Li-Po batteries

Advert

When it comes to retort to Mr Grumpy...I think so yes

Tom, when you say "NEW" are you saying that they were like this "out of the box" as it were, or did you use /charge / discharge or whatever before they swelled?

If the former, then send them / take them straight back as they are obviously naff.

However if ( as I suspect ) you did "something" to them then tell us what it was, and maybe then we can give a diagnosis of the cause. I promise not to shout at you, or get grumpy...

PS Tim is right of course....you must dispose of them if swollen. 

Caw! That'll be a first Timbo!

Seriously though, as Timbo says Tom, your initial post says "i just bought a new, very expensive set and they were completely destroyed with bulging".

If they come from the box bulged, get them back to the shop post haste. There is a dangerous chemical reaction taking place which could even lead to fire.

If you have "charged" them to cause this bulging, how did you charge them? They are very tempermental to charge as each cell has to be charged seperately and balanced as you go. You need a special charger Tom.

thanks guys, the bateries are on their way back to the shop as you read this, and no, im not even sure how you would go about making a battery bulge?? and thanks for the safety tips, i shant leave them lying around as long if it happens in future

once again thanks

Timbo

I just tried to recharge a 7.4v 1000Mah LIPO and got an alarm from my charger. Used a multi meter which showed 1 volt out put. I had left the Bty conected to the ESC the ESC was however switched off. I think I know the answer here. Its broke aint it?

Jon

I had a couple of Li-po's that had received a fair deal of use and they would not balance on the charger so I took them apart (carefully!) and, although one was beyond repair, the other one had just puffed one of the three cells.  I cut out the offending cell and, voila, one 7.4v Li-po lives on!

The one interesting bit was cutting down the pcb on the end of the pack without shorting out the cell, I decided to use a cut-off wheel on the Dremel rather than a metal saw!

The point is though Myron, as you obviously are not a fan of electric powered flight, why keep contributing criticisms to a forum entitled "Electric Flight"?!  Surely this wonderful hobby is big enough for all to enjoy and not to have to keep up this daft "yah-boo IC is better than electric", "get a proper engine", blah, blah, blah.  Why not just look at the bits of the forum that interest you and where you can make constructive, useful criticisms instead of griping all the time?  Or is it just that you enjoy being grumpy?!

Cheers,

Tim.

P.S. - I envy you the camper-van.

See my intro on other thread  to maybe replace BB 'cos you think it's me

I AM interested in electric flight ,especially ducted fans but like a lot of other folks on the forum I simply can't afford to invest in stuff I won't be happy with .Love to go 'lectric. Don't take my word for it ! A lot of fliers would love to convert or supplement  their enjoyment of our obsession/hobby but feel a bit like me .I do know where I stand with what I have & use .I appreciate your informative tutorials etc. Well done

Just not happy to go out & spend money on something I inherently don't really feel happy with.Have you seen the thread showing that beautiful bipe going up in smoke?Sad!

Jon. - Yes

However...if you have a "dumb charger" which just puts out a charge current, and you can set it to approx 10th of the battery capacity IE 100m/a, then try connecting the pack to that. STAY with it whilst it simmers, and observe carefully for any signs of swelling etc. If all OK after say....2- 3 hrs, take it off the cooker, and check the voltage reading of the pack again. If its showing above 4V or so...you may have revived it, and could try it again on the LiPo charger at say .5C rate. Good luck.

I presume you have now learnt /learned the rule about NEVER leaving the pack cionnected to a ESC even if it is "off "

I am VERY dissapointed with LIPos I have done everything in my power to make the explode/burn and they don't do nuthin, even when cut open and boiled in hydrochloric acid. I have burnt them, shorted them out, connected them to 12v car chargers/ and genraly abused them totaly and all I have managed so far is to make one puff up after over discharging it in a helicopter. Makes you sick. WHY WON?T THEY EXPLODE?!!!

Still carge them in an out building on a large tile though.  lol F

• 3 weeks later...

ha ive got this new "hard cell" lipo and  guess what!! its not bulged !!!

and i wouldnt really do that to lipos if i were you youll end up killing yourself!!( if u want a nice explosion, chuck a half full tank of methanol on a fire  and some people were getting me to change to i/c, no. ive had trouble with i/cs and they really annoy me, electric is the way forward!!

the only problem with electric is budgets!!

tom