Titan scroll saw

Axminster Power Tools do the pinned blades .

Check out Axminster cheap scroll saw which is similar to Screwfix but takes pinned blades and also fretsaw blades too. About the same price and has a cast iron table ( =heavy & resists vibration ) while the Screwfix might be pressed metal or cast alloy.

You will see the stated weight of the Axminster machine is 20 kilos while the Screwfix is 14.9 k which almost certainly means only the Axminster has a cast iron table. If you need to move the machine around often then the lighter weight might be better but otherwise the cast iron is superior and worth the extra few pounds cost. Also the Axminster has fitments for fretsaw blades available or included (check ) These are worthwhile as it means finer blades can be used and much easier to obtain for long term peace of mind.

All these similar machines Axminster, Screwfix, Draper, B& Q look as though they come from the same castings and factory. However the spec varies and the fit and finish may be quite different.

My Axminster FS16 is now about 20 years old and basically the same as current model but lacks dust blower. Cost 95 pounds then and they were 125 pounds a year earlier! Had light use for 20 years & still going strong. Perfect for aeromodelling etc and easily cuts 6mm birch ply. Will cut upto about an inch in beech with enough care and a coarse blade but its, not really ideal for thick work. Note that it's very difficult to make really dead straight cuts with any scrollsaw! Blade tension is the key.

You dont need variable speed except for metal or plastic work. If you do lots of internal cuts then a quick release blade would be better but its hardly worthwhile for aeromodelling. So the more expensive machines are not needed in my opinion.

For aeromodelling you need the finest available TPI in pin ended blades. 18TPI is the finest pin ended avail now but 24TPI used to be available. Fretsaw blades can be much finer.

However note that even though I have the scroll saw ready to go I still prefer to cut only the curved bits with it and use a very fine toothed japanese type pullsaw ( about 10 pounds) for all the straight cuts on ply formers etc,

I traded my old Diamond fretsaw in and bought a SIP scroll saw (sorry I still think of them as fretsaws) from Toolstation. £124. This uses both standard blades and pinned blades. Spent most of yesterday using it. I really like it, it has a cast iron tilt table, a work light and a laser and variable speed (sorry, I disagree with the above, it is really useful). I spent most of yesterday using it. It is quite easy to change blades. It seems a little different from the normal offerings that come out of the same factory but in different coulours in China.

Its very stable with little vibration. The only drawback I have with it is the plastic insert on the table where the blade goes is a tad low. I might put a thin ring of epoxy round the metal hole, and press the plastic insert down into it to form a thin shim. I doubt the plastic will stick should i ever need to remove it.

Well you have made your choices so let us know how you get on. In particular tell us if they have the adaptors for non pin end ( fretsaw) blades. You may be able to get them as spares. Maybe from Axminster if not - they will probably fit.

I still believe that variable speed is not likely to be used for aeromodelling ( i.e. ply up to 6mm ) so it's not necessary but one thing that can go wrong. In fact reports say speed controller failed after a few hours use on 2 consecutive machines! So test them extensively whilst new....

I have to say the SIP machine looks attractive in several details, the 45 degree both ways tilt, the dust blower hose and the LED light seem nice. But whether it is worth so much more than a fixed speed Axminster is debateable.

The SIP website shows packs of 10 assorted pin ended blades for 48 pence which seems exceptionally cheap. I have no idea of the quality but it might always be handy to have some spares in stock in case the supply dries up. ( scrollsaw blades are not the same as Coping saw blades)

Hi KC

Just come out of the shed after setting up the saw, The adapters for non pinned blades are supplied so thats handy. The machine seems very sturdy with very low vibration but may be better when its bolted down. Blade alignment had to be set to get a straight cut but apart from that all was well. I will let you know how it performs after more extensive use, DJW

I have been using my Titan for about 5 years now and I use it a lot. No problems.

I buy blades from Squires. Phone is 01243 842424.

Ask for their tool catalogue. It is free and full of everything that you could possibly need. I buy my glues from them.

Postage is free over £15 which is their minimum order. And making up a minimum order is no problem. the problem is cutting down your list to affordable levels.