2nd model choices

Mark Harrison 579

Hi folks,

I've been flying my arising star solo and should hopefully get my 'A' sorted soon. I've started to get an itchy wallet for my next model but am slightly overwhelmed by the choice.

Some thoughts are, LA racer 40, travel air / speed air, wot4, acrowot or pulse xt40.

I've got an option on an unused JEN 47 with tuned pipe for 20 quid so this might be the engine I'd use.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Mark

Wot 4. It is a perfect follow on from the Arising star, the Jen will fly it nicely, flies brilliantly being nice and friendly, and with more experience it will do pretty much anything. It will also fly in any weather and it is a nice strong design. Other alternatives are the ones you have listed, maybe the SLEC Funfly but you'll struggle to beat the Wot.

CS

Travel Air/Speed Air - both great models, fly well, well put together.

WOT4 - what can one say that hasn't been said already. The definitive second model. Will fly everything you can fly and an awful lot more!

Pulse XT40 - great model. Not cheap but superb quality. Flies perfectly - very well mannered. Will do all the aerobatics the average club flier could manage. Very solid, will take a lot of punishment.

LA Racer - I haven't flown one so can't comment - but I seriously doubt if its better than any of the above - secretly doubt its as good!

Don't suppose that helps a lot does it? Personally, if it was a kit built WOT4 (not the ARTF) I'd go for that. Otherwise I'd probably come down on the side of the Pulse. The WOTTY is slightly more agile - but the diffrence between that and the Pulse is only likely to bother you if you fly at a very high standard.

BEB

none of the model you have mentioned are bad models, but it does depend on your ability as well can i also add in there the low wing Kyosho calmato, as a great follow on low wing trainer, some of my pupils have jumped too quickly to a pulse or a wot4 only to pay the price at a later date with a bag of bits, if you are a bit of a hot shot then the models you suggest are ok, but if you are a tad behind that then the calmato is almost unbeatable.

as for the Jen 47 ... there is a reason it is for sale for 20quid ........save your money and buy an irvine 46 and you can thank me later

Thanks for your thoughts folks. Lee, the calmato was on my list too but i'd forgotten it.

Think i'll leave the pulse and acrowot for later, can't help thinking they're a bit too nice at this time.

I think i'd like a low winger but I get that 'everyone should have a wot 4'

My thoughts on the Jen were that for £20 it's probably worth a punt, they pipe's probably worth more than that alone.

So travel / speed air or calmato....................or wot 4. My instructor's got an LA racer so should be trying that out soon.

I just need to stop procrastinating and order something.

Hi Mark,

Can you fit the JEN 47 into your Arising Star to check it out?

Even if it's just a few ground runs to make sure it's a runner before

committing it to a new model - best to have confidence in it.

My JEN 47 is a good motor but others seem to have different experiences....

The Galaxy Scorpion (now from MHS) is a nice low winger if you

fancy a build.

the pipe is probably worth more than that...if someone will buy it ....personally we have had too many at the patch that have been problematic to be worth the effort, most our beginners buy Irvine on our recommendations, and they are the ones in the air all the time....simples...... can i also point you in the direction of a tiger 60 by low winger from phoenix models as well, if money is a tad tight, i have reviewed her a few years ago and she is very nice and stupid easy to land, if i had the choice i would always go for the calmato though.... it is even easier, flies stupid slow, and is so forgiving, but to be honest mark it depends on the level you are at, if you are already able to do most aeros your trainer is capable of, without pooin your self and multiple rolls without losing height then the wotty or pulse is for you, if your landings are still a bit doggy at times then go for something like the calmato!!

good luck either way

Edited By Lee Smalley on 31/10/2012 08:48:04

Any of those models would be good, except maybe the LA Racer. It's designed around the OS 40/46 LA engines, which are very light compared to a J'En 47 so you might end up with a nose heavy plane. Not a terrible thing I suppose, but it can lead to a perfectly ok plane turning into a stodgy, difficult to roll, hard to flare dog. Also might be a little overpowered if such a thing is possible.

I only have personal experience of the kit built Wot 4, which is still my most flown model after nearly twenty years of use (and a new fuselage) and I can't speak too highly of it. It can fly like a trainer, is easy to land but can do any aerobatics you can - rolling circles, knife edge, prop hanging. Not a great looker though. A friend had a Pulse, and it looked great and was nicely made and finished and flew beautifully, but he put the spats through the wing a couple of times in less than perfect landings. The Speed Air/Travel Air models are very good, well built and fly well, but the covering is rubbish and splits too easily. Nearly all the ones I've seen have a few patches. The Acrowot is a lovely model too, but be aware that the new ARTF would need a lot of nose weight with your J'En to balance. Too many options out there these days, we're spoiled for choice.

Hope some of that helps.

John.

Edited By John Muir on 31/10/2012 09:31:10

Speaking from my own experience. I went from a Wot Trainer (high wing) to a Hanger 9 Pawnee 40 (low wing). Before I had the chance to fly the Pawnee 40 a Pulse XT 25 joined the fleet.

I had some 100 flights on the Pulse before looking at the Pawnee. I think the Pulse 40 is a good choice.

It is stable but will do anything you ask of it. but it depends what you intend to do with your flying.

I want to go towards scale Warbirds so a low wing model like the Pawnee 40 was a given for me.

If you want a high wing model the Wot 4 is a good choice.

Mike

Well for what it's worth.....

I was given some advice by the then club chairman shortly after I passed my 'A' a couple of summers ago... and I chose to ignore it then..... and have since come to regret ignoring it.... was....

Get yourself a WOT 4

I've since bought one, and see why I was so advised.

There is a reason why it will turn up again and again on lists like this!

Anyone can fly a WOT 4.... but then if you can really fly a WOT 4, you can really fly!

It has no real vices, but it does reward those who fly it well.,

And... my expereince.... Jen's can be a false economy becasue they take a LOT of running in. I know others will have had different experiences, but its becoming a pretty consistent pattern at our field. If you have to put a whole gallon through it before its fit for the air, then its not really a bargin. BTW, I noticed that HobbyKing's UK site have ASP 52's for about £35 which might be a better bet. I only have experience of the suspiciously similar SC 52 which has been good and similar in power output to a decent Irvine 46.

the wot 4 whilst being a magnificent aeroplane is not allways the answer, it does not suit everyone, honestly, some of my pupils just are not able to handle its speed and agility at that stage in their flight training, some can and thats great, there are others who should not buy somthing like a calmato as they would get too bored with it too quickly, but there are others who would crash ia wot 4 very quickly and find it too much, it really does depend on the pupil.......... the wot 4 is not the answer to all......i have taught pupils for over 20 years and it does not suit everone...some yes... others never.... Mark, virtually all models mentioned here have been good suggestions but you have to decide where you stand and your ability level, ask your instructor if he thinks your up to whatever model you are thinking about and then take it from there.

i have to agree on the jen though too many bad examples to counter the good

Edited By Lee Smalley on 31/10/2012 13:01:55

Ok so I think I'm turned off the jen idea, funnily enough everywhere seems short of irvine 46's so that must say something. I might get one and run it in in my arising star whlle blagging some goes on other members models.

Lee, without blowing my own trumpet too much I've been taking off, flying (with a few loops and rolls) and landing in pretty blustery conditions with no real dramas. There are people at our club with about my experience who seem to smash up a model or 2 on every visit to the strip. My instructor thinks i'll be ok with anything.........maybe he's just a glass half full kind of guy. ;o)

Mark

Yes, let us know how it goes Mark.

Flying your second model - low winger, Wot4 or whatever - is one

of those moments in your aeromodelling career you'll want to remember.

I still remember the first flight of my Crescent Bullet after flying only high

wingers for weeks a few years ago - I had the shakes at the end of it.

More adrenaline than any big park ride!

Good luck.

I found the Pulse 40 brilliant but the model I fly with no vices is the Seagull Harmon Rocket.Its a brilliant low winger and ,its surrounded by Wot 4's .At least when I fly it I can tell which model mine is,To me the Wot 4 isnt a low winger.I believe in a photo of Lee's I saw a Harmon Rocket hanging up.

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 01/11/2012 09:34:53

• 3 weeks later...

Steve usually has 5 landings with his rocket cheeky

I seem to be at a simlar stage to you Mark and am undecided which model to get next, I have been flying a super 60 with ailerons since may and feel its time to move on, but to a true trainer or a wot 4, i've been thinking maybe i'm trying to run before i can walk, but I have been flying Mick's wot 4 on buddy lead doing rolls and loops, stall turns etc no landings or take offs yet with the wot 4, i did manage to land the super in the tree in the fog the other day, which took quite a bit of skill face 16

so my options are

irvine tutor

wasp

wot 4 trainer

wot 4

you decide angry 2