Stampe refurbishment and restoration - Rothmans colours

cymaz

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

Flew it Sunday afternoon in the wonderful sunshine.

I have done a small modification on the undercarriage...I have added the rear U/C strut that goes from the crucifix to a fixing point on the fuselage at about lower wing trailing edge. This has stopped the main legs from flopping backwards while still giving them plenty of spring travel.

undercarriage legs close up.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 19/04/2016 20:08:51

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's my new acquisition to the hanger, a well beat up Precedent Stampe that is definitely in need of some TLC. The Monokote covering is so brittle that my 2 year old granddaughter could put her pinkie through it, the horizontal stabilizer is damaged (you can move the stab halves up and down), one tip of the upper wing is missing and the engine cowl is a mess. Since it was free, I'm not complaining!

Things to do are to strip the covering, make the stab repairs, replace the wing tip (fortunately I have a kit on hand) and bin the engine cowling as I have a nice fiberglass replacement. I thought of replacing the wire gear struts with a more scale arrangement and add more scale touches such as a forward cockpit and other tidbits. It currently looks like a Rothman's scheme except for the different colors so I'll go with something representative of an existing full size. I also thought of putting a fake registration following my wife's favorite smarty pants comment (G-BTME). However, that's not written in stone. For power, I'm considering an electric conversion and using one of APC's left hand rotation props. For an airplane of this size, I'm surprised that it is a considerably light weight airframe. Enjoy the photos.

img_4783.jpgimg_4784.jpgimg_4785.jpg

Edited By Michael Denest on 21/01/2017 21:12:12

• 2 years later...

The CG on the Precedent plan is wrong, it makes it tail heavy. Off the top of my head, without getting the plane together and hunting through my thread, ( it was covered in some detail on there) it is just about in front of the top wing mounting bolts.

Best bet is to scan through the thread and see if you can find it....I will have a look tocool

HERE is the Precendent build blog. The Rothmans Stampe I used to have was a Svenson kit. Almost the same dimensions except the Precendent kit was an inch longer in the fuselage. The Svenson kit had plug in wings and real working  rigging. I glued the wings together and it worked well.

Edited By cymaz on 08/05/2019 17:41:24

Edited By cymaz on 08/05/2019 17:45:11