Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

As usual, yours is to command John. The model came with a damaged LE of the wing, close to the centre and a split fuselage (both sides) from rear of wing area to around 100mm in front of tailplane. Two formers, either side of the wing were damaged and John had decided to go fixed rather than the current retracting U/C. Pictured below is the result and John did allow me to have free range in re-designing his colour scheme!

img_1443.jpg

img_1444.jpg

img_1445.jpg

Hope everyone likes the result, I know John does!

Steve

Advert

I'm intrigued.

I love my scale ww1 & 2 stuff and that's my passion. However recently I've grown to like this sort of stuff. Comes from my phase of flying low wing trainers, the likes of Spacewalker, and Blackhorse Canter, and it's replacement should it go in - a Blackhorse Homerun complete with Laser 75 devil.

Of course they are not vintage as the models are on this thread, but they grew out of just that.

Duly subscribed and interested!

• 3 weeks later...

Well hello TM. Pleased to see you are on the way with your latest project. 10% is significantly more drag, (as Martin states), but also dependent on 'frontal areas' & of course AUW. If the CSA's are minimal I'd say you'll be ok with the K&B.....but it's a new development. A rare thing these days & great to see.

Hi Terry, I tried upsizing a 60 powered Dalotel by 10% which made it 2m. Under 5kg. It was designed for an OS 91FX which is pretty powerful but it struggled to even loop. You may remember its maiden at the innaugural freestyle do in 2000. I chucked it in the loft for a few years until I got a YS 110 which was squeezed in. Goes like stink now and is my favourite model by far although it is now just about falling appart due to use. Don`t know what a K&B 100 is like but it would need to turn a 15x8 smartish.

Martin Mc.

Due to our field's rather uneven grass surface I am intending to initially use a 3 bladed propeller...14"x9" Master, with which I am hoping for 8,500- 9,000 rpm, which should accord with the manufacturer's guidlines. This was I believe a relatively low revving engine, as opposed to the KB100 r/e duucted fan variant.

I have a Weston UK fixed length tuned pipe, and am using Eflite electric retracts.

Build progress photo attached:-

bare airframe

Don't models look so tasty when in balsa state. I never tired of looking at them, despite making a great many over the years. I guess that's the reason I never used GF models. Hope the master prop's work better these days than they did when they first arrived on the scene.

I never tried anything other than 2 blade prop's on the K&B. However, in optimized form the motor was capable of pulling my prototype LDIII at 2m & 10lb AUW around the '96 F3A schedule.

I certainly do recall your 'intro' onto the freestyle scene back then Martin. Wow, does time fly....

Hi Terry,

I came across a Newman LD60s kit over the weekend....... couldn't resist! What can i say? it just oozes quality, well designed & well engineered. Yes,I know it not pre-turnaround but a classic in its own right. Personally you cant beat the sense of achievement in building your own model and putting that bit of individuality into such model.... unlike todays current trend of F3a machines....... maybe that's why i lost interest.

Looking forward to building.

Sam

Hello Sam, wow, it's a long time since we shared space on an airfield!!! The Newman's did a great job on those kits, rather too good a job I suspect as the costs were high. Hence the reason they stopped trading. They have however, started another venture into the world of ARF's.

I'd forgotten they did the 60s & that's a very rare find you have there! Almost a shame to build it. Classic yup, but not classic enough for this 'Retro' scene unfortunately. What motor will you install? Please keep me informed of the build progress. Pic's would be great

Tis a shame that F3A has gone the way it has. Models or schedules do nothing for me now. But I guess that's the 'generation gap'......maybe disgust Best ask those who spectate! Certainly UK interest in F3A is at it's lowest ever I believe. Let's hope this retro venture makes it good.

Hi Terry I have just got hold of a Loaded Dice too but this one is up and running,the man told me it was a laser cut kit would this be true and if so which one would it be ? it has Webra 80 0n a pipe and air retracts and is in excellent condition,glassed fuselage and film covered wings and tail.

I met you in the 90's at a meeting designed for the novice pilot down in Swindon at the Flair site I think and have a couple of photo's but not sure how to load onto here.

I have just had a new knee so have not been able to do much this year but next year hope to get to some of the UKCAA events so I can fly my Bullitt and Phoenix 7 I know I cant fly the LD at these events but I always wanted an LD !

I look forward to your reply !

Yes its a shame F3a has gone the way it has but i suppose thats what they call progress.thinking

Still undecided what engine to use in LD60? I'm lucky (or astute enough) to have acquired 1 or 2 unwanted 60's some of them are in un-run condition. I will probably choose one of my Hannos to keep with the theme of that era. I will investigate whether to electrify but don't want to compromise the integrity of the airframe as LD will require battery access... Yes i will do a build blog of LD when i can fit her into my build schedule.

S

From what I've seen hanger 9, to date, you could actually take an LD along to fly, but obviously this venture is about retro stuff. Initially @ least, I suspect it'd be ok & I have seen later designs @ classic events of 2013. But you do also have classics to hand anyhow!

Easy to see laser cut kit evidence; just look into the fuz, see if there are any laser cut foam laminates & balsa. If it is the kit, the 80 will certainly get it going as it was designed/produced for lesser power units. Would be good to see a picture on here. I did have difficulty getting my pic's on @ first. I recall needing to go to 'albums' @ the top of the page.

Swindon....would that have been RAF Wroughton?

--------------------------------

If you still have Hanno's Sam, you are fortunate! They are very sought after now. As I mentioned above/herein, the kit version was produced for less power than the Hanno; but I guess you could run it on a long pipe. Would last forever thenangel

Whist on the subject of LD`s I am going to sneak a quick ad. here.

I bought a semi built one of 72" span from a clubmate but have not touched it. Finished in primer and with mech. gear plus servo. Feels quite weighty but then I build my own light. If anyone is interested I want £50 the lot (collected) and could post pics tomorrow.

Hmm, I did quite a few demo's/talks back then, so I simply can't recall that one Hanger 9. Blunsdon maybe the place to which you refer. I think Flair's locale @ the time. Good luck with the new knee & take it easy. My mother had same, was soon back to normal.

£50 for a 2m LD......disgust that's very cheap. Maybe sand off a good deal of primer....? Is it 2t or 4c Martin? ABS cowl?

Bought this Kwik Fl3 ready to fly from the BMFA site. Very well built but only just got round to flying it. Very, very stable and forgiving, due to the parallel chord thick wing. More than adequately powered by the modern O.S. 46.

Retains the aerobatic potential of the original, but the colour scheme (authentic based) not good on a dull day, (ask me how I found out).

How Phil Kraft stuck with these colours over his succession of wins I will never know. Perhaps the weather was allways brighter for him.

But to summarise.....great relaxing aerobat, suitable as first low winger and easily capable of performing to B cert levels, probably good intro to entry level competitions.

Kwik fli 3