Trad building - I have tried!

gary watson 1

Gary, for what it's worth, I think it has more to do with personality than skill. Do you tend to finish things, or leave them hanging? Some people are starters. In modeling terms they buy kits, and begin construction with enthusiasm, when they have several unfinished projects already!

I think for me, I finish builds, not because I am particularly skilled; lots of people are neater than me, but because I just keep at it steadily. My Spit took six months, my Zero is now six months in and a long way off being finished, but I will keep plugging away.

I have a self imposed rule of no more than two projects on the go at any one time. This helps me not get bored as I can take a break from a project, but makes sure I finish things.

I get far more satisfaction from a build than an ARTF, even though it costs a lot more!

Advert

Gary, the Tucano Mass Build Project is aimed primarily at folks exactly like you - that is the entire point of doing it. We shortlist models that are straightforward to build, select one, then run loads of build blogs so that the "less experienced" (you!) get to see exactly how its done.

Buy the laser cut kit and all the difficult cutting is done for you. All your left with is cutting some lengths of strip - and frankly you don't have to get them spot on.

My advice would be that the Mass Build is best opportunity you are going to get to obtain guidance in how to build a model. Not only can you "follow along", if you're stuck - you just ask, simples!

BEB

Gary you have nothing to lose and plenty to gain by just having a go. You will never regret it, even if things don't work out first time. Just think of the repairs you will easily do to a damaged ARF or weak points in an ARF that you can sort out for longevity, after gaining some skills in building you may end up addicted. be warned.

Well years ago that's all we had was 'trad builds' so it was a case of serving an apprenticeship starting with the simple Keil Kraft,Veron and Mercury and even some Jetex kits. The only one I failed to construct was the Keil Kraft Avro 707,I just could not cope with the symmetric wing spars. From the flying point of view the first really successful model was the Keil; Kraft Dolphin glider. Progression from there to the Keil Kraft Pirate just about finished my apprenticeship but of course there were always things to learn.

To be honest traditional builds like the Ben Buckle / Keil Kraft range are manageable but I do remember friends who started out with relatively complex kits failed to complete them. There is a chap who lives on the opposite side of the road to me who has been building a Super 60 over the last three years. At present the fuselage is bent so it needs a level of re-construction----I might get involved!

1. A good knife - Swan Morton scapel is fine.
  2. Glue. PVA and maybe a small bottle of Cyano.
  3. sanding block and some sand paper of 120 and 400 grit.
  4. A square
  5. A 1m straight edge - cheap T section or the like from B&Q - nothing special
  6. A couple of clamps
  7. A pin vice and a set of small drills
  8. Small screwdrivers - crosshead and slot.
  9. A pair of pliers
  10. A soldering iron
  11. A pair of scissors!
  12. A small saw - a junior hacksaw would do - a razor saw would be a bonus, but not essential
  13. A good stock of elastic bands of various sizes - act as cheap clamps
  14. Some pins
  15. A 12" steel rule
  16. Something to act as a building board.
  17. Access to an iron to apply covering

That's all I can think of at present. You will probably already have much of this, as many of these are tools you'd need to assemble an ARTF anyway.

You could of course triple this list with "nice to have's" but I reckon you could build the model with that and few things I might have forgotten.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/11/2012 23:41:22

You;ll get lots of different answers for the building board Gary. Having not believed it would be any good for a very long time, I now exclusively use plasterboard. Available in quite a few sizes from DIY outlets, it's quite portable in the size you'll need for the Tucano, sits flat on a flat table and takes and holds pins really well. It's really not expensive either.

In fact I used quite a small offcut when I built the similar sized Whizzza.

dscn1150.jpg

Another vote for plasterboard. I wasn't sure, and have tried other things, but plasterboard is by far and away the best solution I have found. It is completely flat, takes pins well and holds them too. Its also cheap and readily available. If you have a local B&Q you will find that they do a handy sheet which is smaller than standard and costs just over £3

Gary, If you have any problems getting any tools or paraphenalia needed for building your models, heres what to do.

Use the household iron for covering models

use wifes toothbrush for cleaning parts

use pins from wifes sewing kit

use wifes scissors

use pegs from washing line

use wifes hair elastics

break the blades from wifes razors

Now make sure each time you get caught using these products to explain that it would be much better to have the right tool for the job but these will do for the next model as well. you will soon get a collection together.

I use pinboard, the type of board used for school noticeboards, glued to a chipboard base but I can see the appeal of plasterboard, it's flat, cheap and disposable once it becomes unserviceable.

However, don't you get bits of plaster falling on the floor when you remove the pins? A houseproud SWMBO would not be amused! wink