Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

Hello again Mike, an interesting story indeed. A great shame we lose names such as these. Am I correct; Chris was our only R/C Aerobatic World Champ? Was it 1960?

Your Upset wing appears to have more sweepback, rather like Altair design. I do hope you'll finish this model. Will it be in the deep Yellow of the original?

The Hi wing has a plug-in stab then? Did Chris build this also? Did he install the wing servos outboard?

Terry,

Chris was the world RC champ in 1958 with his original Uproar. I think this was confirmed in the BMFA magazine last year. I have a scan somewhere of the article.

Chris built all the wings etc in the latter photographs. The two Uproar wings were built by Chris with outboard servos but I will have to look again at the Upset 2 wings to see what Chris had in mind for the servos.

As for using a Merco 61 engine in your Upset 2, in the Uproar he had last built Chris had/has an OS 46 with a tuned pipe and separate mixture and throttle controls. The OS gives plenty enough power and the tuned pipe makes the engine very quiet at high level.

Mike

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 08/04/2013 00:12:41

Some interesting pictures there Mike. I presume the latter outboard servo installations were done much more recently. Bellcranks were never very efficient fro R/C aeros.

I'd love to use an OS engine, would be a much better bet for reliable performance I'm certain. But the Merco is period & I just want to give it a try. If I get desperate I know I could fit a tuned muffler.

Did you find that article on R/C world champs?

Posted by Martyn K on 12/03/2013 10:01:37:

Happy memories. I used to work with Clive Weller when I was an apprentice engineer at British Airways. Is he still around?

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 12/03/2013 10:01:49

He was last year when he sold me an airframe, I popped across to pick it up from his house. Great fella, we had a good natter. Retired of course but he was still flying models.

Terry,

I have been away for a couple of days on a trout fishing competition at Grafham Water.

As for the article on RC world championships,I cannot remember where it came from,but certainly I was given the 1996 RCM&E magazine by a flying club member who found the magazine in his loft and was amazed to discover that he had flown the Uproar featured.

The 1996 updated Uproar re-design by CO included outboard servos.

I got two Merco engines from CO's collection,an as new 49 which I have fitted in a KK Falcon and a clapped out 61 which is boxed and has CO'S address in Richmond written inside the box. Both engines have the first sections of tuned pipes that fit directly to the crank-cases.

Mike

An Angling enthusiast I see! Done a lot of that myself Mike, but no fly fishing nor anything competitive. How'd you do? Grafham Water's a nice place to be anyhow.

I've no mag's before 1960, so I've no info for those times. Be nice to know which year Chris made number 1 in World aeros.

Sounds like the manifolds were made specifically for the Merco. Any idea which pipe he may have used with that motor?

My Upset II '2013' is ready in airframe,just gotta think up a colour scheme. CO's yellow example that made RCM&E front cover in April '68 looked rather nice,but I've never been a fan of that as base colour.

Terry,

it was very cold on Grafham water last Thursday. One forecast suggested the wind would blow South Westerly but it remained North Easterly all day and the sun just squinted through as our fishing ended. It was not a serious competition you were limited to eight fish and there were prizes for the biggest fish caught,the heaviest catch etc. I was paired with a former school PE teacher now 74 who coaches fly fishing and has written books on Grafham water. He also has done mountaineering and has been a top competition dingy sailor. I don't think he was too impressed with my ancient fishing tackle which is just as old as some of my RC planes---30 years plus. I did catch four fish weighing 91/2 lbs total and lost four others. They do fight very hard at Grafham water. My boat colleague caught seven plus three or four he returned to the water and lost about seven. One chap caught twenty five and hence had to return seventeen! I sat next to my boat colleague's mates in the pub after the fishing contest. One had been an RC modeller and another had a pilot's licence.They told me about wonderful trips to the Caribbean where they had been 'Bone fishing'!

I will have a look at the Merco tuned pipe sections and somewhere I have some photos, but I would not be surprised if Just Engines' could help out? i will also look out for the 1958 article which outlines CO's world championship win.

Mike

Bet there was a fair ripple on that water Mike! I don't have time to go fishing these days, maybe in the future for me. I do have some gear left, but would need to acquire lots more if I were to start up again.

Some of my models are 30 years old too! Some need to be finished even.

Are you going to run the 49?

I am not able to read The article on CO, hasn't copied well. According to the bmfa The only UK Gold medal in R/C aeros was in 1960 it would seem. Could that have been CO?

Terry,

There was a fair ripple on Grafham Water so all the boats travelled to the North Eastern corner to keep out of the wind which I have known to be far worse. Also the fish seemed to have congregated in the North Eastern corner where they appear to have been for several months. Last year we caught fish in the South West corner but nobody has fished there so far this season due to the almost constant North East winds that have also been screwing up the weather and of course model flying.

I have used the Merco 49 in a Keil Kraft Falcon but to date although it starts easily, it keeps cutting out despite adjustments made by of a number of club members and the changing of glow-plugs etc. It may of course improve once the engine is properly run-in.

I have not flown the Uproar very often and have been waiting for my flying to improve, but due to lack of practise my flying skills seem to have got worse!

KK Falcon

Mike

This weather has not provided us with the best start to any flying or fishing season Mike! I suspect many of us are way out of practise @ present!

That was not the Falcon I was thinking of. This example looks very 'vintage' & one I don't remember. I'd anticiapted the US kit, shoulder wing. They did Falcon & Falcon 56. I always wanted one when I first started, but they were rather expensive.

Wow Martyn.................

CG Falcon 56 (Mk2 an' all!)yes

T'was my first rc model, still have a soft spot for that one. Was absolutely viceless and a great trainer, even at the 5000ft altitudes (AND 25-30deg C) in SA. Had it for several years & sold on to finance my second/third model.

They don't make them like that any more...............sad

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 18/03/2013 11:01:42:
Posted by terry westrop on 16/03/2013 20:41:48:

Well Andrew, I've no idea if RCM&E would want the design, however, I must build & prove it first. That'll take a bit more time yet. Canopies may be available if we can locate the masters within Punctilio Mouldings, get them to cast a few.

I think you can be certain we would Terry,smile thumbs up

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 18/03/2013 11:02:19

Well, I've been a little busy of late making good use of my 20 year old balsa stock. Not only is there a repro of Chris Olsen's 1968 Upset II almost ready, but a completely new design.....LD30EP

It's 45" span & 47" length. Aeolian Outrunner Brushless C3542 KV1250 Evolution. 12x6 prop

Any guesses what this might be........

That was rapid Andrew! As the doctor ordered, the latest LD. It's designed to be capable of both precision aeros & 3D. I'll post details of AUW when the model is finished. But it is very light & far more durable than the material generally used in ARTF types I've encountered. So in producing this little addition I have proved it can be done.

The canopy was cut down from an old Loaded dice 40 I had left over. As mentioned previously, I hope that Punctilio mouldings will produce more from their masters if demand materialises.

I've taken all the usual construction pictures should they be needed in the future.

Edited By terry westrop on 05/05/2013 22:51:51