PSS DH108 SWALLOW

Matt How

Cut off the surplus 12mm dowling and add 3mm end caps, this adds stiffness to the ends.

Drill and fitt the robart hinges so that the center of the hinge is on the center line of the dowel.

As I have to fit the servos and wiring before skinning the wings, the last two pictures show the tail fin where I have used the same technique shows the effect created.

hinge designe (29) (medium).jpg

hinge designe (2) (medium).jpg

hinge designe (1) (medium).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have not quite got the mixing of pics and paragraphs yet

The underside shot shows the servo activated doors and 15mm plastic grab handle for launching, also usefull for transfering wires aft to nose.

The port side fairing structure I have built 3 times to get if right, the first was not square, I then remade it unfortunatley glued it together as a Starbord side before noticing I should have handed it, this is the third attempt ay least I am getting the teqnique down to fine art.

the canopy and cockpit are done along with the tail fin also so will not be long now.

Edited By Bob How on 14/03/2013 15:43:59

Little update, have finished the wing roots, which was trickey as had to fit the skins to the curved side of the fuzz.

Here is my simple solution to achieve a neat joint.

First make a simple scribing tool with scrap balsa.

Tape a sheet of 1.5mm basla parallel with the ribs.

Scribe a line on the sheet by running the tool along the side of the fuzz.

cut to the scribed line then slide the cut sheet into p[osition and glue simples.

The last pic is of a usefull tool it is simply a bag filled with small poly balls which takes the shape of anything you place on it, it keeps it stable and minimises surface damage to finished parts.

vw120 2 008 (small).jpg

vw120 2 006 (small).jpg

vw120 2 015 (small).jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi Matt,

Well I cant believe I last posted on this build log in March, where did the summer go?

Like all plans of mice and my wife other things got in the way also a couple of shows the LMA and the Nats, oh and I have built a junior 60 for an old friend a couple of mouldies a typhoon and a willow and a few repairs you know how it is.

Anyway the build has progressed and the wings are finished apart from fitting the servos and pushrods, all the wiring is done just a few jobs and the fuzz can be sealed and covered, then a test flight before finishing off with some detail.

I still have to calculate the CofG and add some nose weight

I will endevour to take some pictures and post in the next couple of days

Here are some pictures showing the swallow girl put together The wings and fin are covered once I have tested all the circuits I can finish skinning the fuzz and test the Cof G.

It is 2040mm wingspan (80"and the sweep is 900 at 45 degrees. Ihave left a scalpel on the port wing to give an idea of scale the underside shot shows the servo opperated doors with the grab/launching handle inside.

The opening under the nose is for balancing

mill hill 014 (medium).jpg

mill hill 015 (medium).jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys

need some help with the c of g. The original plan had the wing sweep at 40 degrees, the real plane had the sweep at 45. Now my question is will the c o g move further back with a higher sweep angle???

ideas pls coz were gonna test fly her this afternoon.

Kind regards matt the bob

• 2 weeks later...