Gentle Lady Glider flying over Attenborough Nature Reserve

Stuart Eggerton

Hi everyone, last weekend I did a flight for Notts Wildlife Trust as a volunteer over their Attenborough Nature Reserve, located at Nottingham, UK.

I used the Go Pro video camera set up strapped to a Gentle Lady glider as an aerial platform, which the Gentle Lady is an ideal candidate. The model is slow and stable and gives great shots.

I took off from a field just outside the reserve and got some fabulously clear shots Video is below...

Advert

Thanks Tom

Hi BBC, yes the glider is the Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady, a favourite glider of mine, had 3 in total!. The glider floats about very well. I did build up the Gentle Lady from a kit and now see there is an ARTF version available.

Scott I have looked at FPV but the price is a bit prohibitive at the moment, but would allow me to get even better shots, the current method of strapping the camera onto a model and flying from the ground guessing what I am filming is a bit hit and miss but generally one gets good footage eventually.wink

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 23/11/2012 07:14:21

OK specs for the Gentle lady model glider

Motor is a Hi Model, sorry can't be any more specific as it was fitted to the model by a friend, the motor has a diameter of 27.75mm. A picture of the motor is below.

Also on the wattmeter the model pulls 250 watts at WOT. The battery is a 3 cells 2200mah lipo. The esc is a BRC 20 Amp. The prop is 8 inches diameter but don't know the pitch. Sorry for my sketchy set up details, but I think as long as you get 250 watts she should fly well.

Very nice video, makes a pleasant change to see footage from such a stable platform, the Go Pro gives excellent results, the choice of music adds the atmosphere you have created and the time of day with the low sun and long shadows .... it all adds to effect ... well done. yes

Interested that you have been so successful with a GoPro, there is no doubt that the quality of their output is high but clearly the Gentle Lady managed the weight very well ... food for thought .... just had my montlhy mailshot from Costco ... there is a Go Pro on offer there .... hhhmmmm!

Hi Avtur, my Go pro is the hero2 and not the original, The hero2 does give better video quality than the original. Tim, I have done some time lapse videography on clouds . Romeo Whisky, it must have been an amazing transformation to see the gravel pits flooded and turned into a nature reserve, there are floods at Attenborough Nature Reserve right now and the new flood defence wall has been called into action so fingers crossed all is well.yes

I made a video of the high water at the nature reserve here: It's even higher now though. Never seen it this high in the 4 years my girlfriend and I have been birdwatching at the reserve.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done another two video's (been busy!) one is flying over the town of Arnold in Nottingham and the other flying over Attenborough Nature Reserve again but from a different part. smiley

Please view the videos at 720p (HD) if your computer will allow as the resolution is better wink

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 06/12/2012 22:25:41