A frustrating technical issue on the computer with the flight simulator.

John Shepherd 1

Hi to Gordon & Rusty. Thank you for putting me straight on the Aileron issue.

Rusty,there are only two options for a camera, they are Fixed & Chasing. The fixed camera does not put me in the cockpit nor does it have me anywhere in relation to the body of the aircraft,it is like controlling from the exterior even more-so than with a chasing camera.

My understanding of a Flight Simulator is that one is sat in a virtual cockpit and looking out of the aircraft as one would be in a car.

I am working my way through the options on the FMS at the top of the page/landscape that forms the overall image. There is a great deal to take on-board and deal with,this is in between disasters.

I think that some early and judicious note taking might be prudent rather than risking blowing the fuses in my head!!

Am I correct in thinking that the forward action of of the elevator will lift the the aircraft by raising the tail flaps and visa-versa, and likewise with the Ailerons the left Aileron is lifted by a forward action and the aircraft will bank left and visa-versa.

It's NOT a flight simulator, it's a MODEL flight simulator. And if you stay away from Cockpit view it's similar to flying a real model by radio control.

If you push the RH stick forward, the plane should dive (down elevator).  If you push the RH stick to the left the plane should roll (bank) to the left.  If you push the LH stick forward you shold have more power.  If you push the LH stick left, the model should swivel (yaw) to the left, and turn left if it's taxi-ing on the ground.  This is the usual way of using the controls, called Mode 2.  There are alternatives.

Edited By John Cole on 07/01/2013 19:38:25

Posted by John Cole on 07/01/2013 17:51:30:

I'm glad you have it working. I find Switzerland is the easiest Landscape to use. What models are available? A Spitfire is not the one to learn on: too difficult.

Hi John. The model range is not all active and includes Helicopters,they are as follows.

Diamant.par A Glider.

Hughes.par A Helicopter.

Pitts.par A Bi Plane (single prop).

Su.26.par A low-wing (similar to the Spitfire but not a Warbird.

Three Dee.par A Helicopter.

Trasall.par A Twin Prop High Wing Cargo type plane.

My initial experience of the simulator is a very very Hairy One,I cannot imagine my first real attempt being anything other than a very very long way off.

Posted by John Cole on 07/01/2013 19:33:23:

It's NOT a flight simulator, it's a MODEL flight simulator. And if you stay away from Cockpit view it's similar to flying a real model by radio control.

If you push the RH stick forward, the plane should dive (down elevator). If you push the RH stick to the left the plane should roll (bank) to the left. If you push the LH stick forward you shold have more power. If you push the LH stick left, the model should swivel (yaw) to the left, and turn left if it's taxi-ing on the ground. This is the usual way of using the controls, called Mode 2. There are alternatives.

Edited By John Cole on 07/01/2013 19:38:25

Hi John. Yes it is mode 2 that the radio is set at. I take your point about the view variations, but there is no cockpit view, there are only the two and they are Fixed Camera & Chasing Camera.

I been playing around with taxiing and at various speeds to get some notion of the Rudder.

I have even had it up and flying level,albeit rather short-lived.

Well at least it is not the Model Spitfire,YET.

Hi John - sounds like you have made good progress!

Seems there is a bit of confusion over what the program is actually supposed to do for you. FMS stands for Flying MODEL Simulator, and as John C says, it simulates flying a radio controlled model, so the view you should be using is fom the ground looking up at the plane. Unless you were flying using FPV, (first person view -where you have a camera in your model), you cannot fly a model from the cockpit.

Of course if you are actually wanting to simulate flying a full size plane then there are other simulators around which are more suited and give you the instrumentation you mentioned, and I recommend Microsoft Flight which is free.

Posted by John Shepherd 1 on 07/01/2013 11:23:09:

I am intending joining a local club. The one at Blythe looks to be a good starting point,there is also one at Cramlington;both in Northumberland,I am in Ellington.

It's over 30 years since I lived in Whitley Bay, but you'll find several forum members here who are members of the Blyth club - probably several from the Cramlington club too. Have a word with Ken Anderson - you'll find him all over this forum. He's a Blyth club member (former chairman, I believe) and a good bloke - once you get used to his "jokes"! (Sorry, Ken! teeth 2) I'm sure he'd be able to help.

Other than that, as the others say, keep away from any "chase view" or "cockpit view" - they won't help at all. You need to get used to the orientation of the plane as you see it from the ground, and this is where the sim helps without risking real-life crashes!

Posted by Colin Bernard on 07/01/2013 20:25:05:

Hi John - sounds like you have made good progress!

Seems there is a bit of confusion over what the program is actually supposed to do for you. FMS stands for Flying MODEL Simulator, and as John C says, it simulates flying a radio controlled model, so the view you should be using is fom the ground looking up at the plane. Unless you were flying using FPV, (first person view -where you have a camera in your model), you cannot fly a model from the cockpit.

Of course if you are actually wanting to simulate flying a full size plane then there are other simulators around which are more suited and give you the instrumentation you mentioned, and I recommend Microsoft Flight which is free.

Hi Colin. I now have it clear in my head and will stick with the impression of flying the model from a ground position. My notion was that if I was behind the airplane I could have a better perspective of what the controls were actually doing.

Hi John P.. Well,I will look forward to making contact in person with the forum members that are at both Blythe & Cramlington clubs.

What I could do with is someone to make themselves known via the forum with some club details and time/times of meetings and an address for the club room & I will take it from there.

Edited By John Shepherd 1 on 08/01/2013 00:12:16

What you have are the standard models issues with alpha 8. None of them is good for starting to learn; they are all too difficult to fly. There are lots of websites with models that you can download.

FMS is quite a reasonable simulator, but many people complain that the models don't fly realistically. That's true but it's because the MODELS are badly written - inaccurate aerodynamics files. And the aerodynamics files have often been copied from another model.

Quite a good one to try is the HZ-Supercub 4 channel version, written by Gary Gunnerson. If you send me a Private Message with your Email address in it then I'll send you the files. All you do is to copy them into the FMS\Models folder and the next time you start FMS it will be there. My version includes a more-accurate aero file (which Gary now has).

Posted by John Cole on 08/01/2013 10:04:24:

What you have are the standard models issues with alpha 8. None of them is good for starting to learn; they are all too difficult to fly. There are lots of websites with models that you can download.

FMS is quite a reasonable simulator, but many people complain that the models don't fly realistically. That's true but it's because the MODELS are badly written - inaccurate aerodynamics files. And the aerodynamics files have often been copied from another model.

Quite a good one to try is the HZ-Supercub 4 channel version, written by Gary Gunnerson. If you send me a Private Message with your Email address in it then I'll send you the files. All you do is to copy them into the FMS\Models folder and the next time you start FMS it will be there. My version includes a more-accurate aero file (which Gary now has).

Hi John. Thank you for your reply and I will act upon your kind offer a little later today. Indeed I will do it after completing this post.

In your first paragraph your refer to the 'model',I assume that you mean a programme and for a specific model of actual flying model airplane.

Picking up on the file that you refer to,once it is installed into the Aircraft Models folder do I just call it up like changing from one airplane to another?

the thing that I was and still am puzzled about is the fact that the kit is for a Spitfire ( call sign JHH AD140) but there is no Sptfire in the model register/folder. The nearest is a low wing airplane that is ref SU.26.par. It is very similar to the Piper Cherokee Archer feature on page 40 of the January RCM&F magazine. It looks a delightful little model airplane

The thing about my launch into RC,it is based on a rather unexpected gift from my other half for Christmas.

Many years ago and whilst living in Canada she had taken Flying Lessons and gained a Pilots Licence but ran of of funds (a family started) for gaining her Night Flying qualification.

She learned in a 2aeater Cesna High Wing and also was able to land on water (Lake) with another.

I have sent you the 7 files and instructions by Email. There are 6 files that FMS interprets, covering sound and appearance, and how it flies.  The 7th is a readme.

Here's a link to a Spitfire, but I'm not sure if it's just the skin. Look for FMS models and then page down ntil you find it.

Edited By John Cole on 08/01/2013 16:12:07

Posted by John Cole on 08/01/2013 16:11:41:

I have sent you the 7 files and instructions by Email. There are 6 files that FMS interprets, covering sound and appearance, and how it flies. The 7th is a readme.

Here's a link to a Spitfire, but I'm not sure if it's just the skin. Look for FMS models and then page down ntil you find it.

Edited By John Cole on 08/01/2013 16:12:07

Hi John. Thank you very much for the E'mail and the contents therein. I have only just returned after being out for a few hours. I will get my head around the exercise of downloading and transferring after my evening meal (Brain Food).

I have looked briefly into the link above and yes it does look like a skin !! I assume that a skin is the term for a model without any power unit or servo units etc.

hello john and wellcome from me.....we have a club at blyth which i'm currently chairman of again.......check out our web site and come and have a look when the weather gets better......there are also clubs at cramlington,newcastle and others.....you'll get all the help and advice you need ......

ken anderson ne..1 ...... advice/wellcome dept....

here is a link to our club site......