How little power?

Some time ago I did some crude tests to find out the minimum power level my 60" Giant Dragon used in level flight.

The answer came out at just about 3 amps from its 3000mAh 3s LiPo, say 33W.

With high pressure squarely over the NW hence virtually no wind I decided to find out the hard way - fly 'power on' for as long as possible.smile o Boring!

It flew for 71 minutes before the ESC LVC reduced the power (but at such a low power settings it was only just detectable!) which if my sums are correct represents an average current of 2.54A.

Given this is only 10% of the full power (sustained vertical) current it does show just how efficient ESCs and motors are even at very low power levels,

So I have another plane than can exceed 1 hour duration.smile d

Advert

I recently logged the power taken over a couple of aerobatic flights of my Druine Akrobat. Model weighs 1940g with 2650mAH 4s lipos, average current was 12.66A average power 199W, flight times were 10 & 11 minutes.

The count down timer of my Tx is now set to 9 minutes which I find gives plenty of time to complete whatever I'm doing before landing.

Simon, the Akrobat is relatively "draggy" with a semi scale bulky fuselage, semi-symetrical wings & gets thrown about quite a bit each flight. I'm sure that if flown gently at part throttle the flight time could be more than doubled without much bother.

The power at full throttle is 242W/Kg (110W/lb) & IMO it's actually over-powered.

PatMc

What was of interest to me in the comparison was how close the two figures really are.

As you say one is doing aerobatics the other is just very, very gentle cruising in what is basically a light weight powered glider yet the difference is only a bit over 2:1.

The Wing Dragon uses just 20W/lb however still a bit to go to equal the man powered cross channel Gossamer Albatross that managed on 1.36W/lb.surprise

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 04/09/2012 15:12:11