Blue or Pink?

cagey

Simon has built a model of the Natter, which he managed to fly.

I think there were control issues, partly i suspect to power, not withstanding the obvious issues of close coupled and the roll, pitch and yaw, being undertaken via the tailplane and rudder/fin arrangement..

I also think Simon encountered a Cg issue with the motor situated at the rear.

From the video, I was left with the impression that even when flying apparently under control, the model was a fraction away from doing its own thing.

Advert

Hi Cagey,

Don't know if it's worth pointing this out, but blue and pink foams are not EPP, they are types of extruded polystyrene, known as Styrofoam. The colour is irrelevant but Styrofoam comes in a lot of different densities so some might be fine for a flying model, some might be too dense and heavy. EPP is expanded polypropelene and is different stuff altogether, much lighter, very bouncy and flexible.

HTH, John.

magnum # left side.jpgwing build 2.jpgmy wing.jpgHere in the US i use dollar tree foam ,its cheap but you have to pull the paper off of each side .This what i built this white wing with . Both planes were built wih blue dow fanfold . The fanfold  weighs almost twice as much as the white foam or depron also but its cheap . I use gorrila glue on my builds because its cheap also. joeslowly 5 mine.jpg

Edited By road king97 on 11/01/2013 21:26:47

Posted by road king97 on 11/01/2013 21:22:25:

Here in e US i use dollar tree foam ,its cheap but you have to pull the paper off of each side .This what i built this white wing with . Both planes were built wih blue dow fanfold . The fanfold weighs almost twice as much as the white foam or depron also but its cheap . I use gorrila glue on my builds because its cheap also. joe

Edited By road king97 on 11/01/2013 21:26:47

Kingy, you should check out the new Model Plane Foam ! They send you 16 x 6mm sheets 2ft by 4ft for 65 bucks shipped! Unless you're in Hawaii, then it's a bit more. These three model making guys have specially developed this foam with RL Adams Co., the people who manufactuer Readiboard, Dow and Owens Corning FFF. It has no 'skin' on either fac, can be cold formed better than anything I've seen online, and is light. Deffo cheaper then Depron for you in the US!

And finally, I see they have managed to come up with a relatively cost efficient international package too! So us UK guys can try it out as well!!

Yes i know about MPF, its the best stuff to build with and iam glad to here my friend across the pond are finaly getting some. I build toon planes like the red and yellow one inbetween my big balsa builds so i dont get burnt out on building big planes. My grandkids take most of my toon planes we get a good day of flying with them all. I dont need exspencive foam for toon planes so i save my money to build balsa seaplanes . .

Edited By road king97 on 13/01/2013 16:16:44

Posted by road king97 on 13/01/2013 16:08:26:

Yes i know about MPF, its the best stuff to build with and iam glad to here my friend across the pond are finaly getting some. I build toon planes like the red and yellow one inbetween my big balsa builds so i dont get burnt out on building big planes. My grandkids take most of my toon planes we get a good day of flying with them all. I dont need exspencive foam for toon planes so i save my money to build balsa seaplanes .

Edited By road king97 on 13/01/2013 16:16:44

Ah, good news man. Woo! I love that sea plane, what is it? I'm not too knowledgeable on their history etc. Just about the only one I know is the Catalina, but that's about half the size of that beauty you're showing there. We have a nice canal just half a mile from where I live, and I definitely can see me building something to suit. Hey, wait, did you suggest that MPF is expensive? Teehee! I have to laugh therefore at the prices we pay over here, even for Depron (which I've never used yet). Compared to the UK you guys are sorted price wise. I'll have to check your photos to see if you have any more sea planes.

Edited By Chuck Plains on 15/01/2013 23:22:32

My seaplane is a 99 inch wing span short solent from Ivans plans ,4 -480 brushed motors with gear boxes swinging 4- 4 bladed apc props Iam using 2-3200 lipo packs pushed all the way up into the nose with little room to spare. It flys like a very sloooow trainer and lands very smooth. I am switching the brushed motors out this winter to brushless with motor steering while on the water ,my rear rudder turns it but not very well in winds with that giant rudder. I know another builder in the UK that is using foam for under hard wood floors and bought at DYI stores there. I will see if i can get a picture for you. joe

Edited By road king97 on 16/01/2013 15:15:01