Radio gear help please

Dusty

Hi there guys!

Well after many years flying with Futaba, (Learnt on a J series) my Skysport 6 packed up on the weekend and i lost a awesome plane and nearly a motor... still need to bench test but O.S not let me down yet!

Anyway i have always spent the extra cash on the better plane's etc and not so much upgrading the Radio gear! Now is the time!

Everyone is harping on about 2.4Ghz but in my case i have loads of planes and loads of reciever's... so surely having I 35mhz set and 1Tx crystel with all the same Frq crystels for the Rx saves me a hassle! 1 transmiiter to fly shockies-to my big models!

I was looking at the Futaba 6EX5 6ch, or possibly a Graupner MX-16 i think it is... I lliving and flying Germany for the next couple of months so I am try to see where getting the kit would be easier and of course in this hobby to keep the price down for the quality!

Any help in getting me back on the horse after being let down by tools of the trade/ or Sh$% happens would be greatly appreciated as i need to make a buy soon to get 1.flying again 2.not loose a plane to radio failure etc.

I attched another reciever to the servos and with same transmitter the servos were twitching violenty about 20m apart! same reciever differnt Tx no problems! I will take the Tx apart and see what problem is... possibly ariel? I only used it the day before with a shockie and no probs!

going round in circles!

Advert

Sorry to hear your news Dustin. Good advice above by Timbo, the future is going to be 2.4Ghz, but I was in your situation a few years back and wanted to operate my fleet all on ch.64 from a basic 20 year old 6ch Futaba Challenger to a computer Tx. The cost of replacing 8 Rx's though to 2.4Ghz was not at the top of my wish list.

I've ended up with the 6 ch JR2610 Tx that copes with 10 models and operates perfectly with all my JR, Hitec and Futaba Rx's. It is a cinch to use. It's only down side for me is that it hasn't a count down programmable timer and beeper. It has a resettable count up timer that with the odd glance down has surficed. The good news...it comes complete with nicads for £85 and feels a real quality piece of kit.

http://alshobbies.com/shop/cat.php?id=280&Desc=

One other thing, JR Tx's have their charging leads reversed to Hitec and Futaba, so to continue using their wall chargers, you'd need to swap the red and black leads to the Tx charge socket.

I'm sure that there are similar deals on other Tx makes but I've only had the JR and have been totally satisfied with it. Models requiring more than 6 channels have been got round easily with 'y' leads or servo reversing leads (like on one model where each Flap and Aileron have a servo each)...

Guys thanks for the help... david I am going to look at that link now! I have just called them and they said they will post to me! In the shope here they want to 250euro for a Graupner MX-16... looks good but only Tx, Rx, 1 servo!

Timbo yes the 2.4 would be the ultimate but the problem get loads of reciever's at a big cost! Def something i would really like but possibly wait for the pay rise ha ha!

thanks guys!

Hallo Tim

I heard on the field on Sunday that Futaba are calling in all there 2.4 tx's.  Have no confirmation of this, but as I have said in the past, my very clever relative who is a boffin at BAE does not share your admiration for 2.4.

You obviously think it's the bees knees, but in the light of recent developments, are you still as enthusiastic?

Absolutely. The only sets which are being re-called are just a few from Futaba, and they use a different SS system to the Spektrum ( JR really ).

I have not had one single complaint or problem with all my 2.4 Ghz models which now number 15 - all flying.

Despite the small setback to the 2.4Hgz idea which Futaba have created....it WILL replace 35Mhz completely one day, that is of course...... until the next big thing.

Does your boffin friend actually fly or work on R/C models ? If not....then his opinions are not really very valid

There are Millions of 2.4Ghz equipped systems of all types all around the globe, and for certain applications it may not be ideal....but it works fine for my hobby 

No, he does not fly RC models Tim, he is only responsible for missiles!!

His point to me was basically what you have just reiterated, and his question to me followed that trend, namely - there are thousands of different sorts of tatty old electronic gismos out there using this band, are you happy that it's foolproof for your expensive models.

Well .....nearly, yes

The likelyhood of some "tatty old equipment" being close enough to the vicinity in which I fly my models is slim. The radiated power of a heck of a lot of 2.4Ghz is limited anyway and on top of all that, the statistics in MY real world R/C flying experience are clear.

20+ years of 35 Mhz gear - mainly JR, some Futaba, some "other" ( multiplex, schulze, Jeti etc ) has given mainly good results, but also includes the following....

Several models ( at least 5 ) lost due to radio failure of some sort, including PCM lockout and other unexplained signal loss. Shot down and destroyed 1 X new model belonging to a clubmate, switched on and ALMOST caused another but realised in time ( bet there,s not many peeps who can HONESTLY say they havent in 30 years of R/C flying). Lost 2 models of my own through others shooting me down. Almost all electric powered models ever built /flown experienced glitching ranging from either very mild, to severe.....even when used with top quality gear in one particular case ( EDF )

15months of Spektrum 2.4Ghz - not one single glitch or problem of any type to date. The time span may be short by comparison, but I have done probably almost 50% as much flying in the last 15 months than I did in the 20 years of 35mhz - due to work, family,money, and time restraints in the earlier days.

I dont say its foolproof, and have always maintained that ANY radio control system is subject to failure due to its complexity. I just happen to believe, and statistics have shown, that this new 2.4 stuff is less likely to cause a problem than 35Mhz.

I love it.

I cannot fault what you say Tim, allbeit, if nothing else, through massive inexperience, although I have suffered in my short (nearly 3 yrs) in the sport (is it sport , or leisure?).  I believe I related in a previous thread that I lost a Weston Cougar which developed a mind of its own just as I was on my landing approach.

I have framed the transmitter!!

Fair enough Royden. I'm sure he works with defence standard equipment, that provides far more accurate and reliable guidance free from jamming or interference, but then that's what you'd expect of course when defence budgets run into the billions. 

As users of domsetic consumer equipment we, on the other hand have little choice as to the type of gear we can lay our hands on, at least on a sensible budget.

Guys thanks...

I managed to get hold of a Graupner MX-16 for the same price as the JR and save on the postage! Thanks for the links... I was almost sold with the JR but the MX-16 has a sythesiser to select what channel you want to fly on which saves alot of hassle! They hard to find with a English menu but so far its A+ and easy to use!