Chatterbox Covering??

Well i'm almost at the covering stage of my Vic Smeed/Ray Wood Chatterbox 2000 for the 2012 mass build (Yes i know!!....the time just flies). The original was tissue covered and i have some plus Solarfilm,Solarspan and Solartex. Which one to use?..would Solartex be too heavy for a 40"span,1 1/2lb built up frame model?. Thoughts please.

Andrew

Advert

Hi Andrew, solartex is great stuff, and easy to apply, but a wee bit heavy for your chatterbox. Solarfilm would be fine, but a bit glossy/hitec for my taste.

Why not go the original route, and use heavyweight tissue. Also, there are modern alternatives (heat shrink) that don't have an adhesive on the back, so are lighter. You apply the adhesive to the airframe.

ernie

Thanks all for the replies...Thought tex might be too heavy but i wanted to use what i had in,so it looks like it's down to tissue or solarfim.....EFB...I havn't any polyester leftsad....Ernie...you're right, film is a bit shiney for this one...Only have lightweight tissue, do you think that would do?....

Andrew

Andrew,

I was after a contrast between the fuz and the other bits and what you see is all I had lying around,too tight to buy anymore Tex.

I think a model of this size 40/44" covered in Tex would not be a problem weight wise as long as you dont go wild with paint and dope etc.

I have another vintage job called a Redskin around 40" span and its covered with natural Solartex and it flies a treat,its the one on the right of this pic.

Jim

Thanks Jim, thats very helpful Re the weight. Part of the confusion came from the fact that Boddo covered his Mini Super in tex and that is only 5" greater span and flew well. I like the tex and film mix and i have some in matching colours, so i may go that route. Thanks once again for everyones help.

Andrew

Tissue over mylar would give the best results. It's light, puncture resistant, adds rigidity to the airframe, cheap & gives the most genuine vintage look. Downside is the smell of dope & you have to cover twice. If you are going to cover with tissue it's probably worth the extra effort as it will look good longer & last longer.

• 7 years later...

Just found this - rather late to add a post but I built one a few years ago. Wasn't aware that it had been the subject of a mass build or would have joined in.

Used natural Solartex for covering and painted with emulsion paints. Used a small brushless motor with a 2S Lipo and a 7 x 5 prop "borrowed" from a DC Merlin. Flies well and I have had no issues thinking it might be over weight. I didn't make the U/C as there is no suitable take off area where I now fly.

Malcolm