Resurfacing a hot iron.

Weyfly

Advert

Hi Weyfly,

I have an iron from which the coating has simply worn off due to use.

The lack of the coating doesn't seem to have any bad effects. If you have to scrape the surface some patient smoothing with progressivly finer wet or dry paper should have it sevicable again. Try a piece of rigid plastic as a scraper. Just make dure that there are no sharp scratches.

Peter Gain.

Have a go cold with a cloth and a bit of elbow grease to see if you can remove the glue residue. Just soap and water would be a suitable first try. If not try some standard solvents. Candidate solvents include; acetone, IPA (iso-proply alcohol), white sprit etc. Make sure you clear off all traces of the solvent before turning the iron on!

BEB

Well, the glue from the laminating film is certainly made of stern stuff, have tried water/soap/cellulose thinners/meths with no luck, I have tried a straight knife and gently scraping parallel with the surface and its not going to budge easily

Just tried the heat to max trick, that and some more meths and rubbing with clean coarse paper has got most of it off, a gentle rub with some wet and dry will restore some smoothness.

Only reaction I got was, "whats that smell in my kitchen?" smile d

Thanks for the tips.

Pinch a pair of the wife's stockings or tights, cut into 8-10 inch lengths and tie a knot in one end of the pieces that have both ends open (the foot obviously doesn't need this treatment). Stretch the tube over the iron and hold the end in place with a rubber band or re-closable cable tie, or just clamp it to the iron handle with your hand. You can get 6 to 8 iron socks from a pair of tights or stockings, depending on the length of the wife's legs! Very little heat loss, and thermostat control is easily adjustable.

So, I can mug my grandchildren for their socks, run off with my wifes tights or........... and there was the wife demanding I find a nice quiet hobby! nerd

Don't suppose anyone has tried Hammerite Smooth or Sperex paint?

Many thanks for those tips.