Junior 60 electric - any tips?

Advert

Excellent Dave, it should last you 50 years and should fly like a dream. One thing you can always do with a Junior 60 which will fly 'hands off', is take it to a great height almost a spec in the sky above your head and not lose control. I am sure with mine with the engine cut I could gain height by just holding the plane into the wind using the rudder only---good fun!

Don't forget to trim the wing dowels!

MJE

david..........should we get some calm weather....your JNR will fly with you using the trims only.....just above take off speed........very relaxing and it is a credit to the lads all them years ago -who designed it.....i think with some help from'young asher's and BEB' ....i may be wrong.....

ken anderson ne..1 JNR dept.......

Thanks guys, sorry about pictures been a long time since i tried to put some pictures up, do you think its turned out ok for my first plan build, i have taken pictures of the build was going to post them to help other new builders, i did use a lot of reference from other people who has buit one so some of the mods are down to them and not my ideas, just have sort the CG out , wing dowels, and a bit of tidying up, and she should be ready thanks for looking Dave

Edited By david 7 on 24/05/2013 21:00:19

One thing I would suggest is not to overpower it - 200 watts is ample for a very brisk climb and once up the J60 will cruise around at 50 watts quite easily.

When overpowered, this type of model tends to get all dutch-rolley and unstable, and not at all pleasant to fly!

In mine I had a triangular A123 3S pack permanently strapped to the bearers, the extra weight is good and not having to remove them for charging is a boon.

Cheers

Phil

reeds1.jpg

Hi phil, i have 330 watts on 10x6, and 400 watts on 11x8.5. i could prop it down a bit to 300 watts with smaller prop running 2200 3s lipo and 40watt esc , not going to go fast just want a little in reseve, do you think this would be ok, any tips on the cg as well. Dave.

David, I'm running mine (Flair version but not that different) with an 11x5.5 on 3s 2200. This takes 330W but the average for a 22min flight was at 58W. This was the first electric power flight, I did a few full throttle climbs & a few aero etc, if it had just been cruising around this would probably have been down to about 50W as Phil predicted.

My refurb blog with some pics & a Youtube link to the first flight are in this thread .

The cg shown in the Flair plan is 3" behind the LE but I've found it's not critical - mine is about 1.4" further back than that.

Thanks Pat, i think 300watts would be ok or i might just leave it at 330 watts and see how she flys,i think i will get my old instructor to maiden her, and see how it goes, realy looking forward to her first flight Dave.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just a update on the junior 60, not been flying for a couple of months so today i decided i would maiden her, about 6 people today at the field but know instructors around or any one who would maiden her, so it was up to me to do it, she went straight down the patch and up she went, i never flown a plane that has given me so much fun to fly, the rudder was very responsive and no trimming was needed, the elevator felt like it was doing nothing it just took the nose up and down a little no trimming needed but i could do with a bit more movement , i could not believe how slow it flys and with 300watts im never going to use it it was happy on 1/4 throttle, the rest off the boys all came over and said how good she looks in the air, looks like they were realy intrested and commented about her, looks like i got some brownie point with the old timers which was a very nice compliment , 15 mins flight time on 3s 2200 im happy with that, never built from a plan before so its all been worth it in the end but just took to long to build, and big thank you for all the help and tips i got .Dave

Well done on the maiden Dave thumbs up

Re the elevators : they don't need a lot of movement. I'm not sure what size the elevators of BB Jnr 60 are but the on Flair version they are 1.5" chord. My Jnr is trimmed with 3/16" permanent down elevator. The movement is 5/16" up & down around that point. This is enough for loops, rolls & inverted for as long as I can hold the wings level. wink 2

Rather than increase the elevator movement I suggest you try moving the CG back in 1/4" increments in order to make them more sensitive & improve the glide. You should be able to safely move the CG back by at least 3/4" without the model becoming uncomfortable to fly, mine has it around 1.5" further back than shown on the plan.

HI Pat, thanks for the tip the cg was a long way and i had to put just over a 1 lb up front of lead, from previous advise its safe to push the cg back to the main spar or even more, she does glide very straight and level at the moment, and all up weight is about 4.7 lb bit on the heavy side, i have the servo on the maximum travel and only has about 1/4 inch travel on the elevator , could i put a larger servo arm or a bigger clevis on the elevator to get more movement before i change the cg .Dave.

>>could i put a larger servo arm or a bigger clevis on the elevator to get more movement

a smaller horn on the elevator will give you more movement Dave, or moving the clevis in towards the hinge line. You should have plenty of throw with a normal servo arm. Check your 'rates' switch and 'end point adjust' (EPA) on the elevator channel if the elevator servo doesnt appear to move enough.

A forward CG will make the elevator sluggish. Cant remember where mine balanced but it had a C3542 motor and 3x A123 cells up front with no lead at all. A full pound of lead is an awful lot!

Cheers

Phil

Dave the plan has the CG on the mainspar but mine is about 1.5" behind that.

As Phil says the elevators will be sluggish with a forward CG. I wouldn't bother altering the amount of throw. Try removing some of the lead, incrementaly moving the CG back but adjusting with some down trim if necessary as you go.

Here's mine on it's first electric flight, it weighs 3lb 13oz & on 330W I think it's overpowered.

Edited By PatMc on 08/07/2013 10:49:00

• 2 months later...

I have two Junior 60s. One is powered. by an OS 20 FS which will allow it to take off from grass comfortably. I have seen more powerful engines recommended but feel they are not really necessary. The second is electric with a Tornado motor and is a real rocket on full power, and 8.4volts. The power pack is mounted upright at the front of the cabin and just squeezes in. This keeps the Cof G OK without ballast. I have been flying the OS powered model since the first engines were released- a long time ago I guess. Have lost count of the number of flights.