Frankeinstein lives!

Cliff Bastow

Just maidened my bitza project. Flew well although did need lots of up trim and bit short of elevator on landing. Bit nose heavy maybe? As the name implies it is made of bits of three different models. The only new item is the prop. Fuselage was given to me by a club member. Fin and tailplane are from a Britflight Breeze which came with a new fuselage i ordered. Wing is from an unbilt glider kit i bought at a boot sale for £6. It is powered by an irvine 20 from a swapmeet for £10 with a mount and tank. Everything else is from my scrapbox.

Cant descripe the sense of achivement in something like this. Beats flying the best artf. i know the finish is not the best in places but i have had great pleasure in the build and hopefully will now have great fun flying it. I would recomend to anyone to have a go at building something.

bitza

bitza

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 01/02/2013 14:59:23

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/03/2013 23:43:37

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/03/2013 23:44:06

Advert

Thanks for the great comments. No they are both made of balsa. Both basically box fuselages and flat plate wings. They look better in photos than in real life! The cannard is about two years old and has had many flights. Its on its second nose as i snapped the first off when i tried to launch it on the wrong model memory. oops! Mig has flown about 10 times. Canard is from a free plan in Model World and Mig is from plan in RCME.

Bit of a disaster, I was enjoying the third flight of the day, Pulled up into a loop when one wing parted company! I had to watch hopelessly as the fuselage and remaining wing plumeted to earth spinning madly. I did have the foresight to shut the throttle. The model ended up in the long grass at the edge of the field and I could still see the backend and fin sticking up at about 45 deg. Luckly another flyer watched the wing come to earth. Imagine my surprise on reaching the model to find it in one peice! It had gone down the side of a ditch at exactly the right angle only braking the prop and snapping u/c bolts. About 9 inches in front of where it ended up was a concrete plinth hidden in the ditch! (our field is an old ww2 airfield) how lucky? the wing had snapped cleanly in half.

Two days later now and its rebuilt with a large dihedral brace and struts under the wings! I have also added a bit of downthrust and moved elevator and rudder servos to the back end so I could take some weights of the back. I will report further when work and weather allows a test flight.

I have learnt a lesson about wing strength and I guess thats how we learn but I was lucky to get away with so little damage.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 11/02/2013 17:24:14

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 11/02/2013 17:49:26

• 1 month later...

Still not been able to test fly after rebuild due to work commitments and weather never seems nice on days off. how does it know i wonder? hopefully some nicer weather is around the corner although looking out of the window at the snow falling i am not filled with hope. I will update when i do finally get the chance to testfly again.

• 2 weeks later...