Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

RC Universe has a couple of build threads for the KA, eg this one

I was tempted to build it clipped to make manhandling it easier but in the end I went with just converting it to a 2 piece wing. The 30" span tailplane still makes it awkward to carry upstairs to the 'hangar' but I built mine for it's style more than anything. An estate car with a long flatbed helps!

2013-09-29 10.43.38.jpgThis is a Radio Modeller design called the Fun 3, which I built in about 1980, when I was still at school. It originally had winglets, but they kept getting knocked off, so I removed them.
I last flew it in 1992... until today, when I got it back in the air again! Still using the original engine, a Meteor 40, Fleet radio and Skyleader SRC1 servos.

2013-09-29 11.22.26.jpg

Hi Terry

Don't need templates, a drawing will do. I then match up a NACA section taking into account max thickness position, % thickness etc. All done on PC for cutting on Step 4 CNC machine. Templates not required any more! Balsa covered, vacuum 'bagged' ( on a veneering table actually but same effect) come out at around 8oz per panel.

Regards

Steve

My merco 61 required another new rear bearing after todays flying. The whole motor appears to rust rather quickly compared to the OS competition motors I once ran. However, the performance remains good, surprisingly.

If the motor approves of the new bearing I'll be @ Retford along with templates & drawings for the panels Steve. Is there a website for Retford with maps perhaps?

If you have Sat Nav: Long 0:47'28" Lat 53:19'43"

From Retford follow the signs for North Leverton. After entering the village continue past the Royal Oak PH and on leaving Leverton over a small bridge. After half a mile you will see a farmhouse set back from the road with a small pond in front of it on the left. Another half mile further on the right you will see our field.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that event tested our Autumn weather for sure! We just had the afternoon available to fly, but it could easily have been worse. Now there's a winter of building for all. I suspect Steve will have rather too much building on the go.

The Retford site was brill & more new retro aero pilots & models to meet & see. The field was easy to find. Let's hope the wind turbine that threatens the site fails to materialise.

A great variety of motors @ this event; Webra long stroke, OS Hanno 61, OS RFP 61. All nice motors, but relatively recent in age.

It may be of interest to know that Al`s hobbies at the jet centre, Wolverton, has just acquired a huge amount of stuff from the estate of a deceased modeller. Lots of vintage engines including HP Bluehead and Mercos of all sorts. Most of these are unrun or BNIB. Lots of kits too, although I did not look very closely since I found a long sought after original 1/4 scale Precedent Stamp kit untouched and a Laser 100 BNIB to go with it. Only went in for a couple of bits of wood and a tube of glue!

The previous owner did not just buy one engine of a type but four or five at a time for some reason.

Martin Mc.

Nice pic, and oh, er, Pete also. I remember him well. Whatever happened to Mark Redsell? He just took the gold and disappeared forever.

Thanks for the pics of me Terry, I have some already but not all. Did I really look like that then?

Conversed a couple of days ago with the one and only David Hardaker. He still flies, and has his original Lightning.

The November issue of R/C Model Flyer cover says that there is an article on retro aerobatics but certainly not in my copy although a fellow club member says that he saw my Curare in it ????

Martin Mc

Hi Martin

Regarding Mark Redsell. Mark came to live in Baildon, West Yorkshire. (not far from me)

I last saw Mark on Baildon Moor, flying a slope soarer. I believe he also flew with the Keighley club.

Baildon Moor was where I started my r/c flying, albeit single channel. I even remember trying to test-glide my first multi model (APS Tauri) but discovered my legs wouldn't go fast enough ! It had 4 channels reeds (aileron and elevator) I soon discovered that not having a throttle was "not a good thing ". The learning curve was steep, or even vertical !!