A new ARTF design from Chris Foss

Michael Hickman

Advert

• 1 month later...
I have recently purchased a WOT trainer and came across a variety of problems, none of which are mentioned above so I'm guessing there is possibly a 'batch' problem. One of the issues I consider is a major problem if you are hoping to train in the 'trike mode'.   I am awaiting a reply from Ripmax as to how they intend to resolve the problem so I will not major on the problems encountered at this stage but should their response, which I hope to receive quickly (from 26/5/2008) be unsatisfactory I will post full details.

• 2 weeks later...
is by any chance that the push rod for the front wheel and the rudder dont line up . the wing bar to long , have to cut some of the ply away on the fuzz by the the wing bolts so the wing fit , and the fule tank cover can be a pain to get to fit . but say all that i think it great trannier very happy with mine .

Have flown mine now first two flights had really bad tail flutter when pulling out of loops. Took the tail off and sheeted with single ply on inderside. This also let me take the tail weights off. Now flys great. A bit of head wind on Sunday and it landed vertically with no problems.

I received replacement for my WOT trainer today. Ripmax do not have stock so this one purchased from Hobby Stores. Low and behold this one has the same problem as my previous one! Rudder and aileron servos transposed making it impossible to fit the nosewheel option. This time I looked at the possibilty of realigning the push rod for the nosewheel but decided to check the operation of the nosewheel in its original form and discovered that apart from the servo problem there is a major design fault with the nosewheel. The problem is that the push rod exit is only a few millimetres from the steering horn and when you operate the push rod (manually) the resistance is totally unacceptable since the turning action of the horn is trying to bend the short length of push rod. I do not believe any WOT trainer has been put together with the trike option. I am not confident with tail dragger operation and reluctantly will call it a day on the WOT

Hi Darren

Guess I should bite the bullet and and go for  tail dragger option but I found the take off procedure so different, it felt as if I was starting all over again! Did not find ground handling very good, I did fit a pivoting tail wheel but found weather cocking a problem on taxi run. I agree with you that the flying characteristics are good, the 'oldies' at my club were very impressed. Have you kept the split wing option?

Hi John

Yes i kept the the split wing . i only been on power 4 channel for about i month or so fly gliders before. i did my first takeoff monday  slowly opend her up wait for the tail to come up bit of up . up she went . The other reason i went for tail dragger so i did have to learn to take off again when i went to some thing else ie low wing  ect.

Hi

I've just joined the site, so this is my first post. Just coming from building and flying Heli's for 7yrs, this is my second aircraft trainer. An impulse buy .  After seeing it advertised in RCM&E , i saw one at Weston Park and bought it, seeing it was a Chris Foss design.

As above , mine came with the elevator/rudder crossed, - a very tight nose wheel movement, - the rudder/elevator guide glued to the frame,so none adjustable. - no indication which way around the motor mounts should be, - and wing joiner metal tube to be cut down.

Although my wings joined tight together in a good fit after the tube was cut down, and the tailplane and fin was a tight fit also.

I've built mine as a trike so there's a lot of internal control rod bending to accomodate the crossed linkage. Hope it'll fly as good as it looks.

Malcolm

I think your experience confirms my conclusion that none of the WOT trainers have been built correctly for trike operation. Be very careful re tight nosewheel operation, the current draw on the battery is higher due to the tension and any rudder operation while flying will increase battery drain. I think RIPMAX are hoping that purchasers will opt for the tail dragger option and 'go away' Initially RIPMAX agreed to credit my dealer but since informing them that the replacement was also faulty I have heard no more. Does any one know, are Hobby stores and Ripmax one and the same?

Happy flying!

John

Hi all,

I too bought a Foss Trainer, to try out new 2.4 set, and find the build quality extremely poor, especially regarding the pushrods, to the extent that I cut open the top of the fuselage,(which is balsa, the bottom sheet is ply), and replaced the pushrods and tubes with good old British SLEC snakes. Anyone doing this will need to cut away a portion of the rearmost former, (the one under the leading edge of the fin), but other than this it is an easy mod. and well worth doing. I also removed the existing fuel tank platform, widened the gap in the tank bay former, elongated downwards the hole for the tank neck, and was able to fit a 14 oz tank, for decent flight times with the .46 Jen at the front. Am now waiting for the persistent strong winds at our elevated flying site on the West coast of Scotland to abate slightly and permit the first flight.

Regards

Chris

Anyone with a WOT trainer had problem of COG? My previous one required no nose weights but on its replacement I have added the weight of 3 doubleAA batteries (temporary fix!) under the front of the engine, in addition to mounting the engine further forward. The removal of the tail wheel made no significant difference. Although I found it convenient to use the ally wing joiner to hang and string the model I'm wondering if this datum point for the COG is too far forward.

I think some of these RTF kits are great I taught myself to fly on a hobbyzone super cub. It is great and very forgiving. They are very strong and take a lot of bashing up. The nice thing about them is that they are easy to repair with glues and tape in the field if you have some mishaps. The biggest problem I have seen with people new to flying is that the inputs that they make are to seveer and they have not learnt the subtilty of movement on the stick. This in my opinion is where joining a club is good. The only down side to clubs is that some of the members at clubs talk in such tech terms that new people can be put off. If you are willing to teach people then adapt you talk suit. Take time to explain what all the controls do. this will help a lot.

I highly recommend the super cub to anyone who wants to start flying. ACT anti crash helps but it is not a certainty to prevent crashes. Check these planes out on youtube where there are loads of vids.

Good luck to all you newbies

Hi Eric

I am in no way saying that instructors are not good. At the end of the day they are volenteers and as such have offered there services and to help people get started. In effect you have become a teacher and as such they must treat it in that way by putting together a plan of how you are going to get somebody in the air. This must include going through the basics of flight , what the controls do and the subtilties of model flying. I agree they are volenteers but if you are not willing to give up flight time to teach future fliers don't volenteer, and if you do remember what it was like when you started.

I am in no way saying that all instructors are like that buy any lengthes. It is only my experience and that is all I can coment on. When I was wanting to learn I found a lot of modelers fairly difficult to get any information on what I should be looking for etc. It would have been great if they took the time to explain what I should have been looking for. It was almost as if it was a closed society and unless You are in you are out. It would have been nice to have had that sort of advice in the beginning.

Thank goodness for the internet where I found lots of info and made a choice on a plane which was great. Club life is great and fun sharing experiences, but make newbies welcome and take time to de tech your talk so they understand what you are on about.

I take my hat off to all those people who instruct as it is not easy but nor is learning to fly. 

Hi All

Having returned to flying recently I have been fortunate with an instructor who is willing to explain all aspects and has the patience to go with it. Using the buddy box system has been a saviour (in more ways than one) My experience has been one of friendly guys but remember that old 'British reserve' is sometimes taken as being unfriendly, you usually have to make the first move