Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

img_4182.jpgimg_4176.jpgimg_4172.jpgimg_4170.jpgimg_4124.jpgimg_4116.jpgimg_4094.jpgimg_4089.jpgHaving never posted before this thread has inspired me to share pictures of my Crescent Bullet. The set up is a 3548 motor turning an 11x7 prop with a 60 amp esc and 4s lipo. Weight is 4lb 12oz and the finish is glass cloth and epoxy.img_4088.jpg

Andrew, the hatch is cut out after the fuselage is shaped but forward planning is required as the decking needs to tack glued to the fuselage sides and triangular longerons so that the area in front and behind the canopy can be released easily. Hopefully the pictures will help as it's not easy to describe.

Been flying the Bullet this afternoon, flies beautifully with large manoeuvres and no lack of power but I think the CG can still go back a bit, currently 83mm.

img_4119.jpg

img_4122.jpg

img_4114.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps, I am a new subscriber to this forum. nor sure if i am replying to correct thread.

hoowever attached picture of my recently completed "Revenger" a Dick Russ design of 1979/80.Its now powered by an ASP 61, has E-flite electric retracts and flies very well.Although exhibits typical (I am given to understand) reluctance to rotate on take-off.

I am now looking for plans to suit a newly obtained ST X60 Blue head, rear exhaust,to be mounted upright. So such as EU-1A; XLT; Bootlegger; Deception;Escape etc. can anyone help with plans please????

Terry MooreRevenger

Thanks David, have added more photo's to my album, plus one of the STX60 recently aquired for which I am looking for a suitable airframe, plus a manifold.

The Revenger flies very well, but my mod to incorporate 1/3 span inboard flaps althoough it works nearly caught me out the first time they were deployed, even on a slow servo speed, the model went up like a rocket, have now mixed in down elevator and much more manageable.

Is this the correct thread, or should I be making my request elsewhere.

Terry

Well, my winter build schedule is drawing to a close, but I've still things to acquire & the model is as yet

upset II  2013 unflown /proven.....crook I'm far more accustomed to building my own design, far easier than building from a plan!

As may be evident from the picture I've changed a few things but tried to keep with the appearance Chris Olsen intended. After all, it was one of the prettiest & most competent models of the time. Merco 61, rebuilt, is up front.......hmmm......we'll see

Model weighs in @ 5.5 lb, so the Mero should manage it ok. Just hope the model is not too lightly built. All balsa construction, as per plan. Taildragger to save weight & I think it looks nicer (like the Orion & Mustfire)

merco 61...!

& this is Chris's World Champ's model........yes, the airplane!

Hello again Bob. Thank you for the compliment. I wish it were paint for that is my preferred finish by far! It is in fact all Solarfilm/trim , just to keep the weight down to give the Merco 61 a chance & in keeping with Chris's own finish which too, was all Film; but I recall it to be Monocote back then.

One of the best finishes I have seen on a model especially with Solarfilm.

I hope the Merco 61 works OK for you, I have one of Chris Olsen's Merco 61's but it appears to be worn out. As I have mentioned before Chris used a ball raced OS 46 with a tuned pipe on his last Uproar. The OS 46 has separate throttle and mixture controls worked by two separate servos. So if the Merco lets you down an OS would seem to be a good replacement!

Mike

Hello again Mike. Pleased you appreciate the job I've done on Chris's design. As for the merco 61, mentioned previously, I acquired this motor recently & it required a major overhaul. Bearings are cheap enough, but the biggest job was getting the crank to fit properly! It was way too tight as indeed are all Mercos I've come across. I also cleaned up the cylinder, removed ring & cleaned groove. Rings are available online, but I've not bought one, yet. I'd like to fit cap head screws throughout, but they are 1/8 bsw & hard to find. The Exhaust screws are then 6ba....?? Strange stuff. If the motor proves inadequate in power with the super silencer I could try a torque pipe. If that fails it may well be a current 61/75 from which there are many to choose.

• 3 months later...

Evenin' All!

This is well out of my usual comfort zone, so bear with me, OK?

Today at the filed I was gifted this rather lovely Antares II (or so it says on the wing). I have no idea of its designer or flight envelope, but I figured that someone here might know a thing or two about the design.

The model is covered in brown tissue, but is nicely built. Seems to have minimal wear and tear too. All the lonkages are in place, and there's a recess for a single aileron servo in the centre of the wing.

Heretically, I'm planning to fit an outrunner and 4S cell pack in there. Other than that she's going to stay as she is.

If anyone could supply a bit of history for this model, then I'd be very grateful!

tim

Wow, been a very long time since I last saw one of these! Back in the mid 70's when I was learning my first low wing stuff a friend was flying one of these powered with an HP40. Went very well indeed & in fact, inspired me to build one for myself. It's a Radio Modeller plan I recall, maybe still available too.

If poss, fit 2 smaller aileron servos, outboard, as we do these days.

Thanks Terry!

I've been working on the Antares, and discovered that the servo mounts are designed for linear servos. Remember them?

Anyway I'm staying with a central servo for the ailerons for the time being to avoid cutting holes in the wing skins.

The motor is installed, as are a steerable noseleg. All the servos are in place, and the bendy dowel/wire pushrods replaced with CF tube to wiggle the tail surfaces.

I ran the motor up this morning, using an 11 x 5.5 prop and recorded over 1000 watts, so I'll probably switch to a shallower pitch.

There's certainly plenty of grunt in this 4 1/4lb model. Looks promising!

tim

Posted by Martyn K on 05/09/2013 17:06:15:

Hi Tim

Is it covered in Wrapping Paper then varnished? Looks like it could do with a canopy as well to clean it up a bit. I'd like to see that fly. More photos appreciated

Martyn

Looks like brown tissue to me, although it was probably touted as 'bronze' or 'sepia'.....wink 2

Well, yesterday saw the maiden flight, and I have to report that the Antares is brilliant! Whoever built this model did a super job - no trim adjustments of any kind needed.

Lovely round loops and bunts, smooooth rolls - lovely!

The small rudder means that sustained knife edge isn't on the agenda, and stall turns take a squirt of throttle to get the nose pointing downwards, but who cares?

No canopy for this old girl - I'm keeping her just as she is.

timsmile d

• 2 weeks later...

It's a very Autumnal day here & I thought I'd check out the plans Bob loaned me. The Altair is the biggest plan I think I've ever encountered! Bob mentioned that the plan suggest several wingspans, stab options with a totally different fin/rudder design. This providing quite a number of variations from which to choose depending on power & preference.

Altair had that distinctive swept rudder & indeed it is drawn on the plan. However, the 'comp' version is quite different, less sweep more rudder area & would obviously provide more effective yaw control. If I were to produce any version I suspect I would go for the smaller wing+stab & new style rudder. This would make the design almost 'square' @ 70"

Also I suggest reducing downthrust from 3 degrees to 1/2 but placing 1/2 degree of wing incidence. Tailwheel config would reduce AUW.

How's the Retford event looking....?