Wots Wot - aileron linkage help

Simon B

Advert

I don't know what size engine you have in your plane but I would seriously consider fitting 3 mm rods between lower and upper ailerons with 3 mm clevises if you have a 61 or larger engine in it.

I don't think the 2mm bike spokes are fit for purpose when they are over 3 or 4 inches in length.

On my ultimate bipe I used 3 mm rods with a 3 mm ball joint one end and a 3 mm clevis the other, this makes dismantling the plane easier.

If you are committed to 2 mm rods, then reinforce them with either brass or aluminium or carbon fibre tube epoxied over the rod to stiffen it up.

Just my two p.

Hello simon . I hav'nt got any pics to hand but using normal horns fixed to the ailerons you will get differential between the top and bottom aileron. to get the same movement I have found it best to make horns from paxolin or glass fiber sheet that slot into the aileron from the trailing edge . Fixing them like that you will get both ailerons to move the same and get smoother control . For rods I have used some thin carbon tubing with some short lenghts of threaded rod cyano'd into the ends then for the clevis to be screwed on to . The ends of the carbon tube will have to be bound with some thread and coated with some cyano as it splits very easily. this makes very stiff , strong and light rods .

I'm with ED here.....connecting the ailerons via horns mounted on the ailerons themselves produces all sorts of horrible movements & differential because of the "rotation" of the horns. Some epoxy fibreboard (or similar) let into each trailing edge & epoxied in place is much better. Join these together with a length of metal rod with a threaded clevis at one end. Since the link rods are often quite long too, slip a length of carbon tube over the metal rod (again epoxied in place) to stiffen it up & stop it bending....