Futaba T14SG chat

Simon Chambers

No word from Ripmax on this, however this is from the US distributors:

Supports FASSTest (i.e. Telemetry) and also S-FHSS. Looks like its possibly to replace the 8FG.

A bit of info from a US distributor representative: Source

"Hi guys, while we are a bit early in the release of the 14SG. I'll try to answer some of your questions about it. Here are answers to the questions I can recall so far. Btw, the 14SG web page will be up soon, so keep checking at www.futaba-rc.com

Case- no it's not the same as the 8FG, the feel is very solid, switch spacing is wider (like the 18MZ), rubber grips on the sides and back.

Modulation: FASST, FASSTest, and yes...S-FHSS!

Telemetry, with vibration alerts, louder beeper also.

Programming is very similar to the 8FGS.

SensorTouch programming dial has been improved, it also has two buttons. You'll read more about these when the web page is up.

6v 1700 NiMH pack for power. I don't have run times yet, but so far it looks like well over 4 hours depending on how much you use the backlighting.

That's it for now, let me know if you have additional questions and I'll try to answer them.

Steve"

Looks like it could be a nice radio! Also finally Futaba are playing catch up and actually putting modern features (i.e. Telemetry) in their radios.

Hopefully Futaba won't price this ridiculously.

Estimated release date - around December 2012.

Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 24/10/2012 23:49:05

I've got a strong suspicion that it was released a bit early - as Futaba haven't update their website yet and Hobbico (US distributor) looks like they have been caught off guard with no offical release information. It was first listed on a Swedish modeling site. Of course this is only speculation.

I wouldn't be surprised if the model its to replace (if its the 8FG or 12/14mz) will hang around for a bit and sold off cheaply. The Futaba 6EX and 7C are still hanging around, even though the 6J and 8J replace it with a much better spec. No doubt they have a lot of old production stock to shift and I wouldn't be surprised if those ended production a good while ago.

Si.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 25/10/2012 08:16:17:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/10/2012 23:50:17:

I believe the US price will be $599 - if so that's well under £400.

Nice tranny.

BEB

Unfortunately, in the real world $599 usually comes to £599 when sold in the UK frown

I wonder why thats is.?

"what the market will bare" pricing perhaps?

Posted by Allan Bennett on 25/10/2012 08:16:17:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/10/2012 23:50:17:

I believe the US price will be $599 - if so that's well under £400.

Nice tranny.

BEB

Unfortunately, in the real world $599 usually comes to £599 when sold in the UK frown

Not quite so sure any more I'm in the US at the moment and went in a couple of shops looking for some bargains, Blade 130x heli US shop = 279 USD (not including tax), UK typically 140-150 GB£ inc VAT, Parkzone Micro Spitfire US shop = 106 USD (not including tax). UK around £70 inc VAT.

I was also looking at a video camera and the saving would have been less than the Tax difference (8.25% here vs 20% in UK).

Interestlying though the model shops in Houston are pretty much Horizon products dominated, so maybe Futaba US need to be more price concensious to regain some market share, whereas the UK has quite a loyal Futaba following.

Posted by Martyn K on 25/10/2012 15:51:15:

Just spotted the external aerial. I wonder why they didn't go for the internal like the T8J (he says getting worried).

Martyn

I wouldn't worry about it. I imagine it uses an external antenna as people belive that they give a better reception. In relativity it makes no measurable difference. In fact the T8J has dual antenna's so is more likely to offer a better spread of signal anyway.

It reminds me of the situation with Mobile Phones in the US up until around 2004-2005, where they all had external, extendable antennas - except the extendible part was fake! Market research at the time suggested that the American population believed that an external, extendible antenna gave better coverage. In Europe around the same time we were moving to smaller, internal antenna designs.

Example: Europe around 2000 America around 2005

Si.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 25/10/2012 20:04:58:

I think part of the reason for the price difference between UK and USA is that US prices are generally quoted without tax, whereas UK retail prices include tax. Sales tax varies from state to state in the US, which I believe is why they do it that way.

A £600 item in the UK has £100 tax on it angry

You only pay the sales tax if you live in the particular state the items are purchased from. Tower are based in Illinois and guys who order from them in any other State dont pay any tax.

Posted by Garbo on 25/10/2012 21:04:16:
Posted by Allan Bennett on 25/10/2012 20:04:58:

You only pay the sales tax if you live in the particular state the items are purchased from. Tower are based in Illinois and guys who order from them in any other State dont pay any tax.

I thought the US had moved to close that loophole and the retailer has to collect the tax for the state it's going to.