Hello and a request for some advice.

Stevie Starr

Hello, I'm about to take up R/C flying, I'm going to buy the Aurora 9, 7 channel, as I read it's well future proofed. I've read good things about the Hobbyzone Super Cub and I was wondering if there was anything similar that comes in the artf format that is suitable for someone learning to fly alone. I'd be interested in a kit that only requires me to supply my radio gear and maybe servos and stuff. Does such a thing exist? If not what would be my next best route? I wouldn't have the time to spend on doing much building.

Thanks in advance.

Advert

Hello Stevie and welcome to the forum.

Aurora 9 will be a good choice, especially now, with the price drop. Radio is the most important part of any kit, Aurora will last You for years. I use Optiic 6 and there is no way that I use all of its features.

HZ Super cub will be ok, but You can look for something like PZ Radian, Dynam Sky Hawk, Multiplex FunCub... there are many options and I'd suggest to have a good read here on the forum - You'll find any info that You need.

Soft landings!

Tom

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum, your in the right place for good advice. I'm sure there are lots of better informed people on here than me but just a quick question, is the Aurora 9,7 on 72mhz? because I don't believe thats an aircraft frequency unless your able to use it on 2.4 g

As for the first aircraft, well there are lots of ARTF trainers but if you MUST fly for the first time without any instruction from people at a club then I suggest you try some sort of simulator at least.

There are so many things that a newbie can think are good only to find out that they werent quite as good as first thought after speaking to someone who has already made all the mistakes.

Its a great hobby but it only takes a couple of crashes to put people off. Have a go on a sim, go to the nearest club and have a chat with like minded people, have a couple of lessons, (covered by insurance) and then if need be you are at least a little prepared for that first solo flight.

Good luck... it really is a great hobby, don tget put off.... UMM

Hi UMM, the frequency is 2.4GHZ. I was going for that one as it has great reviews and it's available for £200 delivered. I don't know if I am allowed to post links, if not, then I apologise. http://www.tjdmodels.com/aurora-9-24ghz-afhss-combo-7ch-rx-nimh-m2-p-3783.html?cPath=16_46 I'm already liking the look of the Multiplex Easy Star 2, but I'm like a kid in a sweety shop right now. Whilst I've never did radio control aircraft, I did a fair bit of free flight back in the 70's, so I'm used to the sorrows of things not quite turning out as planned....

I'm not sure if there's an RC flying club where I live, (Dunfermline,) so I'm going to be busy doing some digging around.

Thanks

Stevie

Edited By Stevie Starr on 23/01/2013 21:05:46

Hi Stevie, welcome to the forum. I agree with UMM about making contact with your nearest club , i would hate to think that you went out and crashed your new model on its first outing and then gave up before you had a fair chance. You will find most club flyers very welcoming and only too willing to help a potential new member get into the air . Dont be worried about feeling a little lost because we all had to start somewhere and we continue to learn even after many years in the hobby.

All the best .........

Edited By Les Littleton on 23/01/2013 20:57:52

As the person, who made most (or allwink) I can tell You one thing - don't buy any aircraft, which just looks fascinating to You. I did that mistake, and so my Cessna is gone, little Spit eaten by cat, Piper never flew (although it wasn't my fault, plane itself was junk, but then - should know what to buy/avoid)... At first, try some trainer and yes, try and find local to You club -it'd save me a lot of cash if I did.

If in any doubt, ask on the forum - a lot of helpful people with great knowledge You can find here.

If You wish to go alone, again as self-learner - it is perfectly possible. Choose Your model wisely, read, read, read and have a gowink. It works.

Regards
Tom

Three simple pieces of advice

1/ Go to your local club(s) to check out how friendly/ welcoming they are

2/ Go to your local club and aks them to recommend a suitable trainer

3/ Go to your local club and ask them to help you to learn to fly

Learning to fly alone is asking for trouble...get insured and join the BMFA

Hi Steve & welcome from me......we were all beginners once so ask away & enjoy this great hobby....

Some good articles to read through here & some tutorials on how to get the best out of the site just here

The Aurora 9 is a great bit of kit but RC sets are very subjective & I would urge you to try before you buy.....just to see how it feels in your hands. I would also recommend visiting your local club a few times before flexing the credit card......they will be able to offer invaluable advise....

Well, the Aurora 9 arrived today. (Excellent service form TJD Models.) I opened the tome that passes for a manual and nearly fainted.... "It's full of stars" was my first thought. disgust

I'm getting the hang of it now though, I've got the battery charging on both the TX and RX, the rest should be a dawdle.....

Decided to go for the Bixler 2 against the Easy Star 2, simply because I will kill it very quickly and the RR Bixler with this eqpt :-

1x #9310000060/29053 Hobbyking Bixler 2 EPO 1500mm w/ Brushless Motor, Servos and Optional Flap (UK Warehouse) (ARF) = $82.57
1x #HKESC20A/28672 H-KING 20A Fixed Wing Brushless Speed Controller (UK Warehouse) = $9.07
1x #T2200.3S.25/26715 Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack (UK Warehouse) = $12.76
2x #HKSCM12-5/28725 HKSCM12-5 Single Chip Digital Servo (5V) 10g / 1.5kg / 0.18s (UK Warehouse) = $7.12

Works out at £79 as opposed to the £124 of the Easy Star 2.

I've plumped for it, so I won't look back and get on with what I have.

It's already been dispatched after ordering last night, with a projected 3 day delivery service, I've had 4 emails since yesterday telling me exactly how my order is progressing, so Hobby King look to be on the ball.

Cheers

Stevie

Steve, regarding the cost of club membership - the BMFA you will need club or not for the insurance - so consider the club at just £50 - believe me its a bargain. That's not even the price of one model - and as Tom out lined above you will go through a lot more than one model if you try to teach yourself.

BEB

Hiya BEB, aye I get that. Way I read it, is that I would pay £50 for the club membership, then the extra £30 on top of that for BMFA. So that's still £80 before I even crash a plane, tough going tbh. Going to Kinross club tomorrow which is a 15 mile drive up the M90 from me, nice and easy

Will get a better handle on everything then.

stevie

Ok thanks for the advice. I'd appreciate it though if my thread isn't used as a vehicle purely for the pro's of joining a club. (I've already said I'm looking to join one.) I was more looking for advice on getting an aircraft into the sky and what stuff a new flyer would need to do that. I realise saying this will mark me down and prolly presona non grata, already I'm on the defensive on a new persons forum, but I'm honest if nothing else. Is there any way I can just discuss what planes and stuff I should get?

Steve,

You've got a good set up there for making it solo.

However. Even good choices for a first plane like the Bixler or EasyStar, are ballistic missiles. There are fatal accidents every year involving model planes (most of them from people going solo and which is reflected in the price of the insurance for all of us, so please forgive us for preaching).

That said it's bloody good fun and the Aurora is an awesome bit of kit.

Get stuck in.

Steve

Edited By Steven Buckingham on 27/01/2013 02:46:28

Hi Stevie, I'm brand new to this forum also. Welcome. The HZ Super Cub is OK but you'd probably be better with a Hobbyking AXN Floater. I've just got back into flying after a long break (40 years) so I bought a Floater to get my hand in and It's great. Remember only to fly on calm days to start with, wind is THE killer when you're learning. If you're trying to fly straight and the model is being bounced all over the sky ends in tears. The Floater is here **LINK** and costs about £50 all in. Great value flying fun and a good stable video platform. Have fun!!smiley

Tangey

PS I notice Scott Finnie of this forum is from your neck of the woods.

Hi Steve and Tangey, not all doom and gloom then. smiley

Steve, there's no way I was going to fly without insurance TBH, I was a golfer and recognise the need. I've already purchased the Bixler 2 Tangey, so I have to go with that.

Piddling down here today, but going to head up to Kinross if Bob's still going, as I'd like to get clued up on stuff like field etiqutte etc. Regards equipment, I now have/have ordered, the Bixler2 Aurora 9 7C. 3 x Turnigy 2200mha Lipos. 2 extra servos (For flaps on Bixler when I have the skills.) A Mega adapter for charging everything, an Orion Advantage IQ605 AC/DC Charger and 2 rolls of glass fibre tape for under the nose and the leading edges of the Bixler, as those crashes will surely hurt. frown Will order an Eflite Prop adapter too when they are in stock, as I read that the supplied one stinks.

Any other "must haves" you folks can suggest?

Stevie.

(Is Scott a member of a club up here Tangey?