Should we be licenced

I've only had time to speed read all of the above, so forgive me if someone has already raised these points -

Having a "licence" implies that it could be suspended or taken away for not complying with conditions e.g 3 points for each crash, 3 points for not performing pre-flight checks, 3 point for reaching over a prop to tune an engine, 9 points for flying over the pits or car park. Get to 12 points and pick up your prize of a £60 fine and a 12 month ban.

A licence could also give a considerable, much needed boost to the economy, as the BMFA as licencing body would need to employ a few thousand "model pilot police" to oversee the system.

Personally, I don't know of anywhere I could fly the mythical 40lb 200mph ARTF jet without joining a club? It certainly wouldn't get out of my local park 'cos there are obstacles such as rugby posts and a bandstand!!!

I suggest we stick to model flying and not become wanabee politicians. The whole thing reminds me of the rumour that the BMFA were going to insist on concrete bunkers for starting engines.

Graeme

Advert

Posted by Tony Bennett on 11/02/2013 20:36:00:

but that is america, where you can buy anything.

You didn't qualify the statement. wink 2

As far as I'm aware, there is no licencing requirement to buy a bow and arrow in this country, so this sort of thing could happen here.

Edited By Devon Flyer on 11/02/2013 20:39:22

Coo. This one's going on a bit.

You can almost tell the age of the posters by their comments.

I would like to nominate this thread for the "wind up of the year" award, even though it's only February. You do realise BEB that you are causing a lot of mumbling into cups of Ovaltine, particularly at this time of day.

Kevinb Enjoy a good wind up section.

We were licenced once until a certain political leader decided she would get more votes from 'Citizen Band radio' operators and pinched our frequency off of us. To start up the process again, who would pay for it, who would administer it and who would police it, I think it would be prohibitivly expensive to re-introduce licences, also with so many different kinds of transmitter out there 27, 35 & now 2.4 it would be impossible to contain it again.

Posted by PatMc on 11/02/2013 15:58:21:
Posted by Craig Carr on 11/02/2013 15:17:33:

But I think its worth making it crystal clear to anyone who wishes to fly at meggies burn that the key part of the licence is that (extract) only members of the club (ie bvrmc) shall operate model aircraft from the land during the times permitted

So effectively to fly at meggies burn (council land) you need to be a member of the club in accordance with the licence.

Craig, I wasn't disputing the fact that only members of BVRMC are allowed to fly at the site. I was pointing out that BVRMC's doesn't have an arrangement anything like BEB's club.

The point is that we have been effectively self regulating without any conditions imposed on us by the council for over 40 years. The council are satisfied with the manner that the club has operated in that time & have authorised us to regulate all model flying there as we see fit

Thats ok pat thanks, I just didn't want that point muddied, especially regarding an earlier posting.

The council btw, do state in the licence that the club maintain adequate and proper insurance with a reputable insurance company against all risks etc etc...

Since the club discharge this requirement via BMFA affiliation then the council have, by default, made BMFA affiliation (or a suitable body that can achieve the same thing) a mandatory condition of our tenancy on the field.

craig.

What I was trying to do was see if the forum community could sustain a good natured rational debate about a topic that is very controversial and on which there would be a wide range of views. And for a considerable time we suceeded. But now, we start to see the slide sadly

What I think happens here is some people stop reading and following the argument - instead they see the title, examine the few posts above the point they intend to post at and then wade in. So then the emotive, paesonalised language starts to come in:

"I'm livid" - really? So you're saying you can't even consider a radical idea without engaging your emotions?

"wanna be politicians" - ah yes, if someone says something you disagree with simply "label" them in suitably denegrating fashion - much easier than trying to rationally counter the argument.

"End of" - for that read "thou shallt not discuss any ideas I don't agree with."

Gentlemen, I think you are missing the point. I suggest you return to the start of the tread and read the OP and the first 6 pages or so - when the standard of debate was much higher.

We'll wrap it up now. For much of the thread its been an interesting, well informed and tolerant adult debate. And again I thank those who contributed in that vein.

BEB