Repairing artf covering.

Mark Harrison 579

After a month or two away from flying, mostly cos it's flipping cold, I ventured out this morning. Due to wind direction I had to make my landing approach from an unusual direction. During the final approach I misjudged the distance to the model and flew into the tops of some trees. The model, a kyosho calmato has suffered only covering damage to an upper and lower wing. Can anyone advise a decent way to repair the covering or is it likely to be a Sellotape job, as per my arising star?

Mark

Advert

Mark, it depends where it is, how bad it is and how you want it to look afterwards.

Sellotape works, up to a point.

Individual panels can often be cut out and then an oversized panel of film ironed on in it's place.
If a solid colour is acceptable then you're done.
If you want to replicate what was there before then you need trim material in all the original colours.

If it's really bad, then a whole wing top or bottom can be recovered in the base colour or even a contrasting one.

One idea... If it is a patch, Pop into a local sign makers and ask if you can have some offcuts of sticky vinyl. [The stuff they use for lettering] With a bit of imagination you can decorate/repair a damaged panel. What about some stars? or Diamonds?

Also its worth getting really good sticky tape - archive quality stuff won't go yellow and fall off. I think Sellotape "Crystal" would be one, but 3M and Scotch would both make one also.