Tucano - Built up wing variant

Martyn K

I think that I have already said that I plan to do a built up wing variant of the mass build model. I am not a great lover of sheet wings - (I think that) it's too difficult to find sufficient quantities of decent quality wood nowadays..

I have drawn up a set of wing ribs based upon a NACA0010 wing section.

An A3 printable set of wing sections can be downloaded from here

I have also saved the output as a DXF file in case anyone wants to get a set of laser cut ribs done..

Please PM me with an e-mail address if you want a set.

The salient details are:

• 1/16" sheet LE upper and lower to the main spar.
  • Some root ribs will be liteply
  • All spars etc balsa is nice easy to get 1/4" stock. Tapered spars will be simply cut from sheet..
  • Using 1/16" webs up to bay 6 from the root
  • Wing rib spacing 57mm equidistant. 1" soft block wing tips to get that nice curvy tip shape
  • 1/16" x 1/4" cap strips from main spar to TE spar
  • Sheet ailerons and infil behind the TE spar. Keep the wood light..
  • I am not producing a fullsize plan, I am simply going to draw onto the shop plan to place the rib spacing.
  • Undercarriage, servo mounting etc - haven't thought about it yet..
  • Power - probably a .20/.25 size whatever I have got lying around at the time..

This will be slow, already got 3 models WIP....

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Very interesting idea, gives me something to think about for my build as I want an undercarriage. Do you think retracts would fit?

My plans should arrive soon so I will cut the ribs from card or depron or something and see how the model will look.

I have never built from plans before so is building a wing like this very hard to do?

Hi WF

If you have never built from plans before then I suggest that you stick to the plan

Re-engineering means a lot more planning and analysis as you are basically moving away from a proven formula.

However, I don't think it is that difficult to build a wing, providing that you are patient and make sure you are happy that everything fits before you commit to glue..

I am not sure if you will get retracts into the wing or not, the thickness is 10% of  the chord so it will be very tight but you may get micro retracts to fit somehow. Personally, I'll be going for fixed trike u/c with a steerable nosewheel (somehow).

If you go down this route, I'll be happy to help any way I can, but I know nothing about building with depron - sorry.

BW

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 08/11/2012 14:12:55

Hi Ian

No problemo... need to think how the u/c will fit though. To keep in the spirit of the design, I have gone for a slim section which will make getting a stiff enough undercarriage mount a challenging proposition.. A solid wing doesn't have that problem.

Martyn

Hi Martyn, this is a variation I'm also considering.

NACA0010 is a very thin section - probably good for a faster model like this. But one thing to consider is that its a symmetrical section. This almost certainly means you are going to have to change the incidence - probably making it a little more positive. I don't know what Nigel's design is rigged to - possibly zero-zero. Maybe Nigel could advise?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/11/2012 19:54:01

HI BEB
I did look fairly closely at the original. I admit that it isn't symmetrical but it's so thin that it will have to fly at a positive AoA to generate any lift. My thoughts are that I was planning to use the same geometry - I would guess that any trim variation could be eliminated by a couple of clicks of up. I did think of doing a hybrid naca0008 lower, naca0012 upper but I am not sure that the effort is worth it. However, I am more than happy to be corrected on that point!

Bw

Martyn