engine care

keith ellis 2

hi.

am just restarting my flying after a few years lay up.

now what is the best course of action to get them ready again for use.

i have just put new set of o rings on the 53 Irvine carb as that was leaking a little when last used ( 5 years ago) but before i start them up what is the best thing to lube them up.

cant get any after run oil from LHS as they have run out.

Engines in question are 53 irvine, 46 LA , ASP 90 FS. All were running fine when last used , been stored in dry loft but i hadnt given them any afterrun treatment which i should have done.

they all turn over by hand ok with no grinding noises , they were run on prosynth 2000 which from what i have reed has a corrosion inhibiter so im hoping they will be fine

Advert

Sometimes if you put a little new fuel in the carb and glow area it helps disolve the old gunk and then turn it over a few times and drain it out again, you could also try WD40 that can help too (doesn't harm the engine) many guys use it instead of afterrun oil at my club.

Hope this helps

Edited By Tony H on 27/01/2013 13:10:15

Edited By Tony H on 27/01/2013 13:10:37

WD 40 is designed to disperse water .Your new carb "O" ring won't take kindly to it if exposed long term .I would just soak it with fuel for a while .Then expel it and start it up once nice and free .

Just a thought by the way,engines have been known to fire on WD 40 present internally without the glow plug being powered .

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 27/01/2013 16:03:28