Dennis Bryant Rollason Turbulent 63"

Ok - ready? Here it comes - 1000 posts- cocktail!!

Now on with the show!

Here's the disappearing blog from last night as good as I can remember it. I wanted to do something specific that wasn't straight building so I did the Instrument Panel. It's close to the original and the 'instruments' are a mixture of RCME freebies and others from t'web. The layering technique was used to give depth and three layers in all were used excluding the glazing. The bevels were made from soft wire using the Wifey person's jewellery craft ring maker (an old hand drill with different augers in the end mounted on an Ikea work bench!).

dsc_0134.jpg

Stage 2 first layering and painted with acrylics. The screws are not to scale but they do OK don't they? (apologies to DF!)

dsc_0135.jpg

Then the centre panel was added and some extra 'notices done on the printer with decal paper. The switches are 1/4 scale glass head pins! devil The coloured lights are sequins - I make all my own dresses!

dsc_0142.jpg

Then the final notices and a quick varnish to bring it all together. Not bad eh? Try it - this was the first one I've ever done so if I can do it so can you!

dsc_0146.jpg

Naturally a quick trial had to be done in situ....................

dsc_0147.jpg

Terry

1K blogger

Advert

Posted by Terry Walters on 10/02/2013 18:08:12:
Posted by Danny Fenton on 10/02/2013 17:59:31:

looks great Terry, you might want to consider bushing thse holes with a little brass tubing, just for longevity.

Danny - forgot to mention that your advice was put into practice and I made the bushes from brass tube cut by the rolling with a Stanley Knife and then searching for hours on the floor to find the little devils. The ID of the brass tubes is spot on for the linkage and will be slop free (at least at that end!). yes

Terry

Then it time to tart the cockpit up a bit so a floor was needed. It had to be in three pieces to get it in after a few support strips were put in place. The 'stick' was also started and made to profile using plastic tube linked with an internal core of bent piano wire.

dsc_0212.jpg

Seat and back support cut from Depron - I've got some leatherette put aside to cover it. I told you I make my own dresses..........

dsc_0216.jpg

A burst of enthusiasm saw the quick production of a pair of rudder pedals. Note: This was before I rec'd my pilot who's scale leg's length may require the absence of the rudder pedals or a double lower leg amputation!!crying

dsc_0217.jpg

The 'stick' finished! The grip is covered with waxed black hemp from Highland Piping days.

dsc_0218.jpg

So - the office is taking shape....

dsc_0221.jpg

More next time folks.............!

Terry Turby

Posted by Dave Grennan on 03/05/2014 13:43:45:

Terry my jaw is on the floor looking through the wonderful craftsmanship on display here. Simply breathtaking to see a pile of balsa being turned into a wonderful turbie by such a skilled hand.

Best

Dave.

Thanks you Dave but I think you are overestimating my skill level. I really am on the learning curve on this one but also enjoying it. In a perfect world i would've found someone else's blog who had gone before me and followed that. I couldn't find one so I thought I would blog it 'warts and all' so that others can use it in the future. Plenty of challenges ahead on this one still!

Support does matter and I'm grateful to have it! One of things about this forum is the real skilled people out here who will offer guidance so you are never really on your own.

Terry

Sunday - been flying - all counted out and all counted back in and G+T on the terrace in the sun. No work on the Turby but catch up to be done on the blog so here goes!

First - a DF moment - trial fitting of ADH 1/4 scale pilot dressed as I asked for. Very pleased with the overall effect but will do a bit painting on the pilot, particularly the face and head gear. It was important to get the right effect.  If you look at pilots flying Turbys they all seem to look a little, shall we say, "too big" for the aeroplane (sorry Spice Cat)! I think the size of this pilot is about right. What do you think?

dsc_0331.jpg

Another view - yes just showing off my IP again!! wink

dsc_0332.jpg

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 04/05/2014 18:28:44

Now a couple of the jobs that were bugging me were the making of the elevator horn and also getting to grips with the construction of the working slots.

The elevator horn is shown on the plan as being made from flat brass sheet or steel and then drilled and folded - here's the plan view: in the main plane.

dsc_0338.jpg

Let me say now - I am not a metal worker although I did make a coat hook in metal work at school some ** years ago so I was hoping that I would find a commercial product or happen upon something else that would "do". Nope! So I made it! It's not pretty but it does the job. I copied the shape and pasted it onto the brass sheet then cut it out with a Dremel fitted with heavy duty cutting disc. My bench grinder smoothed it out and the bench press was used to drill holes in the places marked with a punch. The folding didn't go well.......... but there you go! Job done - it's a good thing that it won't show when fitted.

dsc_0337.jpg

This is how it fits:

dsc_0344.jpg

dsc_0335.jpg

It was good enough for me !

The slots! I looked for a long time at the plan before I felt I could start . They are working slots and not for show. I was as careful as I could be to make sure that each side was equal length and the slots were the same depth so no imbalance would be evident in the airflow and it's effects. This is what the starboard wing looked like as the leading edge and supports of the slot were fitted :

dsc_0333.jpg

The view from underneath showing the slot which allows the flow of air through to the top surface as the AoA increases. This controlled flow of air is encouraged to 'stick'cleanly to the top surface of the wing and thus delays the stall. Isn't that right Professor BEB?

dsc_0342.jpg

And here's the backward facing slot exit on the top surface of the wing after quite a bit of sanding to the profile of the wing!! Cough! Cough!

dsc_0340.jpg

Another quick assembly to check all is well and for P/O Fearless to sign the work off. He said it was fine but the long holes in the front of the wing needed to be filled in. A bottle of Malt Whisky sorted that little problem!

The wing seems to look larger now the slots are completed - When the ailerons are fitted it will seem enormous relative to the airframe. Don't worry this is not in our lounge but the upstairs family room in the roof space!

dsc_0345.jpg

Phew! Two of the more daunting bits done! Probably no problem for the true expert but certainly made me feel inadequate to start with but once you get started on the jobs you have to finish them don't you?

Terry

• 1 year later...

Hello Terry,

Thank you very much for your wonderfull building description for the rollason turbulent.It is my first scale model.

I admitt, without your discription it would have been impossible for me, to build this aircraft. So I have a good chance, to finish the construction. One thing I have not understood. How dit you mount the ailerons to the fusselage? Perhaps you have some pictures about this operation.

I wich you a merry chrismas and always happy landings. Sorry for my bad english.

Greetings from Germany

Bernhard Lewerenz

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 21/12/2015 12:42:29

Hi Berhard - greetings from France. I am English but live in France. Thank you for your kind comments. Your english is understandable. Frohe Weihnachten/Happy Christmas to you too.

The build has been stalled for a while but I hope to get it finished this Winter!smiley

I think you mean how did I mount the ailerons to the mainplane/wing?

It was very like the plan shows. I have found them to be very well balanced. I will take some more photos and send them to you in the next few days.

I found the build difficult because the plan is not 100% correct and also the parts I had were not always the right size!!

Are you using a IC engine or electric?

Where do you live in Germany?

Hi Manish too!

Tchuss

Terry

Hi Terry, thank"s for your reply.I live in St.Wendel, a small town near the French border.The rollason is my first scale-Modell.I have been building modell-aircrafts since 1972. I like planes from England, especially those from the golden aera.Tiger Moth, Spitfire etc.Perhaps i install the 46-Enya four stroke in the rollason,but also like electric-power.The Problem is: how do i install the lipo-battery without removing the wing?Well, winter is a Long time and i will find a solution.Hope we can Keep our contakt.Perhaps you also live near the german border.

Greetings from me and my wife veronika.(former rc-Pilot)

Bernhard Lewerenz

HI Bernhard,

I live in SW France near to Cahors so a long way from you. I have friends in Lahnstein near Koblenz and Rehau in Oberfranken.

I did consider electric power at one stage and did some work to make that possible but changed my mind and went back to IC engine power. What I did was use the fuel tank space and extended it forward through the fire wall to make battery tray that went under the electric motor mount inside the cowl. The battery could be inserted through the cockpit and pushed forward. I did take some photos of that but cannot find them at the moment.

Here are some photos I took today of the fixing of the ailerons to the main wing. I tried to make the supporting brackets from brass sheet but found that too difficult to get an accurate representation. I then cut and shaped them from ply sheet (you could try epoxy sheet?). However, on advice from another modeller,I cut a brass bearing to fit into the connecting hole to improve strength and wear resistance. These were cut from brass tube using a very sharp knife by a rolling action and ground to fit flush.

The important thing is to use small clamps to set up the ailerons to the brackets and ensure that the pivot points are in the right place. I drilled two or three holes before I could be sure that the ailerons moved correctly. I used piano wire through both pivot holes and moved the pieces around until I was happy. The finished hinges/pivot points make the movement of the ailerons very light indeed and they move very freely. Patience and perseverance is needed!

There is also a photo of the way I've mounted the servos to align better.

If you have any more questions please ask.

dscn4684.jpg

dscn4685.jpg

dscn4686.jpg

dscn4687.jpg

dscn4688.jpg

dscn4689.jpg

dscn4690.jpg

dscn4691.jpg

Hi Percy,

Thanks for the pics - very nice and a bit of a jolt to get going again. I think it should fly quite - to be in the air (at least once LOL!).

As I said earlier in the thread, some of the errors are down to Mr Bryant and others were with the laser cutting. If you have followed the mass Bryant chippie builds you will know that errors are also apparent on that plan tool. I 'parked' this Turby build to start the Chippie and now the latter build is also stalled for the moment. What am I like??

Onwards and upwards.........

Terry

Hello Terry,

thank you for your informatic pictures. That"s a great help for me.I have build a lot of planes, but this is the most difficult one.I will send you some pictures from my planes after christmas.I have build them only by plan, no kit..It will take a long time, to finish the turbolent, but in my head is a already the next project. its a zlin 225.

Merry christmas and a happy new Year

Bernhard Lewerenz

Posted by Percy Verance on 23/12/2015 19:20:52:

A question Terry.

A club colleague actually has the lazer cut parts set for the Bryant Turby, and he says the box seems rather heavy. How's the weight with yours?

From memory, I think my mate said there was a reference on the plan to the weight being about 7 pounds? Seems a lot for a relatively small model?

I think the Peter Miller one turned out at about 5 pounds.

Percy - Haven't weighed it so far but I can say that that it is 'robust'. After Xmas I'll weigh it properly and let you know. This vid on Youtube shows one flying and to me it seems to have a need to fly faster than I would like and I guess that's the effect of the weight.

Cheers

Terry

Posted by Bernd Lewerenz on 24/12/2015 08:06:28:

Hello Terry,

thank you for your informatic pictures. That"s a great help for me.I have build a lot of planes, but this is the most difficult one.I will send you some pictures from my planes after christmas.I have build them only by plan, no kit..It will take a long time, to finish the turbolent, but in my head is a already the next project. its a zlin 225.

Merry christmas and a happy new Year

Bernhard Lewerenz

Hi Bernhard - my pleasure to have been able to help you. Thank you for confirming how difficult the build is.to do. There have been times when I have thought that it was my building that was causing the difficulties!

Look forward to seeing your aeroplanes. Have a look at my albums of photos.

Best wishes for Xmas and the New Year and good luck with the Zlin.

Terry

Posted by Percy Verance on 23/12/2015 19:20:52:

A question Terry.

A club colleague actually has the lazer cut parts set for the Bryant Turby, and he says the box seems rather heavy. How's the weight with yours?

From memory, I think my mate said there was a reference on the plan to the weight being about 7 pounds? Seems a lot for a relatively small model?

I think the Peter Miller one turned out at about 5 pounds.

Well Percy - initial weighing of all the uncovered airframe including engine, exhaust, tank, prop, u/c etc but excluding flight battery, Rx, fuel, pilot figure and covering gets us to about 6.5 pounds already. I'm hoping that that great big wing will be the saviour! LOL!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Terry, I hope you had a nice christmas time.In Germany the weather is awful and so I continue building the

turbolent.Building the wing is a "nail to my coffin". in one picture you have fitted the wing location tongue permanently, but without the main landing gear.So it makes it easier to cover the wing.But how do you install the

leg wire, when everything is "closed?

Greetings from a frustationed builder

Bernhard

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 13/01/2016 15:38:20

Hi Bernhard,

Sorry for the delay in relying. We did have a nice Xmas thank you but the weather here is very wet now.

The wing is challenging to build and I think that it was the hardest part for me. Joining the wing pieces together also requires a lot of planning and patience,

The centre panel under the wing is now sheeted. I fitted the undercarriage wires before I sheeted over that section. I had to put a number of balsa pieces in the wing structure to support the sheet but it is still a little fragile Pressure on the surface of the sheet from holding it with your fingers at that point can cause it to break along the grain unless you are very careful.

I think covering the underside of the wings will have to be in three parts starting with the centre section which will need to be cut around the wires.

Your interest in my build has encouraged me to put it back on the work bench! Thank you.

Best of luck,

Terry

Just to prove I have actually done something on the Turby here's the pitot head. I know it will probably disappear first fligt but I had to find something I could do in an hour and get a result!

clip1.jpg

I also started to sand the rebate in the top front edge of the upper planking for fitting the cowl. Just hope I can keep up the enthusiasm this year. Fingers crossed. smiley