Bae Hawk by D. Crawford

Completed the sanding. Glued the vertical fin to the fuselage. Added the sub fin to the back of the tail section, it looked cool on other Hawk models, so I had to add it on. Check the pushrods and cables on the fuselage, fuel proof the engine compartment, add landing gear and start to cover the model.

Jim

2017-01-02-001.jpg

Edited By Jim Purcha on 03/01/2017 03:39:17

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

Thanks Dennis. I am curioius about the pictures. I did add these from an album and not from a different sight. I have threads on rcgroups and rcuniverse and I've never seen this happen before. Rcgroups I can always edit. RCU there is also a time span to edit a posting. But those pictures I've uploaded from my pc, not to an album.

Another moderator is looking into restoring through a backup.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jim,

I like your colour scheme. Is it based on a full-scale scheme, as I've not seen a Hawk like that?

I'm a great lover of red and white schemes myself, having bought a huge job lot of red and white film many years ago at the British Woodvale Rally, which usually had a Solarfilm stall selling 'seconds' that were perfectly usable.

Edited By Steve Houghton on 06/03/2017 12:40:54

Thanks Steve, It is some what based on a real scheme. I first saw this photo of a classic pattern plane, then found the BAE Hawk in a the same colours. I changed the red roundel to Canadian Maple Leafs (couldn't cut a small enough perfectly round circle). Empire Test Pilot Flight School. My son wanted me to make the roundel a black Star Wars "Empire" symbol.

Jim

599204.jpg

13904097447_8de8050046_b.jpg

Edited By Jim Purcha on 06/03/2017 12:48:51

Edited By Jim Purcha on 06/03/2017 12:51:38

Posted by Nigel R on 06/03/2017 12:53:38:

Looking good in the red & white.

How are you treating of the cowl area? Clearcote around the nose first, film next, then over the edges of film with more clearcote?

HI Nigel, no clear coat. I painted the inside of the cowl with finishing epoxy resin then a coat of Sig Grey dope (fuel proof). The nose ring was also painted with grey dope.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Tried to finish the plane for the club spring "Show and Tell". I got most of the plane complete, just need pushrods installed, fuel tank and be balanced. It is presently very nose heavy. I have to check the CG of the model. Presently the model is 5.43 lbs.

Jim

img_0065.jpg

Outside in the spring sunshine.

img_0089.jpg

At the community club. Great "Lucky13" for the voters.

Edited By Jim Purcha on 25/04/2017 00:36:08

A bit of a discussion on RCgroups on this build on the correct CG point for this model. The plans call out 6.25" from the LE at the fuselage.Which works out to 39% of the MAC. It was recommended I start with 30% of the MAC which places the CG at 5.3" from the LE of the wing at the fuselage.

The photo shows the plane balanced with the battery pack behind the wing at the 30% MAC position.

rcme-hawk 45_plan-cg.jpg

img_0099.jpg

• 9 months later...