At the end of my tether (nearly)

Rusty C

If possible I am aiming to sidemount the engine in my new Sea Fury, which hopefully will take a high tank issue out of the equation and stop any loading up at idle. I had to move the tanks down as far as I could in my Kyosho Spit and Mustang, which was still not ideal. So I cheated and fitted onboard glow! Very convenient when set up right.

Advert

Well done Rusty...I knew you'd get there in the end.....thumbs up For a moment I was afraid you might be tempted by the dark side & fit an outrunner.....smile o

As ian says the tank position is the main variable that can spoil you day here.....provided it isn't ridiculously high or low compared with the carb it should be fine......

Into the air on Boxing day then??

My tank centre is at fuel inlet level maybe very slightly lower, With this and the test for syphoning I should think all is well.

When I was on the test bed I was playing about with the tank lifting it way up and there was not much to be noted really, So I am hopeful that this will end well. I am determined to get this F/S and AT-6 flying on Boxing day so here's hoping.

rusty

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting thread. I too bought an SC 70fs to upgrade from an SC 52fs. Both were fitted inverted and once all the running in was done they were absolutely fine. So much so that I now only use SC engines.

I have noticed that the low end needle is very very precise and that any adjustment must be done in tiny amounts.

When first setting up the low end idle Its very easy to turn it a little bit in (but just to far) followed by a little bit out (but just to far) followed by I'll try it a bit further in or out........

So is your SC still in and did you make your Boxing day date? UMM

The SC is still in and is sorted it took a hell of a time sort out, I still had to give up a bit on transition in order to get a rock solid idle as it is a touch lean. But Its not a problem as its just a little wobble at a stick position that is not producing any meaningful flying power.

I am still not 100% convinced with it but I dont think it warrants and new more expensive motor. The aircraft itself looks and flys lovely very forgiving with now bad habits yet!

rusty

Seems like you may have sorted this, but we just had an interesting time at the field with my sons OS56. It has been running really sweetly for a long time, just fuel it, start it, and fly, but after a couple of flights on new years day it went balky. It would start fine, but would cut out, usually just as you got to the strip ready to take off. It would just bog out and not respond to the throttle. It would restart again back at the pits. After a bit of fiddllng we got to wondering about the plug...turned out our spare had been put in a new engine, but someone lent us a used one. Suddenly all was back to normal.

So the lesson for us was that glow plugs don't last forever, and that they don't always go open circuit. I guess we can't complain, that one has been in the engine since new, which was 18 months and lots of flights back.

John

Rusty, glad you got to fly and that the texan still has its sc 70fs, bit of a saga but you got there in the end and hopefully it'll now just keep on going as mine do.

John, you answered a question to a thread I posted a few weeks back entitled going going gone. I had almost exactly the same problem and wondered if it was possible for plugs to die a slow death rather than just run perfect until they die altogether. seems our plugs were just a bit ill, but like you I cant complain its been in there since about 2006 (about 200 flights)

I have been following this thread with some interest and am glad to see there is a positive outcome to it. SC engines are my favourite of the OS clones and I have bought a lot of them over the years, four-strokes mainly, and I haven't had a bad one yet. As they say: "It does exactly what it says on the tin"!