PSS DH108 SWALLOW

Matt How

Posted by PatMc on 19/01/2013 11:09:36:

Only a small part of the nose cone was made from moulded wood, the rest of the aircraft was metal. Later Vampires & Venoms had fibreglass nose mouldings.

According to my information,the DH 108 used a Vampire fuselage,which was made from a ply/balsa/ply laminate,as used by DH to build the Mosquito.....................great model btw........Mal

Hi Pat Mac

I am absolutely certain that the front part of the Vampire (the one I sat in) was not aluminium. I distinctly could see it was silver painted over wood.

I have just looked at Aircraft of the Fighting Powers Vol 7 , P7 and scanned the text and drawing. Which distinctly writes about the fore part of the fuselage being a ply balsa sandwich ala Mosquito.

img001.jpg

img004.jpg

I think it was up to the B-B section.

Of course the Swallow may have used another production version of the Vampires body.

Here's the fuselage construction details for all three prototypes, scanned from Barrie Hygate's book.

dh 108 construction.jpg

I must admit that since I didn't want to side-track this thread too much I only glanced through the construction details & quoted the part that's highlighted in my previous post. The extent of the wood construction of the 3rd fuselage does seem to be a little vague especially as the drawings appear to show rivet lines (though they are possibly screws) on the forward fuselage.

In order to not to distract this thread any further from it's original topic I intend leaving any construction details discussion here. However for anyone interested in making PSS (or other) models of experimental British jets (1941 - 1986) I can recommend the book that I've refered to - ISBN 1854860100 but it ain't cheap from Amazon or AbeBooks.

I only think it may be significant to Bob. As it appears that information is now being gathered to finish in a scale manner.

From what I remember that the front areas were smooth, not apparently made from sheet aluminium alloy panels, that were riveted. I do not remember that I noticed screws or anything of that type. It is as if DH filled all the traces of any fasteners, what ever they were.

There must be some one you would have thought on this thread that either worked on them, or flew one.

Yet it was the finish that I remembered, not shiny, a rather dull aluminium/silver type paint.

The trouble is, the Swallow could have been finished differently, particularly as it was intended to squeeze the last bit of speed out of it.

Edited By Erfolg on 19/01/2013 15:07:29

Second wing now built, It was a bit easier after the first, set the leading edge and rear spar tips on blocks for the ribs made some blocks which I cut to length then assembled between the ribs on the carbon spars and tacked them then added the D box caps and secondary 1/8 spars to stiffen the rear of the ribs.

t

dh108 wing1.jpg