being a hooligan i was doing massive loops beginning from just a foot or two off the deck, and as all good pilots know the loop entry and exit should be at the same height, all was going well until the wind started to drift me side ways and i did not notice to correct..... so the final loop ended with the bullet coming out of the bottom of the loop over the long grass at the side of the strip, F1 cars can not stop as quickly!!!!!!!! damage was just a bent (incorrectly fitted) nose wheel a dent in the wing leading edge and a small crack in the cowling, the ARTF bullet would have probably imploded, so whilst the ARTF version may fly slightly nicer, it is generally at the expense of it ability to be a class hack model, if you have the time to build can i urge you to stay away from the ARTF version and try the original....lets face it they are always the best !!!!! (apart from the Batman film!)

Hi everyone

I have just finished building a PB Bullet and had it's maiden flight two weeks ago. It flys on rails and will go vertical with a 'cooking' 42 up front. I can't see why anyone would want an ARTF as the PB kit is so easy to build and you end up with a unique model.

I chose a '70s racing car scheme for mine.......

Finished Bullet