Futaba T14SG chat

Simon Chambers

• 1 month later...

Saw this on another forum but may be helpful for some guys here.

A British chap has written an unofficial guide on the Futaba 14SG that you can buy and view on your Kindle (or iPhone/iPad/Android/Windows/Mac/etc with the free Amazon Kindle App). You can preview and read the first couple of sections for free. There are 245 Pages in total, so it must be pretty comprehensive and no doubt a lot of work has gone into it.

Here is a link: Futaba 14SG - Programming for Fixed Wing Aircraft

For under £5, it may be helpful for those that either are struggling or wanting to make use of the more advance features of their 14SG.

Si.

• 1 month later...

I cant find how to increase the volume level of the Timer Alarm. The present sound level is feeble. It will not help my street Cred if I have to go back to using a £5 digital alarm clock!

I expect you Futaba 8FG owners will have encountered and sorted this one already The manual is no help and I can not see anything in the menu

Any advice will be appreciated?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 26/04/2013 08:41:44

Looking at other forums, I believe there's no volume control. But there is an earpiece socket and, as Codename-John has mentioned, you can have vibrate as well.

If you're flying fixed-wing, you must have noisy models wink I have no problem with the beeper on my 10C (except when I'm flying my heli close to me), and other forums have mentioned that the 14SG's volume is louder than the 10C.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 26/04/2013 08:42:08

Thanks for the advice guys.

Our pits area is only 3 metres behind where we stand to fly ( A wiremesh safety fence seperates us) When the weather is good !? it gets a bit noisy when engines are being run up. I will try the vibration alert. I use a tray so I will see how I get on with this.

There is a phone jack on the back of the Tx. Can I just plug in a proprietory phone/Ipod set of earphones or do I have to use Futaba ones which probably cost 4 times as much and have a 4 week order lead time?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 26/04/2013 08:42:19

• 2 weeks later...

As a long time JR user I finally took the plunge and bought one of these, and I am delighted with it, although there is quite a lot that is not entirely obvious to one from the pre computer generation. I have flown with it a few times, and know I will grow to love it.

The programming of the failsafe is not at all obvious. One has to first press a button to enable the throttle cut. But if left there, it will default to full throttle! There ia a second step required, to move from the default setting called 0 to the required setting of -100 to get a throttle cut.

The above steps are separate to and in addition to the need to reverse the throttle direction for use with an electric model.

So far I have used the FASSTEST rx and a FASST rx and both required the same sequence to be followed.

I am happy to assure you all that I established this whilst the model was firmly restrained between my legs facing into the wild blue yonder!

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 26/04/2013 08:39:54

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've just purchased a 14SG from HeliGuru (got a good price at the much Marcle show) I was almost put off by the comment in David Ashby's review in the March issue that it didn't work with the early R606FS receivers. I've got a few of these and as far as I can tell the Tx binds and works fine with them. I've found the programming a bit tricky at first as it is significantly different from my T7C 2.4Ghz Tx. This isn't helped by the manual! I am getting there and have successfully transferred fixed wing and helis to the new Tx. So far I like it a lot, it just looks & feels like a quality product. Just put a DX18 alongside it and you'll see what I mean! Keith Emerson

Hi Keith,

Well, funny you should mention that. I had tried to bind a couple of R606s and had no luck, did some research and spoke to the distributor which confirmed that the 14SG wouldn't operate with them.

Last night I realised I hadn't bound a model to the Tx as I hadn't flown it since last summer. Bound it ok, looked closer and it was an R606!

I only wonder whether something has been tweaked in the subsequent software upgrade? I've been using the 14' every flying session this year and like it a lot. Best radio I've had.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 17/05/2013 13:08:58

I agree with David. This is a fine radio, The snag is that the manual has been written by the people who designed/manufactured the equipment and who 'assume' many things. It would be nice if when a new radio, for example, is produced, the manual is given to a couple of average modellers to read and constructively criticise the contents before final publication. We might then get more detailed guidance.

Overall though, quality, flexibility, etc the radio is excellent and in use is as solid and reliable as one could wish.

Hi David, I was actually looking for a contact address for you when I noticed this thread and then noticed that you were the moderator so I hoped that you'd read my posting. Glad to hear that the R606 works for you. As you say it could be down to the latest update. Do you know whether or not Futaba plan to store telemetry data on the SD card? The Tx has a very large storage capability on the SD card and playing back flight info on a PC would be a nice feature (The DX18 for one can do it). As for the manual... It seems to go out of its way to be obscure, it took me ages to get rate settings sorted out and also to get get a flaperon working on a dual servo aileron plane. These were a piece of cake on the T7C. As with so many things once you have solved the problem it becomes straightforward. I believe that someone has written an alternative guide for the 14SG but I could only find it for a Kindle (which I don't own). All that said I'm very happy with the Tx and flexibility comes at a price, in this case time spent learning how to programme it.

Hello Barrie, Yes you can use a PC. If you follow the link "Found it" in Andy Green's mail it will direct you to the Amazon site. On the right hand side of the page are some purchase options. If you select "send sample now" it will automatically guide you through getting the kindle application for your PC. Once loaded you can then buy any Kindle book from Amazon (or elsewhere). You can also have a look at a few sample pages from the 14SG manual, if you like the look of it you can then buy the manual as a download.