Futaba T14SG chat

Simon Chambers

Advert

Interesting Eric , I've read of this before on a spectrum thread . I think it's the HF flicker given off by the tube light and the monitor screen that plays up with the 2.4 ghz system.

So a lesson for everyone here, no low passes in front of your PC and no barnstorming through the garage if the lights on

J

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I've recently purchased the Trex 450 plus and am in the process of setting up the Tx for beginner mode. The pitch curve for normal is suggested at 44,52,74,84,93. On my old T6EX Tx this is straightforward however on the 14sg the preset pitch curve reads -100,-50,+0,+50,+100 therefore to get the curve mentioned above what do I input?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 17/01/2014 10:24:14

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, can anyone help? clearly I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed! I have upgraded to a Futaba 14 SG and have read the manual and Malcolms guide but still cannot figure out how to di the following: I have a K8 glider and would like to be able to control the airbrakes using J3 ( throttle stick) but would like to switch them off with switch SA so they don't get opened in error whilst flying. I assume I have to create a condition called landing but not even sure about that. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance, Lee.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 13/05/2014 17:03:12

There are several ways of doing this and the most appropriate approach depends on how the model's other controls are set up. For example, does the model have flaps as well as airbrakes? If so, which control do you use to operate them? Are you using the Butterfly function?

If you would like to give a short description of all the controls which you require for the model I will do my best to help.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 13/05/2014 17:03:25

Malcolm thank you so much for your offer of help. I have a 1/4 scale K8 glider that has: ailerons and airbrakes but no flaps. As stated in my first mail I would like to be able to control the airbrakes using J3 ( throttle stick) but would like to switch them off with switch SA so they don't get opened in error whilst flying.

I also have a Spirit Elite glider that has ailerons and flaps (4 servos) I would like to use butterfly operated by J3 and I would also like set up conditions for landing and reflex etc. so that butterfly only works whilst in landing condition.

Any advise is extremely welcome.

Lee

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 13/05/2014 17:03:41

As far as the K8 is concerned, there are minor advantages of using Conditions and perhaps the Butterfly Mix but, as you are asking for help, let’s keep things simple at this stage.

Go to the Function Menu and assign the same auxiliary function (e.g. AUX1) to both the channels into which you wish to plug the airbrake servos. Assign J3 as the control. This is all that is required to operate the brakes though you will probably need to make mechanical and end-point adjustments and maybe reverse one or both servos to get everything working correctly.

In order to be able to switch the airbrakes on and off go to the Prog Mix Menu in the Model Menu. Select the first mix. Scroll to page 2/2. Change ACT from INH to ACT (it will then default to ON). Immediately to the right of this assign SA as the switch in place of the - -. You can choose which positions of the switch you want to be ON and OFF. As explained below, OFF means that the airbrakes will respond to J3 and ON means that they cannot move.

At the bottom of screen 2/2 set both the Master AND the Slave to AUX1 or whatever function you assigned to your airbrakes in the Function Menu.

Now go to screen 1/2 in the Prog Mix. Set both values at the top of the screen to -100 (minus) and set the Y Offset at the bottom of the screen to +100. That’s it! Switching SA to ON will now lock the airbrakes shut.

What happens here is as follows. The airbrakes respond to the signal sent by Stick J3. Because of the negative values entered on screen 1/2, when the Prog Mix is turned ON the airbrake servos also receive a position signal which is the exact opposite of that generated by J3. The two signals cancel each other out and the servos remain at their mid positions regardless of any movement of J3. We don’t want the airbrakes to be half way out when the safety switch is applied so the Y offset of +100 pushes their servos to one end of their travel when the Prog Mix is turned ON. If you find that the brakes go to the fully open position when the Prog Mix is turned ON then just change the Y Offset to -100.

The Spirit Elite is a much more complex setup. I wrote a guide for the Futaba 8FG which is available as a free download. Google “Futaba 8FG-Programming a 4-servo wing electric glider” and you should find it. It works fine on the 14SG. Just ignore the section about motor setup. Alternatively, if you have my e-book on the 14SG, there is an appendix which gives an illustrated guide. It is a bit heavy going but, if you follow it step-by-step, you will get there in the end and I am happy to help if you have further questions.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 13/05/2014 17:03:58

• 2 months later...

Hi I received a new 14Sg in January and I want to update the software to the latest versions. I have formatted an SDHC card ok but when I download the updates from Ripmax and try to run the .exe file I get a message from the Futaba File System Utility that says: "The error occurred at the time of the reading in of the configuration file. Confirm or redo a download once again. It failed in the copy."

Does anyone know of a fix for this? (I've tried emailing Ripmax over a week ago but have received no response...I

​I am running Vista Home Premium as the operating system..

Thanks

Jon

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 13/05/2014 17:04:13

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. The main innovation is the addition of a Multi-rotor model type though this appears little more than a sales ploy. It adds nothing to the radio’s functionality but is simply the Airplane model type with the redundant menu items removed. The existing User Menu already caters for this. There are some new “functions” such as Pan, Tilt etc available in the Function Menu but, as these have no adjustable parameters, they are simply AUX functions by a different name. It would have been much more useful to ALL their customers had Futaba simply enabled the re-naming of the AUX functions in the same way that Conditions can be renamed.

Other than that, most of the changes involve fairly arcane additions to telemetry and SBUS programming.

Voice has been added to the ST1 and ST2 timers but, for some reason (bug?), is only available when FASSTest receivers are being used.

Still, it costs nothing so I suppose we can’t complain. It is just a little disappointing that known bugs such as the inconsistent Slave Links remain unfixed.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Phil Francis on 07/06/2014 13:23:57:

Hello, has anybody managed to bind two Frsky TFR8S receivers and get working as 14 channels? I can get them both to bind but the channels still act the same on both receivers.

Phil

did you connect channel 1 + 2 with a jumper ?

LIKE THIS

Edited By Codename-John on 07/06/2014 14:30:32

Have put jumper on receiver 2 just on signal pins. Presume that's correct. Should the jumper be on when binding?

with jumper in that position all channels on second RX act as normal IE C3 is throttle C4 is rudder and so on. 

Just seen link and was same as picture!

Phil

Edited By Phil Francis on 07/06/2014 15:20:03

Edited By Phil Francis on 07/06/2014 15:22:07

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Amazon have finally made available to existing owners the latest edition of my 14SG Programming Guide which covers the new features introduced in the V 5.0 upgrade. Anyone who has bought the book over the last month should already have the latest version. You can check this by going to the first page, immediately after the front cover. It should read - December 2014 Edition (Software V 5.0).

If you bought the book prior to this, the latest version is available to you as a free update. Go to Manage My Kindle (via Tools if you are using a PC or phone App) and follow the instructions for updates. If you have added notes, highlights or bookmarks you need to make sure that “Annotation Back Up” is turned on or you will lose them. If you do not add notes or highlights then selecting “Automatic Updates” should ensure that you automatically receive the latest version whenever I make amendments.

The appendices include step-by-step instructions to illustrate some typical setups and also some tricks which extend the advertised scope of the radio. Clearly the number of potential setups is huge but please pm me if there is anything you would like to see included. (Sorry – fixed wing only).

European Union tax laws changed on 1st January and VAT now applies to eBooks. Unfortunately this has resulted in a price rise which is beyond my control.