NGH Engines - any experience

Frank Skilbeck

Advert

My engine is in a Seagull 300S and like Simon I have had great support from Just Engines. They replaced a faulty plug connector immediately and give very helpful advice over the 'phone. Its essential that you bench run the motor for 4 hours. Idle is now reliable with immediate transition to full power. Brian Winch's start technique works every time. Give the engine a quick burst of electric starter on full choke until it briefly fires. Then start with the choke closed and warm up for about a minute before flying. Fuel economy is of course outstanding. Unfortunately the Seagull u/c mounting is poor and has been replaced with a large ply plate to cope with the additional weight.

Overall this is a good motor for large models. I will stick with electric power for smaller models.

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I've just installed the NGH GT9 in a Stik but I'm having trouble starting it. It fires at full throttle to begin with as suggested in the manual (but I get the impression something is lost in translation and they appear to be talking about a choked Walbro type which is not fitted to the GT 9). They talk of fiddling with the low speed settings (and the manual refers to wrong adjustment) but I'm loathe to do that other than blowing through the carb at 1/4 throttle and getting a nat's breath of flow.

To cut a long story short, has anyone got the right procedure for starting this engine?

Edited By Christian Hollyer on 10/05/2013 13:45:04

• 1 month later...

Further disasters with the GT 9. The first one I installed lasted all of an hour before the prop spun off in the air. The big end had blitzed. Bad luck, I thought and installed the second of the pair I'd bought. That lasted all of a minute with the same failure.

Just Engines were very helpful and replaced both with ASPs. Not ideal because I really wanted petrol engines. Nevertheless, the ASP performs well. No more NGHs for me...

Just as well I've just decided to fit my ASP 91 FS on the basis that it fits and I already have it and still have several gallons of glow fuel to use up.

But gosh I posted this last October and I'm almost ready to cover the Jungmeister, still I've had the kit since the mid 80s so no point rushing it now blush

A lot of engine have appeared on the scene that are / were designed as glow engines and have been petrolized ,ie Lowered compression ratio , ignition system fitted and appropriate carb fitted The main difference between these converted engines and properlydesigned petrol engines that run on 50;1 fuel is that their con rod fitted with roller bearing big end and in a lot of cases a roller bearing little end . The NGH engines and similar engines have a normal bushed big and little end conrod as in glow engines designed to run on 20% oil mix or 5;1 ,ten times more oil. The older petrol engines ran with plain main bearings and con rods but used 5;1 fuel mix and the petrol then contained lead that had some lubricating properties .Modern petrol contains no lead and a lot of Ethanol that has little or no lubricating properties so lubrication is purely down to the oil content . If you run one of the NGH . MVVS./Evolution engines fitted with a plain/bronze bush conrod use a 25;1 fuel mix to run in then go to a maximum of 35 : 1 and you should be ok . A dowside to this is the black oily exhaust that most petrol entusiast hate.Running weak isn't the issue its the oil content of the fuel that causes the failure.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 23/06/2013 10:45:07:

I've also read on some forums about some Evolution 60 petrols having big end problems if run too lean, maybe these smaller engines need a bit more oil than the larger petrols which typically use roller or needle bearings for both the big and little ends.

The Evolution GX10 does have a needle roller big end.......wink 2 But if you think how much fuel is actually going through these small engines & how much of that fuel is oil you'll realise that there's not a lot of oil around to lubricate the moving parts.....crook

I've got an NGH 35 and am pretty much fed up with the black rubbish that comes out of the exhaust and the way it shakes everything loose on the airframe. I went petrol to get away from this. My evolution GT 26 was much better. That had needle roller bearings and was an excellent motor, right up until I fuelled it up with a fresh batch that I hadn't mixed properly. Not enough oil so bang! I am going to get rid of my NGH and probably put an OS 4 stroke petrol in its place or the equvalent evolution 2 stroke. I'll not touch another NGH.

Andy

The NGH 35 I have is the dirtiest engine I have. I'm not very impressed with it. Can't seem to get it to develop peak rpm either. Very touchy on the high end needle. I wish I had saved my money to put towards an OS or Saito 4 stroke petrol. Looks like it's time to bite the bullet and ask the boss for an advance on my chrissy pressy wink

Andy

Sorry to hear about iffy NGH engine experiences. I have to agree with Percy's view on MVVS engines. As a recent petrol convert I have a MVVS 50cc and it runs very well now I have mastered how much fuel to let through with choke on. Furthermore, I didn't have to tinker at all with the needle factory settings after the run-in period with the plug showing the correct level of brown colour for a suitably tuned engine.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 29/06/2013 16:25:04