Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

I went to my first Nats, I think 1962 ish and flew mini c/l with my mate all day long in intense heat. The best thing about it was to watch Harry Brooks doing a demonstration of what was probably the first proportional radio seen in this country.

The loops were actually round. I was only 14 at the time and had a long wait to get something resembling this.

Home made of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter.

I built a Sig King Cobra about 15 years ago. Like all Sig kits it was quite basic but went together very well. You have to sheet the foam wings with the balsa supplied in the kit. Other than that its all very simple to put together.

They fly very well. Mine was quite fast with a Super Tiger 60 up front and an ED pipe. However it slowed down without any problems when landing. A nice model to play with but not an F3A type of plane. Its not as accurate as a Curare or other top retro planes of the day.

The model in the photo is the smaller 30 size plane not a King Cobra I think.

Nigel Armstrong.

Edited By Nigel Armstrong on 10/01/2015 02:23:05

Hello Nigel , and thank you for the information , it's nice to hear it from the Horses - Mouth . so to speak.

Yes, I was wondering if it was " pukka " F3A ( for its time) , No matter to me , I just like the Retro - Style , and it possibly being un - common on this side of the pond.

Neither do I have any experience of flying the older Retro;s , or indeed competition flying ( apart from A.H's inaugral Npod at Gainsbro' some years hence , which was fun) , a few DSM's . Joker etc. was about

Spring Chicken I ain't , Competition Standard - defo not, hoping to improve ? possibly . have fun trying ? Certainly.

Slowing down without a tip stall rather than ballistic landings will do fer me mister !

A very wise owdlad has recently reminded me that it's the Pilot that makes the difference .

As if I needed any reminding !

* It is actually a " King - Kobra " it's me that is unable to post pics properly .

I did come across a " Kobra " picture, which appears to be a 40 - size ? with a fully built - up wing , not foam . and was , as you say , Identical in appearance to the Larger " King"

I always defer to those with actual experience , and welcome their input .

Regards. Android

Edited By Peter Android on 10/01/2015 19:58:45

Posted by Sam Wragg on 24/01/2015 14:18:25:

I have waited long enough and decided it's time to unvail my latest aqusition which is a classic in its own right.

2015-01-12 20.29.45.jpg

2015-01-18 10.43.22.jpg

Capricorn International built by the man himself. The fuze is wooden costrution. In the near future I will be doing a building blog on her.

Sam

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Ahem, would you mind to draw a 3-views with dimensions ?

Thanks in advance.

Beppe

I bought this last year, ready to fly. Very well built & flies beautifully, although the "authentic" colour scheme makes it difficult to orientate either against the sun, or in dull weather. Still its the flying that counts. Powered more than adequately by an OS 46AX, good slow & landing characteristics, but still very aerobatic, as per the original. i added the tail braces..just afoible of mine!

kwikfli1.jpgkwikfli2.jpg

Percy no I don't think I'm being pedantic I've not given the full facts.

Capricorn International is the sister to the model on the cover of the magazines. The fuselages construction is simular to that of a boat. She's a work of art and bang true with no warps....... A true classic with provenance.

Here's a photo of another great find in which I have been trusted with by the previous owner.

img_0089.jpg

img_0088.jpg

All she requres is a good look over before she graces the sky again

Sam

Been following the thread with interest, and just wondered if any one could identify the muffler/silencer that Doug Spreng is using on his 1968 Twister with a Super Tiger 60? A minivox perhaps? Loud, I do know that much! In the process of building one of these early pattern ships.

img_20150126_195750.jpg

Veco & HB 61 motors had similar included as standard. They were rather loud.....I had an HB 61 in a Kingpin, around '78, but eventually thought to install the stopper provided with the motor.

I now have another HB 61, with that same silencer.....but should it be used now on a classic aero model I wonder......??

Another Twister being built....!