Info please on 40 plus year old Webra 2.5

Dale Gibson

Hi guys,

My Dad built a free flight plane back around the late 60's/early70's and after an unsuccesful maiden never bothered with it anymore. Well, the plane has been in the back of his garage ever since and today I dug it out and brought it home.

I am after some info on the engine which is stamped Webra 2.5 and looks like an old diesel engine. It was only run a few times and turns over with good compression......I love vintage style kits and was wondering what size plane this would be suitable for and how I should go about getting in running again?

img_1170.jpg

img_1180.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Dale.

Edited By Dale Gibson on 10/03/2013 20:24:52

Advert

Dale, it's a Webra Winner. Lighter but not as powerful as a PAW 2.5cc possibly around the same output as an AM25.

Here's one being bench run using a 9x4 prop.

You'll need to clean it up to make sure no grit gets into it then lubricate with a few drops of light oil (e.g. 3 in 1). Depends on your locality as to where you can get fuel, either Model Technics D-1000 Easy Start or D-2000 Sports Special are probably about the easiest to obtain. Only start by hand flicking - don't be tempted to use a starter - it's too easy to bend a conrod or even crank pin & you probably won't be able to get any spares.
There was a muffler made for them which you probably won't be able to get anywhere now. They are not particularly loud engines but it depends on your local site whether an unsilenced engine will be tolerated.

Edited By PatMc on 10/03/2013 21:03:50

Dale, I doubt that you will be able to obtain the Webra instructions but I have a scanned copy of the general instructions for starting & operating the DC Quickstart range of diesels. Also a scanned article "Operating Your First Diesel" from a 1959 model aero engines book.

It's not possible to post them here but if you would like a copy of either or both PM me with your email address. The DC scan is 2.5Mb, the article is only 39kb because it doesn't contain any illustrations.

Hi Dale . It would also be a good idea to get a diesel user or a member of the "oily hand society " smiley to show you how to set it up and start it . The instructions set out the basics but dont tell you what to listen for . You have to get used to the sound of a diesel as an over compressed engine could be damaged if not corrected .

regards