Windy Weather

JT

Given the season's typically windy conditions......

What do you tend to fly (if at all) on windier days?

I'm not talking gale force winds or extreme gusts - just those days when the wind is up but it's otherwise nice outside.

Advert

My favourite for windy weather is a Dave Smith Aerostar pattern ship. Second favourite is my Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk.

I'm lucky in that our club patch is in the middle of a 400 acre farm with no trees anywhere near, so turbulence is rare.

1. Yes you can fly petrol off the slope though it is best to remove the prop. CG can be varied by fuel in the tank - I have done this......

2. Petrels do indeed fly very well off the slope but if you have one for a head I can't help you here.

3. A line of trees giving turbulence in one direction will give perfectly useable slope lift in the other. You need a DLG or lightweight foamie like an alula. Failing that a catapult launch and good nerves can provide a stimulating DS experience. Flat lands are no excuse for not sloping. See here: http://www.dynamic-soaring.de/images/videos/Marco_343_14.01.wmv

Hi James,

I have a similar flying site as you describe here in Kent and find my Acrowot handles wind to about 20 mph ok but I don't tend to choose those days for flying really. It can be hovered and spot landed quite easily in the wind though.

My YT Spitfire had it's maiden just before Christmas in 10-15mph wind and didn't even notice it so I supose I could fly that in stronger conditions if necessary (14lb).

My Raptor heli flies quite happily in any wind conditions as long as I don't go above the tree/shrub line! Low circuits and hovering about is ok and fairly turbulent free.

This time of the year I tend to wait for a high to come over and generally fly in the cold, frosty, calm conditions it creates. Another bonus why I like going then is that the mud stiffens up and car/model box/feet stay cleaner.