Stampe refurbishment and restoration - Rothmans colours

cymaz

Dylan, Your model has come along in leaps and bounds and looking like a good box of chocolates to me. flying wires yep get em on.

Stearman Andy this is for you

583.jpg

this girl is going throught restoration and i was allowed in the workshop ( Luskityre, Australia)

587.jpg

I am terrible with a camera, and i was welcome to crawl under, get closer, but where do you start? unless you are after the scale details a few quick shots does me. Flying wires are very noticeable.

Advert

Don´t want to use this thread for my privat conversation and plane, but thank you for the lovely pics of that beauty engine and plane, my nickname is "Stearmanandy", cause I fly once a year the real one on our local air show (what a fun !!!!! love it), that´s of course the reason why I needed to build one.

But back to Stampe

I would love to do that

Real formation flight 2

with all of you guys, but it will end up as my personal dream

Real formation flight 1

The Stampe is really unknown and unused model in Germany.....so just a dream....and looks a bit dumb with so much "Rothmans" wink

Real formation flight 3

I guess it´s a real adventure, to carry that kind of model in my 20kg flybe luagage crying 2

Cheers

Andy

UPDATEmail

With the down thrust reduced to 2 degrees and the Laser 150 bolted in, I took it up to RCCornwall fliers site at Truro Airfield today . 8-9 mph lovely sunny weather.

Took off on under 3/4 throttle climbed away lovely. Rolls scale like, always tips a port wing on the stall.

Cruises majestically round on 1/2 throttle, flares out nicely on landing....you can tell I'm happypartyparty. Shall I carry on?? No I will bore all to death.

Needles to say its a transformed model and if nothing stupid happens in the next few weeks and the weather is kind, you WILL see the grand old lady at Greenacres.

Thankyou BBC.

I am right in thinking you subscribe to the rcme mag? If so, I'm hoping that I get a mention at this Junes' meeting as I did last year, ( am I having another 15 mins of fame- hope so).

That's something else I've learnt, watch the engine downthrust, it makes a differenceidea

Dylan, thanks for the interest. I will be starting the Precedent soon, but as you realise I've been doing other projects that have not been a failure by any meanswink 2.

I know I sometimes bang on about a 1/4 Scale Meteor Monoplane I built ( similar to Richard Gingers' I think), that flew today. And well too. Photos and video was taken. Hopefully this will come to Greenacres all being well.

I will put it on a new thread. Probably called Meteor Monoplane Cropduster. We will wait and see how the photos and vid turn out first as I don't want to publish bad looking/ out of focus stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Flew the Rothmans 3 times on Saturdayyes. Cooling a bit of an issue so put a baffle from the rectangle inlet to the engine fins to enhance the baffles already there. Also put a baffle under the cowl with a lip to help pull the air through. We'll see how it goes.it won't do any harm.

Any one want a picture?

For Dylanwink 2

The underside showing the blanking plate and lip. The lip is important to provide low pressure to suck out hot air.

cowl.jpg

cowl2.jpg

Now you might need to sit down  for this...

cowl3.jpg

This shows the front cowl plate with the port side baffle epoxied in and angled onto the mid of engine. The air must go through the fins. Air is baffled onto the cylinder head.

cowl4.jpg

This shows the starboard side baffles - just. This forces the air through the fins.

cowl5.jpg

A real close up of the head and port side.

cowl6.jpg

Port side baffle goes all the way up so all the cylinder has cooling.

Bear in mind that the Rothmans cowl is slightly different from the Precedent type but the method should still be the same.

Edited By cymaz on 27/05/2013 13:52:19

Thanks Cymaz, yeah not sure exactly how to sort out the fg cowl that I bought for the precedent, but certainly some ideas there on yours that I can play about with, still working on the interplane struts atm, might just go with my fixed ones for now and remake them at a later date since there isn't long to go before greenacres and I need to maiden her firstface 14

dscn5567.jpgDylan, I have got a thread about a Precedent kit adn about my f.g. cowl but here are some pictures anyway..

dscn5566.jpg

I made the cowl frame up from the kit and then put the baffle onto that.dscn5565.jpg

These pictures are all I have at the moment but it gets my idea across. The wood took alot of sanding down to fit inside the glass cowl. The structure can also be totally unscrewed off the main former.

Edited By cymaz on 29/05/2013 09:36:57