Another Panther build

Koen Smits

After reading the artikel about the Panther autogyro, i'm going to build one.

The problem how to get the parts drawn onto the wood isolved in the following manner. Some years ago i bought a Calcomp drawingboard on a garage sale.

foto demo 001.jpg

Because the drawingboard is out of the Dos era, no drivers for windows XP. Therefor i wrote a small programm in VB 2008.

foto demo 002.jpg

After scanning a part into the programm, it can be saved as a dxf file.

This dxf file can be loaded in a CAD programm ( autocad, drafsign or simular).

foto demo 016.jpg

After drawing some circles and lines trough the scanned coordinates you wil get a perfect drawing. this drawing has to be saved again as dxf file.

foto demo 014.jpg

Results in

foto demo 015.jpg

The drawing in the example gets divided into two files, the middle piece and the side pieces from the mast. And prepared to use in the router control software

foto demo 005.jpg

Advert

Olly, it would be nice if the free plan was also digital available with the digital issue and not only with the printed issue.

The past 2 days did some glueing from the parts, Checking if i did not make a banana.

foto demo 018.jpg

Because the sheets are not wide enough to go around the radius in one piece, I have to divide them in two. Prerolled sheet fit on the radius, the sheet is prerolled on dogfood tins.

foto demo 019.jpg

foto demo 017.jpg

For those people who ask, how do you get those lang tapered stringers, possible next pictures maybe of help.

foto demo 020.jpg

Take a new and straight sheet hard balse from 6mm or', pin down the sheet were you would cut the stringers from, this sheet sould be the length from the stringers.

leave the sheet 3 mm + the thinnest side of the stringer over the guide sheet and ad th widest side of the stringer, 3 mm + the widest size of the stringer.

foto demo 021.jpg

adjust the guide on the table saw, including the ticknes of the saw at the width of the guide sheet + 3 mm. Now you can cut of the first stringer.

foto demo 022.jpg

adjust the guide on the table saw to cut the sheet parallel again, i.e. cut of the second stringer.

foto demo 023.jpg

repeat above, until you habe enough stringers

Edited By Koen Smits on 21/02/2013 20:43:07

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, you are making very fast progress!

I am encouraged to start one of these, but am puzzled by a couple of things. It appears that the rudder servo is permanently built in to the fuz with no access. Do you think it possible to fit it low down in the main central bay and a throttle servo in the forward bay alongside a fuel tank?

Also, can I ask what you will use for the main rotor bearing? This is another sticking point for me at the moment. If I can solve that problem, I can get started..

Keep up the good work! It's looking very smart so far.

Regards,

Tentpeg.

Posted by Tentpeg on 15/03/2013 16:37:45:

Hi, you are making very fast progress!

I am encouraged to start one of these, but am puzzled by a couple of things. It appears that the rudder servo is permanently built in to the fuz with no access. Do you think it possible to fit it low down in the main central bay and a throttle servo in the forward bay alongside a fuel tank?

Also, can I ask what you will use for the main rotor bearing? This is another sticking point for me at the moment. If I can solve that problem, I can get started..

Keep up the good work! It's looking very smart so far.

Regards,

Tentpeg.

Hi Tentpeg,

I made a bay behind former #4. here i put the receiver and rudderservo.

foto demo 042.jpg

foto demo 043.jpg

for the rest from your questions you will find the answers in de following tread.

**LINK**

Koen

Edited By Koen Smits on 15/03/2013 21:38:26

Posted by Kevin Howard on 21/03/2013 15:24:30:

Koen,

I was also thinking of buiding a Panther. I have access to a laser cutting machine and wonder if I could have a copy of your DFX files, save me drawing them out.

Regards

Kevin

Sorry Kevin,

Because of the fact, there is a copyright on the drawing and i think also on the design of the panther and i don't want to get involved into copyright questions, i can't give you the dxf-files.

Regards

Koen

Edited By Koen Smits on 28/03/2013 14:12:53