HK E-Fair 60" thermaller.

Well, my HK E-Fair arrived this morning, and now it's ready for flight!

I'd say the kit represents exceptional value for money - only £30 here in the UK.

I replaced the pushrods with thinner piano wire, which meant that the holes in the supplied control horns were a little large, so I cut my own horns from 1/32 ply. I moved the servo location forwards as far as possible under the wing (lengthening the snake outers to suit) and fitted Zebra mini servos in front of the Spekky AR600 rx.

I did have to ream out the inside of the nose so the motor would fit in properly.

The canopy couild be a better fit admittedly, and I also reinforced the fin joint with a couple of dowel pegs that pass through the tailplane and into the fuselage.

The wings are joined with an aluminium joiner, so I've left them as separate panels for storage/transport.

Up front I fitted an old Mega 1516/6 inrunner, a 20A ESC and a 3S 1800 pack, driving an 8x4.5 folder.

Measured power draw is 208 watts for an AUW of 1lb 6.5oz, so there should be no problem with the climb outs.

I'll post back here once the wind/rain stops lashing the landscape, and I get the chance to fly the model....

tim

img_1742.jpg

img_1743.jpg

img_1745.jpg

img_1746.jpg

img_1747.jpg

img_1748.jpg

Advert

fb3,

I took the easy way out with the canopy. I've cut a little slot at the front edge which engages under the head of a screw which is embedded into the top of the noseblock, whilst the rear end is secured by a scrap of velcro to the top of the wng mount (F2?)

I gather that the kit is actually quite dated, although the HK variant isn't equipped with a motor, but does show a brushless unit in the instructions.

tim

Nice photos Tim . Our group has several of these and one of mine has been stretched to 2.5 m so a hint of lift and it's away .Over an hour aloft can be had from a 1.5A lipo. The standard model copes well with wind that may be to much for some , it gets a thumbs up from me ,a good performance at a very low cost . As for the canopy like you I added a pin at the front ,but used a magnet for the rear fix .

My stretched version.and then another one stetched to 4m .

Tom,

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 29/12/2012 20:35:17

Today was the day! A bit overcast, and with a gentle breeze, it's true, but you can't have everything.....

Half throttle, and a gentle push forwards saw the model climbing steadily away without any issues at all.

Closinng the throttle, and the model settles in a nice straight glide. Sure, it's no competition model, but that's to be expected.

In short;

It climbs at 45° under full power.

It glides remarkable well, and penetrates the breeze easily.

Orientation is very easy.

It's going to be a great model for a thermic day.

It's a bargain!

tim

PS. I'm rather taken with the idea of an additional centre wing panel.......

Tim.

The wing section seems to be well considered with a pretty good L/D .Keep an eye on the former in front of the wing centre section L/E ,it could do with beefing up . If you did not bond the two wing panels then it's just a matter of making an extra joiner and a centre section ,ideal for those warm calm days that we used to get before climate change .

My 4m version often keeps up against an AVA (in low winds) and cost many hundreds of pounds less so in original form ,or messed about with ,the E-Fair Cherub is indeed a bargain. I still have three,and one in the box! smile. Did consider a biplane version ?......dont ask!

FB3.

At least the glue has had plenty of time set lol . Hopefully we might get some good early spring weather .Last year we got some terrific thermals in March!

Tom.

Tom,

How did you add the centre section, just copied the profile at the centre join and then added more formers etc?

I've just ordered a replacment for the one i sold 2 years after (after it had given years of great service), you're reports spured me onto buy another.

I have the wing left over from a Great Planes fling DL glider, which may have a similar wing profile. I'll see when the EFlair arrives; i'm thinking of using a chopped down Fling wing to create a seperate centre section, 3 peice wing????

Chris

Hi Chris.

The additional centre wing panel has the same section and thickness as the original wing roots. The centre panel is of course subjected to higher bending and torsional loads so beefing up,depending on the the amount of added span, would be required without adding unnecessary weight.

For larger centre section spans it may be advisable to incorporate dihedral so the compleat wing has polyhedral. An overall span of 2.5m results in a fair weather floater ,but I did add some length to the fus rear ,and use he same tail and rudder. Keeping the AUW low is important otherwise the load limits on the original wing panels may be exceeded.

Tom.

Tom,

I think I'm going to make a new centre-section using a spar of vertically-grained balsa, capped top and bottom with 2mm carbon-fibre rod. It's a method I've used before and seesm to work well.

I'll add a lirrle more dihedral at the tip joints by making new ali joiners to suit.

tim

Tim.

A very modern approach , strangely enough I have been busy this evening working on some Auto gyro blades with CF added to the LE and TE. The weight penally is very low against the great increase in strength and durability.

While on the subject of relatively modern materials I found that glass fibre sheet was a good material for making the joiner boxes, and it loves cyno , which speeds up the build and makes a light and compact load carrying structure .

There must be hundreds of Cherub owners in the UK and the model has a certain charm that combines a vintage and modern approach to looks and construction ,so I recon a Tim Hooper stretch wing build blog would go down well . smile.

Tom.

Just a couple of pics of the new centre-section.

As threatened, the CS features a spar made from 2.5mm carbon rods, separated with a web of balsa. To stop the spar ripping apart through the stresses imposed by the ali joiners, I've faced it on both sides with 1/32 ply.

It seems a good plan to make a new pair of ali joiners (at the bottom of the pic), with their inner ends tapered to fit into the matching pockets within the spar. The idea is that the joineres can be used two ways - either straight out (to provide a totally 'flat' joint with no added dihedral), or flipped over to provide additional dihedral at the joint.

The rest of the CS is just simple balsa.

img_1953.jpg

Some more progress today with the upper surface sheeted as necessary. I've also tacked the airbrake itself in place, so it can be sanded flush.

The 9g servo won't fit within the aerofoil, so will be fitted below the lower skin, and will hang inside the fuselage. There is room above the existing rudder & elevator servos to accomodate it.

img_1954.jpg

I'll be interested to read your report on the effectiveness of the airbrake and wether the turbulent airflow generated by it, when fully deployed, has any adverse effects on the rudder and elevator controls.

AFAIK when twin airbrakes are installed in each wing half it is normal to ensure that they and the corresponding turbulent airflow is well outside the span of the tailplane to eliminate any adverse control problems.

Just something to think about maybe.

Just my 2p's worth.

GONZO,

Thanks for the input! To be fair, I'm expecting a fairly severe pitch-down when I activate the airbrake, but i'm hoping to mix in some up elevator as a counter measure. We'll see if it's successful, eh?

What I'm after is just a simple way to get the model safely back onto the strip, without having it float past at knee height and then have it sail on into the distance.....

tim

Hi all.

I bought my Cherub/E-fair from Overlander at the 2011 Weston Park show.....what a great little model.

What annoyed me at the time though, was that Overlander removed the motors from the kits they had....saying it wasn't supplied with one (when the box said otherwise !!!). Best of all when challenged about it....I was told I could buy a "brushed" motor for it from them, for £6 !.

Anyway.....mine is fitted with a 235w Thumper v2, controlled by a Hobbywing 18A ESC and powered by a Loong Max 1300mAh, 3s pack.

That battery gives me about 12 climbs to almost out of sight !!.

As well as being a good soarer, it's mildly aerobatic too......I often roll, loop and stall turn mine, as well as fly it inverted !!!.

Hello, Mr S and welcome to the forum!

I'm intrigued that the E-Fair will perform a few aerobatics, to say the least!

Anyway, t'is done! The extra centre-section adds 3.5oz to the AUW, but there's an additional 160"² of wing area to cope.

img_1955.jpg

I've used dowels and elastic bands on the LE and TE to retain the outer panels.

img_1956.jpg

Here's the brake in the 'up' position. I've mixed in a bit of up elevator to counteract any down pitch.

img_1958.jpg

May as well leave the centre-section attached to the fuselage for the time being. Mind you, given the current weather forecast (snow), I doubt whether she'll fly again for some time!

img_1959.jpg

Hi Tim .

A great job thumbs upshe now looks like a serious thermal snifter . Your opinion of the effect of shorter coupling, and central brake , will be interesting, Fingers crossed for some warm calm spring weather , in the mean time just imagine what a sailplane to those specs would cost, against the total cost of your model.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 17/01/2013 22:12:34

Thanks Tom,

Well I never would have thought that I'd ever be flying a thermal-sniffing glider in a snow storm. Until today, that is......

So a quick few circuits around the strip (peering through the falling snow) has proved that the airbrake will cause the model to descend at a rapid rate, so I've increased the amount of 'up' that's mixed in, and just because I can, invoked the 'servo slow' function on the Tx, so it's not all happening too suddenly.

A few more circuits to test, and I think we have it sussed now.

tim

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Tim Hooper on 17/01/2013 21:42:39:

"Hello, Mr S and welcome to the forum!

I'm intrigued that the E-Fair will perform a few aerobatics, to say the least !."

Hi Tim.

Just to put everyone straight......the Cherub/E-Fair is made by Lanyu in China, but supplied by numerous suppliers.

Mine has been totally re-covered, after a minor crash......but flies just as well after repairs.

Gear wise, she has 2 x HS-65HB servos, FrSky V8FR-HV Rx, Hobbywing 18A ESC, and Overlander Thumper v2 T2826 (235w/1200Kv) motor throwing a 7x6e carbon folding prop. Power comes from a 3s, 1300mAh Loong Max Lipo..........which gives around 12 good climbs to almost out of sight !!.

As for the aerobatics, she'll do what I said she will.......providing she's not over-stressed !!.

As a soarer, I had some of my best flights of 2012 with mine.....one flight alone was 1hr 46mins long !.

Long may she reign !!.

Edited By Mr Spitfire on 08/02/2013 13:54:11

Posted by I_AM_MARKEVANS on 08/02/2013 10:04:22:

Gonna build it as pure glider and put a servo operated release hook in the nose and tow it on my mates wot 4 foam-e cool might bungee launch it too.

It's truly a bargain!

Good luck with the aerotowing, but i'd wonder about the wing joiner holding up under the stress of the bungee launch. But I could be wrong.....

tim